What a coincidence

P

PeachMonkey

Apparently, threats from Al Qaeda since 9/11 have mysteriously coincided with dips in the approval rating of our Glorious Leader.

In yet another strange coincidence, the number and frequency of said alerts continues to increase as we approach the election.

Finally, while the ultimate result is negligable, each alert generates a slight uptick in the approval rating for abovementioned Glorious Leader.

See:

http://juliusblog.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_juliusblog_archive.html

Direct link to the graph at:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/227/958/640/approval_alert_graph2.jpg

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now THAT is interesting!

Impressive graph - many different polls represented.

Thanks PM!

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
PM,

That is nuts wih all due respect. Are these guys above using politics - hell no (remember the theory that FDR knew that the Japanese were coming?) For all of us that lost friends and watched people suffer from the these animals intent on killing us - this line of commentary is less than helpful. The POTUS does not make the call on rising the alert level alone (John Ashcrosft does...with inut from his gerbal :rolleyes: - that was humor since I was sounding a bit harsh) - there are lots of folks involved from other countries, and both sides of the aisle - elected and staff personnel - that track this data and make the recommendation. Based on the latest from CNN on the British arrests, it looks like it was the right call. If Kerry wins (50/50), I hope they do the same thing.

OP
P

PeachMonkey

TwistofFat,

I did not intend to suggest that *every* warning is specious, and that real intelligence is not involved.

However, many recent warnings have been shown to be based off of antiquated intelligence, and have coincided mysteriously with dips in Bush's approval ratings.

And, as you say, we *know* that politicians in general, and the Bush Administration in particular, are not above using lies, propaganda, and manipulation for their own purposes.

With all that in mind, I think that being skeptical of the behavior of the Homeland Security department in these actions is *very* helpful. We need to be vigilant for terror threats *and* for the threats presented by our own government.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
PM,

While I do tend to agree with you, I would also like to point out that we need to be constantly vigilant. Americans generally tend to think it's over when it's not in the news constantly. Not that one should dwell on the past or be disrespectful of those who've been lost (and I'm not limiting this to Iraq but also 9/11 and the other questionable conflicts we've been embroiled in), but history can, and does, repeat itself. The Arab sensibility is very much unlike ours. Many do not value life -- they are here as preparation for what Allah has waiting for them, and thus those few militants don't mind being suicide bombers. Those who are not included in the militant group are probably as bewildered as we are as to what this war is really about. KT

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
TwistofFat,

And, as you say, we *know* that politicians in general, and the Bush Administration in particular, are not above using lies, propaganda, and manipulation for their own purposes.

With all that in mind, I think that being skeptical of the behavior of the Homeland Security department in these actions is *very* helpful. We need to be vigilant for terror threats *and* for the threats presented by our own government.
PM - I agree 100%! No matter who runs the government, we must remain diligent for threats from both. I think that's twice we have agreed!:)

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
When was the last time we heard from our old 'friend' anyway?
Well, if you agree with Randi Rhodes (Air America Radio), we're due to hear from him, in handcuffs, right before the election. She calls him "The October Surprise."

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont know about the alerts in the states but here in the UK we only hear what Tony and his cronies think we should hear (sweet fa normally ).
Whilst it is important to warn people of specific threats I remeber the story of the boy who cried wolf.

Polititions will use anything that gives them a point in the polls and I believe in them like I do the tooth fairy ( P Mandelson ).

David

Latest Discussions