what art would compliment sambo?

BJJwannabe91

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After a long time I finally decided to start learning sambo at team quest in Portland, Oregon. I was wondering what would compliment sambo more for street situations sub wrestling or Muay Thai or boxing? Anything helps

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Either Boxing or MT. Sambo has plenty of throws, wrastle'n, locks, etc.

The boxing in MT is a bit different from modern boxing.

MT will teach MT style kicks too, which are notably absent from Boxing.

Either one will work just fine for what you want. Go take a few classes of each and stick with the one which appeals to you more for whatever reason; fun, cost, availability, number of classes, whatevs.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
B

BJJwannabe91

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Either Boxing or MT. Sambo has plenty of throws, wrastle'n, locks, etc.

The boxing in MT is a bit different from modern boxing.

MT will teach MT style kicks too, which are notably absent from Boxing.

Either one will work just fine for what you want. Go take a few classes of each and stick with the one which appeals to you more for whatever reason; fun, cost, availability, number of classes, whatevs.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Okay, thank you very much Kirk!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Concentrate on what you are currently training in. There are few people who can learn two styles effectively as a beginner. So much to learn, don't divide your effort.

OP
B

BJJwannabe91

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Concentrate on what you are currently training in. There are few people who can learn two styles effectively as a beginner. So much to learn, don't divide your effort.
Alright, I thought it would help me progress even better. I guess the way I thought of it as like when you Powerlift you focus on the big 3 but you do assecory work to help those lifts, thought it be much the same.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

OK. If you are missing sambo class to train boxing then probably yeah.

If you are missing boxing to go home and sit on the couch then no.

OP
B

BJJwannabe91

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK. If you are missing sambo class to train boxing then probably yeah.

If you are missing boxing to go home and sit on the couch then no.
That's what I was thinking cause I wanted to train 4-5 times a week and sambo is only two days a week so I figured any of those would help for street and competition situations. I think I'll do the kickboxing twice a week sub wrestling once a week and sambo twice a week

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking cause I wanted to train 4-5 times a week and sambo is only two days a week so I figured any of those would help for street and competition situations. I think I'll do the kickboxing twice a week sub wrestling once a week and sambo twice a week
Sambo and Boxing/MT are different enough that you'll probably be OK.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, you wanted opinions, that's mine. I used to think I should consider cross-training in another art, like maybe Judo or something for more of a ground approach than I get with Isshin-Ryu training. Going on ten years later, three times a week, I'm still learning so much that I really cannot handle trying to take on another system. I feel I can do two systems badly or one semi-badly. I'm sticking with one.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright, I thought it would help me progress even better. I guess the way I thought of it as like when you Powerlift you focus on the big 3 but you do assecory work to help those lifts, thought it be much the same.

Martial arts is not like lifting weights; the approach is one of mind, body, and spirit and it requires concentration and thoughtful practice to even begin to absorb the basics, let alone the deeper meanings. Say for example you decide to start to learn to speak a second language and then figure it might be a good idea to simultaneously learn to speak a third. Some might be able to pull that off. I surely could not, and I don't know many who could.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial arts is not like lifting weights; the approach is one of mind, body, and spirit and it requires concentration and thoughtful practice to even begin to absorb the basics, let alone the deeper meanings. Say for example you decide to start to learn to speak a second language and then figure it might be a good idea to simultaneously learn to speak a third. Some might be able to pull that off. I surely could not, and I don't know many who could.

As far as languages go. Heaps of people speak multiple lanuages.

If the weight lifting is power lifting then it technique driven. I would suggest it is as mind body spirit as martial arts.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as languages go. Heaps of people speak multiple lanuages.

But they generally don't learn them all at the same time, especially not as adults.

If the weight lifting is power lifting then it technique driven. I would suggest it is as mind body spirit as martial arts.

Um, no.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial arts is not like lifting weights; the approach is one of mind, body, and spirit and it requires concentration and thoughtful practice to even begin to absorb the basics, let alone the deeper meanings.
In your opinion.

My friends living/lived in Japan and the ex-pats I know tell me that it's common for Japanese martial artists to combine Judo and Karate. I that's hearsay, really, I suppose. What I can say is that it's my experience that training in two different systems which don't over-lap each other too much tends to be not as challenging as some are concerned it might be.

Boxing + Judo used to be pretty common here in the States and, prior to the Judo/JuJitsu rise of the early/mid-20th Century, it was pretty common for amateurs to practice both Boxing and Wrestling.

I know that your philosophy is to focus on one art and one art alone as a whole-life method of physical, mental, and spiritual growth and I'm not going to gainsay that choice. But it is a choice and, though it works for you and (doubtless) would work for anyone else desiring a similar path, it is a choice which is not always best suited to every one else' goals. In this case, I honestly don't believe that it best suits the OP's goals, nor do I believe that studying separate striking and grappling arts in the way he is considering is going to seriously hamper his ability to reach the goals he's laid out. One size don't fit all. ;)

We're still friends, though, right?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But they generally don't learn them all at the same time, especially not as adults.
I've known a lot of bi-linguals who came up from the git-go learning two separate languages. I recall one friend who's parents were first gen German ex-pats. She was born in the U.S. and grew up having to learn "American" English. But her father's rule was, inside the house, German.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your opinion.

Yes, precisely. When asked for an opinion, that's what I have to offer.

...In this case, I honestly don't believe that it best suits the OP's goals, nor do I believe that studying separate striking and grappling arts in the way he is considering is going to seriously hamper his ability to reach the goals he's laid out. One size don't fit all. ;)

Yeah, well, that's YOUR opinion. ;)

We're still friends, though, right?

Most definitely!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Um, no.

OK. Excellent opinion. Now let's present some actual sources.

Powerlifting is a complicated and difficult to learn and refine skill. You can, exactly like martial arts,have different paths to achieve the best results.

Powerlifting Technique and Leverages

You may need to learn to move using different principles. Very similar to trying to learn two different martial arts at the same time. Especially if you are trying to get the best results from different people.

Mental strength is increadably important in a game like this that has a small difference between success and failure. There are pathways to achieving mental toughness and it is absolutely an important skill to achieve.
Mental Preparation for Weightlifting | Podium Sports Journal

Spirit. Well who cares it is a made up thing.

Martial arts is no more complicated,mysterious or enlightened that a whole host of other skills or arts that people combine to excellence. I do not understand where martial arts even gets this concept other than ego stroking.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial arts is no more complicated,mysterious or enlightened that a whole host of other skills or arts that people combine to excellence. I do not understand where martial arts even gets this concept other than ego stroking.

I used to think that also.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Um, no.

During 1966/67, I learned Vietnamese at a Defense Language Institute, Biggs Field, TX, and Spanish (having previously had a couple of years in school learning vocabulary and conjugation) in Juarez, Mexico. It was a good opportunity to do both. But I should have spent more time on the Vietnamese since it is such a different kind of language, and I didn't learn it quite as well as the Spanish. So I tend to agree, one can learn more than on language at a time as an adult, but one language may not be learned to the same level.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spirit. Well who cares it is a made up thing.

Now there's an opinion, stated as fact. If you have never experienced it, either used on you or using it, I can understand you having that opinion, but fact? I certainly have a different opinion based on experience.

Again, an opinion, and you are entitled to it. But please don't try to paint me with that brush. If you are satisfied with the learning you have without gi, good for you. Be happy. But in my opinion, you are missing something.

Latest Discussions