What is freedom?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A thread on another board I frequent has a heated thread about freedom. Ok, actually its about a stupid weapons dealer who got busted in Toronto at a sci-fi con selling illegal weapons to kids.

But one of the staff of another con is arguing that the dealers rights were violated by arresting him and closing his booth.

Heres the thread:
http://blaser.tzo.com/tcon/viewtopic.php?t=2839

I'm interested in what y'all have to say, especially those who may deal in weapons in Canada.

Thanks!

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, we have limits on our freedom - otherwise, we'd have anarchy, which is not good. Anarchy is bad. Some social organization can be good. Having a legal structure can be good. That means you will be punished if you do something.... illegal! Do I think all laws are perfect? Nope. I'd like to see "victimless" crimes (some kinds of drug use, etc.) become much less severely punished, if at all, and crimes against another person's well-being (be it rape, battery, murder, whathaveyou) be much more severely punished.

But I digress. :)

People getting hysterical about their freedoms sometimes can be using that because they know they have no good excuse for what they have done as a person who understands the society they live in.

Let us not confuse that situation with someone who is arguing about changing the social/legal structure to allow more freedoms, or engaged in peaceful protest.

This guy? ppppfffft.