What does YOUR kaia sound like?

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to post what your kaia sounds like and see which is most popular.

My Sifus kaia is a little strange, sort of a nasal, "EIs!" whereas I have the boring old, "Hai".

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't kaia.

There was a female instructor at our studio for years though who said, "Die!"

Another female instructor has a way of gloating as she says, "Is-sah!", but its usually a joke, as in, haha I got you...

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sam said:
I don't kaia.

There was a female instructor at our studio for years though who said, "Die!"

Another female instructor has a way of gloating as she says, "Is-sah!", but its usually a joke, as in, haha I got you...

Mine tends to shift around from a "d-AIh" to a short "hIEGh".

My kenpo instructor prefers to teach a "smooth rolling kiai" sounding more like "B-R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-rR-TT"

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine is kind of "iggggggahhhh". Wow, looks dorky when you type it out.

JeffJ

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Really soft, bordering on mumbling. Which, by the way, I can't help, because I'm naturally quiet. Though, I have been known to sing loud. And sometimes, when I get REALLY excited, I get loud. Weird, huh?

I think it's a self-conscious thing!

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
I thought it might be fun to post what your kaia sounds like and see which is most popular.

My Sifus kaia is a little strange, sort of a nasal, "EIs!" whereas I have the boring old, "Hai".

I tend to sorta growl "YUH".

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My 4 year old son (who is a Little Dragon) says "Hiiii-Yaaaaahhhh!!"

I say "Yabba Dabba Dooooooo!!" Just kidding (but that would be fun sometime, no?!) Mine is more like "See-uh, Suh or Eye-yah"

An old karate buddy of mine who I don't see anymore used to go thru the vowels!! Each time, it would change......AAAAAA, then the next time EEEEEEE, then IIIII and so on.....it was hilarious. When he got to UUUU, he'd start all over again!!

The last seminar I was at, Mr. Planas said none of us should be separating our teeth to yell. He said anything you say, you should be able to say with teeth closed/clenched tightly so as not to get injured (as much) if you get hit in the mouth during conflict. Mine doesn't pass the test!!

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Mine is kind of "iggggggahhhh". Wow, looks dorky when you type it out.

JeffJ

A blackbelt I trained with when I was in TSD made a memorable and rather awesome "DOOD!!" sound. At least equally dorky in type, lol.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
iut ...i guess lol or maybe ight (think alright but just but the the last part)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine is a carry over from my Marine Corps days. Sounds alot like the bark that Marines will give back and forth to one another...kinda like saying "yes" in japanese very loudly and from deep in the hara.

When I am allowed to teach kids class kiais are one of the things that I really stress to the kids during falls. Most of them will take the fall, pause for a second after the slap out and then say "key-eye" in a conversational tone.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tend to use "uusss" whenever I am getting hit. My kiais for forms are either a loud and short "HI" or it can sound like "HissAH".

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Andy Moynihan said:
Only thing I do close to a "kiai" is the same thing I learned back in my boxing days, a kind of "Sshh" effect which tightens your gut and adds the juice to your punch same as the shout would but without unnecessary drama.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I like the fact my mouth stays closed during this as well( the jaw is easiest to break whilst the mouth is ajar).

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have several that just come out on their own. 1) Ayahhhhh!!! 2) Dieeeesh!!!! 3) Kyohhhhh! 4) Suuuuuuuu!!! These are hara sounds I've been developing though Kotonama practice. I've been told in one non-traditional TKD school to be quiet as I was distracting the studio. :rolleyes:

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, when I'm fighting, I don't really kaia at all, just "ssst" and/or "huh" exhales when punching.

In MA forms I use an "Aiyo". Supposedly, the Guhrkas yelled "Ghurkali Aiyo!" when attacking and then used the Aiyo repeatedly as a kaia during combat, so that's how I was taught. But honestly - we don't use it much at all.

My teacher taught me, "While they're building indomitable will through kaia - hit 'em" ;)

Latest Discussions