what do you like better kicks or punches?

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am just wondering what everyone like better since no one is the same as the other just twins are. So what do YOU like better kicks or punches and y? :asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
punches of course. Let me say that I'm 6'3 so heighth is not the issue. Since your legs help you stabilize your base, get off the line of attack, and stay neutral to your opponent, why do you wanna screw all that up with a lot of kicking?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm definitely a kicker, but I like backfists, knife hand strikes and ridge hand strikes. My punches are weak, but I make up for it with these strikes and kicks :D

A

A.R.K.

Actually a combination of elbow strikes and knee spike because I'm usually fighting in the space of a phone booth. If I had to chose just one, the elbow strike.

:asian:

M

MartialArtist

I personally find kicking better, although I use punching a lot more.

I like kicking because my can kick quickly and the person usually doesn't know how to deal with it. That only works a few times though before they catch on. I personally think that kicking is much more fun than punching, that's the main reason why.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally prefer kicking- it keeps me more out of range and it seems to be easier for me to kick and then move in than to just move in. I am not very fast on my feet, so a good kick helps to create that opening that I need to move in on. :karate:

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shodan: welcome to the boards.

In response to the topic, I personally prefer to get up close and use some form of grappling, but between kicks and punches I would say punches are better, as you can keep both feet on the floor or be moving around while you actually strike, whereas when you kick you are restricted in movement. Admittedly I have seen people who could kick fast enough to make up for that, but they'd spent a lot more time practising kicks than I have, and I would still prefer to practise my grappling to my kicking.

Perhaps when I have achieved what I consider a respectible level in my current style of jujutsu I will branch out and learn some karate to improve my strikes. Can't hurt...

A

andurilking2

i like kicks better (more damage, "usualy") better range, harder to dodge.
It is different for everyone and some people would disagree with what i just posted but that is my own personal opinion

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the guys who kick. Either knee block or elbow block their kick and drop them on the ground so I can pound them. Or grab their kicking leg and take them for a white knuckle ride (throw).
Bob:rofl:

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu
I like the guys who kick. Either knee block or elbow block their kick and drop them on the ground so I can pound them. Or grab their kicking leg and take them for a white knuckle ride (throw).
Bob:rofl:
Well, that's easier said than done. I've seen a couple of muay thai bouts and it's not so easy to just knee block then do this and that. And my opinion is it's not wise to grab a leg unless it's within easy reach. If you drop down to attempt to grab a low level kick, that's just plain stupid. That's when you try to knee block but again, easier said than done.

The thing with kicks is that you have to connect. Speed, power, timing, distance judging, good footwork, and sometimes deception is what makes a kick work. If you miss, even with a low roundhouse, then you're more vulnerable than a missed jab.

A

andurilking2

Well, that's easier said than done. I've seen a couple of muay thai bouts and it's not so easy to just knee block then do this and that. And my opinion is it's not wise to grab a leg unless it's within easy reach. If you drop down to attempt to grab a low level kick, that's just plain stupid. That's when you try to knee block but again, easier said than done.

The thing with kicks is that you have to connect. Speed, power, timing, distance judging, good footwork, and sometimes deception is what makes a kick work. If you miss, even with a low roundhouse, then you're more vulnerable than a missed jab.
good point grabbing someone's kick and pulling them or pushing them is incredibaly stupid, it is bringing them in closer to you while you have your gaurd down (because you are using your hands to hold on to their leg)and honestly tell me how smart that sounds, it is much better to try to block or dodge a kick

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by andurilking2
good point grabbing someone's kick and pulling them or pushing them is incredibaly stupid, it is bringing them in closer to you while you have your gaurd down (because you are using your hands to hold on to their leg)and honestly tell me how smart that sounds, it is much better to try to block or dodge a kick

Evidently you haven't seen one of the easiest takedowns from a kick.... As the roundhouse or front kick comes in, you step inside the kick and hook it up with one arm. With the other you strike to the face and push the opponent's head away. After that you step your trailing leg around in a large circle, dragging your opponent's standing leg over your own. because of your push, you have a powerful throw down to the floor, which also nicely leaves their groin exposed for a strike and their leg open for a knee dislocation.

You have to keep an open mind when you think about techniques. Just because you haven't been taught a good move for grabbing a kicking leg doesn't mean they aren't out there. They may not suit your skills, but someone who does a softer art may be exceptionally good at that sort of thing.

M

MartialArtist

I agree it's stupid

If I were in that position, there are a couple of takedowns, throws, and leg breakers that I personally like to use.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I dunno, I've been in a few fights where someone tried to kick me and the natural thing to do was to catch the leg and turn it into an easy single leg takedown. The advantage was all mine. I was out of reach for their fists, they were off balance and it only took a split second for me to put them on the ground. These were actual fights, I didn't know much about the people I was fighting, I have no idea if they had any training, had been drinking etc. I hadn't had any real training at the time except wrestling and an old man who made sure his kid could handle himself.

But the thread is not about whether or not one should catch a kick.

My personal preference is for punching. It's faster for me, more accurate, can transition to an elbow or grappling, and allows me to stay more balanced. The art that I study primarily emphasizes hand strikes over kicks. I really have never felt comfortable kicking above the waist. (Though I know many people are adept and maybe effective with high kicks.)I will throw a few kicks, but usually just to keep 'em honest.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
I agree it's stupid

If I were in that position, there are a couple of takedowns, throws, and leg breakers that I personally like to use.

I thought you said it was Stupid and or idiot technique to grab them and or move in close. But then you talk about a couple of takedowns, throws and leg breakers. How can you do this if you don't want to get close to them?
Bob:asian:

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
So what do YOU like better kicks or punches and y?

uh.. i prefer to not be kicked OR punched.... i know better than to answer that question in class... if i say kicks, i get kicked.. i say punch, i get punched... "thank you sir, may i have another."