What do you think of Frank Shamrock as a Martial Artist?

MysticNinjaJay

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what people think of MMA fighter Frank Shamrock adopting Traditional Martial Arts Philosophy when explaining his approach to competing in MMA.

Here are a few videos of Frank Shamrock for those unfamiliar with him, including the latest video on Sherdog about his analysis of his opponent.

And a few links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Shamrock

http://www.frankshamrock.com/

http://www.askmen.com/toys/interview_200/236_frank_shamrock_interview.html

I'm putting this in the General Talk section because I want an all encompassing view from the board not just those that follow MMA.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
MysticNinjaJay

MysticNinjaJay

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about a martial artist, but as a MMA Fighter, his record speaks for itself.

That's not in question. But I was hoping to hear views on his Martial Arts philosophy. Frank is one of the most outspoken fighters in MMA. I often wonder about how seriously he should be taken because sometimes he sounds genuine and sometimes he just seems to be talking smack.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ever see a professional MMA guy that didnt talk smack?

Thats the main reason I have little to no interest in MMA. Too many attitudes, too little humility

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think it is great he is adopting some traditional thinking to his blend of MMA.

One thing I get from Frank is that he is smart enought to know there are differences between ring fighting, streetfighting (Brawling/ Dueling)and self defense (surviving attacks) and they should all be trained for accordingly.

Too many MMAist think that they are doing the ultimate MA and look down at the older arts. BUG MISTAKE! Frank and Bas Ruttin dont do that, they respect the arts that came before and Modern Combative systems of today.

I am also glad to see someone in MMA teaching their younger students traditional martial values and acts of respect.

OP
MysticNinjaJay

MysticNinjaJay

White Belt
Reaction score

Thats the main reason I have little to no interest in MMA. Too many attitudes, too little humility

I've seen plenty of humble guys in MMA, such as Frank's next opponent Cung Le. Frank is a great showman. I have no problem with a fighter showing some confidence in his abilities and hyping a fight. It's when they say things that are total B.S. and become disrespectful that I disapprove.

Frank seems to straddle the fence. He talks as much trash as his opponent does. If you are respectful he will tone down the taunting. He loves to play head games which he feels are part of the sport.

I'm interested in hearing what people think of Frank as a representative of Martial Arts the way he wants to be.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually yes, I know a great many MMA fighters who don't "talk smack" thank you! the vast majority of them as well as the semi pros and the amateurs are decent humble guys and girls.
You are talking about the few who fight in promotions like UFC not the vast majority of martials artists who practice MMA.
Please, don't generalise and assume what you see on the UFC is actually MMA!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
That's not in question. But I was hoping to hear views on his Martial Arts philosophy. Frank is one of the most outspoken fighters in MMA. I often wonder about how seriously he should be taken because sometimes he sounds genuine and sometimes he just seems to be talking smack.

OK, he's a great "promoter", however, I would say that he is a good martial artist. I mean he's got all of the tools needed, speed, strength, agility, intelligence, power, etc.... So, he should be taken seriously I suppose. If confronted, I wouldn't take him lightly.

jackmcmanus21

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't mind Frank Shamrock. He is just coming off of a fight that he lost because of a broken arm due to repeated blocks of roundhouse kicks. He really lost that fight because of his ego. He chose to stand with a ferocious striker rather than play to his strengths. I don't respect ego.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Frank Shamrock. Whether or not you think of him as an "artist" that might come under fire, considering the few posts I've seen on this board.

An artist learns the tools of the trade, the techniques involved, and uses those to perfect those techniques and/or separate from the status quo to push the limits from tradition, thus leaving a mark.

So in my opinion, I see Shamrock's art in his ability to recognize his opponent's strengths/weaknesses and train to not only counter, but in some cases to meet his opponent's strength as a test to himself.

Honestly, I think that might both be his downfall and saving grace. There's honor in keeping your word, especially in his last fight with Cung Le. I gained a lot of respect for him for maintaining a generally standing fight. On the other hand, I believe he should have played to his ground game on a striker in order to win(plus I would also like to see Le's collegiate wrestling skills in the ring).

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Frank Shamrock : Athletic, old school, always like to watch him fight.

Ken Shamrock : Not too sure what was going on with that guy.. used to like to watch him fight too.

I am really glad MMA is available all over cable now - and I'm glad the WCL is doing well too - I really like their ring design.

But I kind of miss the days of waiting for mma pay per view, or to rent them at blockbuster (the route I always took) and get ready for it.. my girl and I used to do that, it was great. We'd get a new beer at the grocery store and pause it just before the fight to lay a wager on who would win.

Good times!

I'm off subject. sorry.

Good to see ya, Nole.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, Frank Shamrock has all the attributes of a good martial artist.....discipline, physical conditioning and thorough knowledge of technique.

In addition he's also a good fighter.

That's my opinion of Frank.

Now, a pet peeve of mine.....why is it that every time the subject of MMA comes up, some folks want to claim it's not a 'martial art'? Or, even more annoying, that it somehow lacks something from 'traditional martial arts'.....the insinuation being that traditional 'asian martial arts' have a corner on what constitutes martial arts......specifically Chinese, Korean and Japanese systems. There seems to be a mindset that if it didn't come from China, Korea or Japan, and doesn't include a formal, rigid, structured system of study and discipline, it's not a 'respectable' martial art.

Not that systems from China, Korea or Japan or bad....I would just prefer that when referring to them, folks wouldn't just call them 'martial arts' as if they are all that is martial arts......just call them 'Traditional Asian Martial Arts'......because that's what they're REALLY talking about.

FMAs are a collection of martial arts largely devoid of much of what is considered TAM, Muay Thai is devoid of much of the TAMA trappings......Boxing, Wrestling, Pankration, Fencing, among others certainly are...and modern MMA is just a new version of the nearly 3,000 year old Pankration...(which I think certainly qualifies it as a 'rediscovered' traditional martial art)....there is a world far larger than just TAMA's......which is not a disrespect of TAMA at all!

Kingindian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
he is good
i just want to upload his videos against Zinoviev
he finish it greatly (smackdown? lol)

OP
MysticNinjaJay

MysticNinjaJay

White Belt
Reaction score
Now, a pet peeve of mine.....why is it that every time the subject of MMA comes up, some folks want to claim it's not a 'martial art'?

I generally think of Martial Arts as a combat discipline that you learn. Mixed Martial Arts is a combat sport where you utilize various disciplines.

People generally think of East Asian Martial Arts when they think of the term "Martial Arts", hence the term "Traditional" Martial Arts.

It's true that Boxing, Wrestling and Pankration have their own history and tradition. Many people refer to them as Western Martial Arts to make note of the cultural difference.

So long as people know what I mean I'm not too worried about words and acronyms used.

Latest Discussions