What basic fighting skills to teach

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good character, wisdom, grace, de-escalation, restraint, avoidance.

Love your neighbor as your yourself.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Defense first, then offense if needed. A well trained individual often has the ball in their court. It becomes their decision what to do with their talents.
Lol. All of this gets you shot in COD warzone Lol

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just as I would feel qualified to teach someone how to ride a bike despite never having been a competitive cyclist, I feel qualified to teach people the basics of how to fight. In fact, I am probably a bit better suited to that than many martial arts instructors given that that is not their focus and many of them have never been in a fight, worked security or whatever and if they have they don't necessarily even use the techniques they teach.
Now I know why you only dabbled in martial arts instead of actually training them.

If you are coming onto this site to ask what basic techniques are, you don't know enough about martial arts to really be teaching it. I was trying to gently point that out in my previous post. Now I'm being more blunt about it.

OP
C

Cornfed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Now I know why you only dabbled in martial arts instead of actually training them.

If you are coming onto this site to ask what basic techniques are, you don't know enough about martial arts to really be teaching it. I was trying to gently point that out in my previous post. Now I'm being more blunt about it.
I don't recall asking what basic techniques are. I was asking for suggestions as to what to teach in the circumstances. I'm confident that what I am teaching has the potential to be vastly more useful in regular life than what the average martial arts instructor teaches - not that that is a particularly high bar.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't recall asking what basic techniques are. I was asking for suggestions as to what to teach in the circumstances. I'm confident that what I am teaching has the potential to be vastly more useful in regular life than what the average martial arts instructor teaches - not that that is a particularly high bar.
The circumstances are just generic "I want to teach martial arts". You're asking "what would be good to teach them". You have absolutely no direction.

You're coming off as the guy who takes a few months of an art, has an argument with the instructor and quits, and then does it a few more times, before deciding that you know better than they do, so you're going to it yourself.

Let me put it this way. If you're asking in the Beginner's Corner (a place for beginners) how to teach, you're not qualified to teach. Thinking you know more than people just because you washed out of their school doesn't make you qualified to teach.

You need to disillusion yourself of this notion if you really want to help these people. You want to teach them a culture that you don't even respect? How is that supposed to work?

This isn't about teaching anyone. This is about proving to yourself that you do actually know more than the people you despise.

OP
C

Cornfed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The circumstances are just generic "I want to teach martial arts". You're asking "what would be good to teach them". You have absolutely no direction.

You're coming off as the guy who takes a few months of an art, has an argument with the instructor and quits, and then does it a few more times, before deciding that you know better than they do, so you're going to it yourself.

Let me put it this way. If you're asking in the Beginner's Corner (a place for beginners) how to teach, you're not qualified to teach. Thinking you know more than people just because you washed out of their school doesn't make you qualified to teach.

You need to disillusion yourself of this notion if you really want to help these people. You want to teach them a culture that you don't even respect? How is that supposed to work?

This isn't about teaching anyone. This is about proving to yourself that you do actually know more than the people you despise.
You seem to have created some kind of elaborate fantasy about me based on nothing that has actually been said. Are you sure you are qualified to post on Internet forums? If you have formed the opinion I shouldn't be teaching for some reason then fine, noted. You may run along now.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cornfed, keep up the good work. You are mentoring men, that is an extremely rare but important thing to do. Good job.

On behalf of the larger martial arts community, I apologize for some of the arrogance, antagonism, and belittling that you will face on this sight. Insecurities run very high in the martial arts community.

Brace for impact as more verbal attacks come your way. It's unfortunate. But don't let it discourage you from your mission. Keep investigating in those boys!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brace for impact as more verbal attacks come your way. It's unfortunate. But don't let it discourage you from your mission. Keep investigating in those boys!
Why should he be investigating them, they did nothing wrong!
(Yes I know you meant investing. But got a chuckle from the typo)

OP
C

Cornfed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cornfed, keep up the good work. You are mentoring men, that is an extremely rare but important thing to do. Good job.

On behalf of the larger martial arts community, I apologize for some of the arrogance, antagonism, and belittling that you will face on this sight. Insecurities run very high in the martial arts community.

Yeah, I don't see the objection people would have. The worst thing that could happen is some of my students want to go on in boxing or judo or whatever and they later find that some of what I've taught is suboptimal or obsolete, so they have to spend a few lessons unlearning it. That is not the end of the world.

I suppose the other possibility is that what I am teaching is silly and wouldn't work in reality. For one thing, this is not the case, but even if it were, this would put me in the same category as a lot of martial arts instructors.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see the objection people would have. The worst thing that could happen is some of my students want to go on in boxing or judo or whatever and they later find that some of what I've taught is suboptimal or obsolete, so they have to spend a few lessons unlearning it. That is not the end of the world.

I suppose the other possibility is that what I am teaching is silly and wouldn't work in reality. For one thing, this is not the case, but even if it were, this would put me in the same category as a lot of martial arts instructors.
I had loving but broke parents. My Dad was an insanely tough construction worker, but largely a guy against any type of fighting. There wasn't a martial arts gym within 30 miles of my home and not a quality one within 50 miles. And it wouldn't have matter because my parents didn't have the money, and if they did they wouldn't have paid for me to do classes.

One guy, a TKD 3rd degree black belt took me under his wing and began teaching me some things at 14 years old. It set me on a trajectory that has shaped my whole life. Leading to ultimately not only saving my life on more than one occasions, but the martial arts has indirectly influenced what side of the planet I live on today.

This came from one guy planting a seed in a boy who just wanted to learn something.

Keep doing the good work you are doing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To teach students how to fight, you don't need to teach them a lot of techniques, but just few techniques that they can do well.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's the most important skill in fighting? IMO, not to be punched on the head. So what skill do your students need to learn? They need to learn 2 different principles:

1. Protect center from inside out.
2. Protect center from outside in.

Also, instead of to allow your opponent to punch at your head, it's better to punch at your opponent's head instead. As long as you can put your opponent in defense mode, that will be toward your advantage.

The best self-defense is to let your opponent to defend himself.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The worst thing that could happen is some of my students want to go on in boxing or judo or whatever and they later find that some of what I've taught is suboptimal or obsolete, so they have to spend a few lessons unlearning it.
If your attitude is that martial arts are bad, why would they go to a boxing gym or judo school, since those are taught by martial arts instructors that you think are bad?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You seem to have created some kind of elaborate fantasy about me based on nothing that has actually been said. Are you sure you are qualified to post on Internet forums? If you have formed the opinion I shouldn't be teaching for some reason then fine, noted. You may run along now.
False equivalency, even if true.

I've trained martial arts for 16 years. I've taught for 8 of those, under the mentorship of someone who has taught longer than I've trained. I know the level of skill of someone who has only dabbled in my art instead of training long-term.

Your arrogance is plain to see in this thread. You think you know better than most martial arts instructors. You literally said so.

I'm done with this thread. But you should be done teaching until you can actually learn something first.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How many elements are there of fighting? How many ranges? Well you got punching range,kicking range,trapping range,grappling range, ground fighting and weapons. So if I was to teach a group of ex pacifist my method of teaching them vs average Joe's would be a little different. My method would be put gloves on them and let them spar and hit each other and see what fighting all about, true they aren't technical yet but this will develop their fighting spirit. Then I'd let them wrestle each other so many hours a week, but my main method would be to let them hit each other and also practice wrestling and taking down each other. They need that element to get used to violence and build their confidence and grit. Once they aren't afraid to hit someone or afraid of getting hit then we can move on to techniques. As far as techniques I'd first teach them how to punch, then how to kick. Then how to take someone down, then how to fight on the ground, and if I think they need it in their area I'd teach them weapons but only if they are in a rough area, teenagers don't need weapons for street fights against other kids it would just cause more legal issues unless it's truly needed. But it sounds like these guys need to get out of that pacifist mindset and get some killer instinct, just put gloves on them and mouth guards and let them brawl with each other, don't worry about technique right now just let them get to experience fighting and watch to break it up If it gets out of control so you can stop it. That's how I learned in the beginning and it worked for me pretty good.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think if a guy was going to teach some young men some things about fighting, coming here to a Martial Arts site to ask for some suggestions on what to teach - that makes perfect sense to me. Where else should he go, to a used car site?

@Cornfed. Go getum, brother. Help those boys, I'm sure they'll be thankful. We'll suggest all we can.

I'll tell you something else...when I was young there were a few people who taught young men how to fight. They did a pretty good job of it and not one of them was a Martial Artist.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Teach them to wrestle.
And force then only use one technique.

One of my SC brother forced his son to use hip throw for 2 years. 2 years later, his son won the 1st place in Taiwan SC tournament.

One guy only trained to punch on a coconut tied between 2 trees for 1 year. A year later he won the 1st place in Taiwan Sanda tournament because nobody could get away from his head hunting.

I was forced to train single leg for 6 months. 6 months later, I took 7 guys down by my single leg in Chicage SC tournament.

It's really not how much you know but how well that you can do in 1 technique.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And force then only use one technique.

One of my SC brother forced his son to use hip throw for 2 years. 2 years later, his son won the 1st place in Taiwan SC tournament.

One guy only trained to punch on a coconut tied between 2 trees for 1 year. A year later he won the 1st place in Taiwan Sanda tournament because nobody could get away from his head hunting.

I was forced to train single leg for 6 months. 6 months later, I took 7 guys down by my single leg in Chicage SC tournament.

It's really not how much you know but how well that you can do in 1 technique.
The hip throw is a very solid technique. I trained judo with my younger brother back in the days, I made him drill it at the end of every practice. One day years later he used it to defend himself, threw the guy on the ground and knocked the wind out of the guy. He drilled it so much he didn't even have to think about it just his reaction was to do it. How do you spell the SC style of Chinese wrestling? I want to look it up, how similar is it to judo?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The hip throw is a very solid technique.... How do you spell the SC style of Chinese wrestling? I want to look it up, how similar is it to judo?
摔跤 Shuai Chiao, or Shuai Jiao.

In SC, the hip throw is the mother of all throws.

Chang-underhook-hip-throw.gif

Lin-hip-throw-solo.gif