What are the best of the Jute Keen Do/Bruce Lee books?

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've read comments to the effect that some books about Lee's Jeet Kune Do book are more useful than Lee's book itself, being better organized than Lee's sadly unfinished book. If there are suggestions as to which one to buy, I appreciate them.
Thank you.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I feel like his fighting method book with all the fighting methods collection in it is better at breaking down single techniques. The tao of jeet kune do was more about fighting strategy,philosophy and tactics in my opinion. I personally learn this stuff better through video or in person. If I was gonna learn through video I'd go through the Chinatown jkd site. I've watched a lot of jkd instructional videos and books and some of this stuff has to be seen or felt in person to fully get it. But Chinatown jkd does the best job with their online curriculum in my opinion.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want a good starting point, I would recommend getting John Little's books on Bruce Lee/JKD. The main three are 1) Expressing the Human Body-which is about how Bruce worked out and progressed 2) Tao of Gung fu-Bruce's earlier notes on chinese martial arts before he evolved into JKD and 3) JKD-Commentaries on the Martial Way-kind of a more in depth look at Bruce's "Tao of JKD".

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you want a good starting point, I would recommend getting John Little's books on Bruce Lee/JKD. The main three are 1) Expressing the Human Body-which is about how Bruce worked out and progressed 2) Tao of Gung fu-Bruce's earlier notes on chinese martial arts before he evolved into JKD and 3) JKD-Commentaries on the Martial Way-kind of a more in depth look at Bruce's "Tao of JKD".
@punisher73 , have you read tao of gung fu? I was considering buying it for a long time. Is it mostly wing chun or jun fan early years of the style?

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've read comments to the effect that some books about Lee's Jeet Kune Do book are more useful than Lee's book itself, being better organized than Lee's sadly unfinished book. If there are suggestions as to which one to buy, I appreciate them.
Thank you.
Sorry I didn't really answer your question earlier. The books by terri Tom always get good reviews, lamar Davis has written some stuff you might like, also there's a Chinatown jeet kune do book the first one is on basics of jkd. Also I believe Chinatown jkd has a book on Mook jong wooden dummy sets too I think I've seen before.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
@punisher73 , have you read tao of gung fu? I was considering buying it for a long time. Is it mostly wing chun or jun fan early years of the style?
I have, its been awhile since I have read it. But, if my memory serves me it is kind of a blending. Not pure WC and not the later Jun Fan either. It kind of talks about Kung Fu in general terms as a whole.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on the reader's knowledge and skill set, their comprehension of what is written, or at least what's presented in the particular format they're reading, their style, their B.S detector and maybe what they had for breakfast.

Only kidding. It has nothing to do with their style.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The best book for JKD are this one you can knock the opponent out with.
bourne-book-fight.gif

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
The following book could be useful:

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Perfect examples. The fight co-ordinator of the Jason Bourne movies ( Jeff Imada) and the director of the John Wick movies ( Chad Stalheski) are both direct students of Dan Inosanto.
The back of the book in the Bourne scene kinda looked a bit like the back of my copy of the tao. Not sure if it was but that would be cool.