Sambo
Systema
R.O.S.S.
Kadochnikov System
Skobar
Ukranian Boxing
"Ruknopashni Boi"
Buza

and a host of others that are too many for me to bother trying to list. You can see a big list over on the RMAx.tv site though.

Arthur

jellyman

Green Belt
Reaction score
This style is also known as "51 Hands"

That's 52 hand blocks.

From what I hear, it's developed from the street, not jail. It's an empty hand style.

Forum brother Stickgrappler has probably the most authoritative articles on the subject available for free on the web.

his site :
http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/

the portion specific to 52 handblocks/jailhouse rock :

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/52/52.html

check it out, some of the moves remind me of systema, so it's not hard for me to believe it could be used in jail.

OP
A

A.R.K.

Paul,

D.O.C. might have different regulations than does County facilities. We could write a disciplinary report but that is not an actual charge. Another possibility is to 'red dot' the individual which means they are in handcuffs & shackles any time they are outside their one-man cell.

We can also prevent 'horse-play' if it gets out of hand. But as far as County/Municipalities it's a touch gray area. We don't want to violate their 'rights' :confused:

I know the video your refering to and it is 'Surviving Edged Weapons'. I think they were posting look outs not so much for what they were doing as with what they were using. Inmates are not permitted to take items out into a rec yard such as towels, toothbrushes etc. At least the ones I am familar with. And of course their perception that what they were doing was against a rule. It is wrong but actually stopping it is altogether a different story unfortunately.

arnisador,

From what I have been told, Agni is a Sanskript word from the Persian area. It's exact meaning I'm not sure but it seems to reflect some type of fighting philosophy.

:)

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the Hawaiian one is "Lima Lama"

Depends on how you classify where an art is from.

I'd classify Jun Fan/JKD as an American art. It was developed in America by an American citizen.

Mike

OP
H

Humble artist

Yes,there is a Finnish style kas-pin but it also includes plenty of unarmed military oriented fighting.
Add "kalaripayit" to India.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
mr long

you posted that native martial arts of australia and new zealand

Australia
Koonomon Yogip Baip
Pou Taiaha
New Zealand
Mau
Mau Rakau
Pahi a Mau Mau
Tueiatanga

where did you get this information??? do these styles still exist???

iam interested in researching this also

terry

OP
L

lost_tortoise

What is the criteria for "western"? Isn't India considered part of Asia? What of Australia? Are we talking geography or "ruling" countries? Even if it is based on which imperialist dog runs the place, I think India is independent of England now isn't it? Which brings us back to geography.

Side note: When I lived in Cairo (Egypt, not Kentucky), I had an opportunity to play at a little Sebekkah. It is a grappling art and I remember distinctly that the movements used so much waist power to execute that I was sore in the middle even after I returned to the states.

geoffrey

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Turkish wrestling may not qualify as Western but in any event:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/10/SP265658.DTL

Every summer, hundreds of Turkish men wearing only long leather shorts pour olive oil over each other's backs, arms and legs. Then they wrestle for 40 minutes, plus a 10-minute extra session if necessary, often in 100-degree heat.

It's sumo wrestling mixed with salad dressing.

To win, a wrestler must bring his competitor's shoulders to the ground or pick him up and take three steps. Sort of like sacking an NFL quarterback, except for the part about clothes.

"The sport is not without controversy," says James Helicke of the Associated Press. "Turkish pro-Islamic circles say the sport violates Islamic principles and that one move -- in which a wrestler puts his hand down the other's pants in an effort to flip him over -- is obscene."

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

Don't forget Shastar Vidyaa, The Sikh martial art from the punjab province (may be the same as gatka and kalaripayat but I don't know).

Also have you guys heard anything about the old swedish, norwegian, and icelandic style's. I had read something about the old sword and sheild styles being similar in application to aikijusu, but I can't find the site.

OP
B

Black Bear

I am not an expert in this by any means, but I believe it's called "52 blocks". You would think this refers to 52 blocking movements, but apparently it's named for a neighbourhood 52 blocks in area. Google "stickgrappler" and you will find an awesome MA/SD archive site (I think it's like go.to/stickgrappler or something like that). Ol' sticky is an awesome resource.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I noticed on the 1st page there was a list of MA's with the system of "San Jitsu" listed under Guam. This art was developed by Frank Sanchez (from Guam) of the WHOFSC. A Silat & Arnis instructor friend, who lives in Guam, attempted to research San Jitsu since it was claimed to be the "Martial Art of Guam" and found not a single trace, reference or archive containing any info. He also asked several higher ranking instructors native to Guam about San Jitsu and they all replied the same, "Never heard of it".

OP
G

Gilbey

angrywhitepajamas said:
Don't forget Shastar Vidyaa, The Sikh martial art from the punjab province (may be the same as gatka and kalaripayat but I don't know).

Also have you guys heard anything about the old swedish, norwegian, and icelandic style's. I had read something about the old sword and sheild styles being similar in application to aikijusu, but I can't find the site.
I'd have to say that a number of items on this list are not really "Western" in any geographical, or even cultural sense.

There is at least one modern art that claims to represent Viking fighting styles; it's called Stav, and I'm afraid that it is not very highly respected in HEMA/WMA circles.

The real problem is that, apart from mentions of fighting in the Icelandic sagas of the 1200s and 1300s, there are no clear records of exactly how the Vikings fought - no detailed instructional manuals, etc. People can make pretty good guesses based on later historical material and by training with close reconstructions of the weapons and armor, but no-one knows for sure.

On the other hand, the Icelandic wrestling style of Glima can be traced back to Viking unarmed combat, and it is still popular in Iceland today.

Gilbey

Christopher Umbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gilbey said:
I'd have to say that a number of items on this list are not really "Western" in any geographical, or even cultural sense.

There is at least one modern art that claims to represent Viking fighting styles; it's called Stav, and I'm afraid that it is not very highly respected in HEMA/WMA circles.

The real problem is that, apart from mentions of fighting in the Icelandic sagas of the 1200s and 1300s, there are no clear records of exactly how the Vikings fought - no detailed instructional manuals, etc. People can make pretty good guesses based on later historical material and by training with close reconstructions of the weapons and armor, but no-one knows for sure.

Gilbey
Right... Stav is pretty sad. Like some bizzare cross of I-Ching and Viking runes. For a good laugh though, there's always Hank Reinhardt's Viking video.

Chris

Latest Discussions