Western Styles List

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date
OP
G

Gilbey

Christopher Umbs said:
Right... Stav is pretty sad. Like some bizzare cross of I-Ching and Viking runes. For a good laugh though, there's always Hank Reinhardt's Viking video.

Chris
Even sadder was an offshoot called "Stavla" or something ... I remember they were trying to hire themselves out as a crack security team. The mind boggles.

Haven't seen Reinhardt's video - what's the problem with it?

Gilbey

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've always thought of boxing, the Sweet Science of pugilism, a true Western martial art. That said, I never understood why some practitioners of the Asian MAs don't consider boxing a martial art. :idunno:

Christopher Umbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gilbey said:
Even sadder was an offshoot called "Stavla" or something ... I remember they were trying to hire themselves out as a crack security team. The mind boggles.

Haven't seen Reinhardt's video - what's the problem with it?

Gilbey
Well, first there’s the entire concept of having a video on Viking style…

It’s quite hilarious with the typical stage combat sword and shield clash/bang style with a few kicks here and there, but the best part is when the ‘Viking warrior’ knocks his opponent to the ground , stabs him in the stomach and stirs the blade around for a moment before spitting on him.

Chris

Christopher Umbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
I've always thought of boxing, the Sweet Science of pugilism, a true Western martial art. That said, I never understood why some practitioners of the Asian MAs don't consider boxing a martial art. :idunno:
Because it doesn't really have a spiritual component and it's often done in a sport context. Don't forget though, 'martial arts' is a western term (I think the first appearance of the phrase is in Chaucer - The Knights Tale) and simply means the arts of war.

Chris

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Christopher Umbs said:
Because it doesn't really have a spiritual component and it's often done in a sport context. Don't forget though, 'martial arts' is a western term (I think the first appearance of the phrase is in Chaucer - The Knights Tale) and simply means the arts of war.

Chris

True, and the art I practice, WTF sanctioned Taekwondo, is sport (Olympic) oriented. And, IMHO, it has become too commercial I might add. But I digress... :idunno:

Irrespective of the spiritual component, do not martial arts primarily involve physical combat? Is it's mostly about, ya-know, Mano-A-Mano, face to face scrapping? This is what boxing is to me. That's why I think it should be considered a MA.

However, even that's not a good qualifier, becacause the MAs also encompasses whomever has the biggest sword, katana, stick, nunchuck, staff, stick, bow or throwing star etc., etc.

Irrespect of not having the Asian component, I would think that boxing should be considered a martial art. Remember, almost everyone's favorite MA practitioner Bruce incorporated boxing into his JKD.

:asian:

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
True, and the art I practice, WTF sanctioned Taekwondo, is sport (Olympic) oriented. And, IMHO, it has become too commercial I might add. But I digress... :idunno:

Irrespective of the spiritual component, do not martial arts primarily involve physical combat? Is it's mostly about, ya-know, Mano-A-Mano, face to face scrapping? This is what boxing is to me. That's why I think it should be considered a MA.

However, even that's not a good qualifier, becacause the MAs also encompasses whomever has the biggest sword, katana, stick, nunchuck, staff, stick, bow or throwing star etc., etc.

Irrespect of not having the Asian component, I would think that boxing should be considered a martial art. Remember, almost everyone's favorite MA practitioner Bruce incorporated boxing into his JKD.

:asian:

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I never renounce a boxer as a combatant, as they have some of the fastest hands i've seen, and most know how to take a pounding if they have to. However, Boxers, along with most other systems today, break things down into angles of attack, angles of escape, lines of evasion, etc. It's all numbers. That's why we call them systems now. They are no longer arts. People at large (not speaking for everyone) don't train for the sake of training and continuing the art, but for physical fitness or self-defense. It's become the science of war, not the art of war. Martial Science (yes, go ahead with the obligatory "Bloodsport" references) seems like the appropriate term for things like boxing.

EDIT: Let god, allah, buddah, or whatever being you believe in rain down fire and lightning upon the creator of UBBcode... :rockets:

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for noting Cornish wrestling, though us Cornish don't quite consider ourselves English. Add Breton wrestling. That goes back at least 1500 years like Cornish Wrestling. They are distinctive because they are verifiable ancient British styles that use the jacket.

Also Norfolk Backhold wrestling is a distinctive style because of it's rules, i.e. hold the back at all times.

Boxing does have a philosophy. It is not overt but it is there in the background. The Greeks certainly had a whole spiritual component to their pugilistic arts.

OP
D

DCM 27

After being out of the MA's for awhile I'm currently looking at a few local Boxing gyms. I know very little about Boxing but the conditioning involved looks very intensive. Add in sparring and being hit, Boxing appears to me as a truly realistic system of stand-up self defense.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't know:
What kinds of defensive moves are taught in Boxing?

My guess would be evading with good footwork, bobbing and weaving, etc.
I'm just wondering if there is any punch blocking.

Thanks in advance, D.

Nemesis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This thread is way too old so i'm pretty sure nobody is going to read this, but how about Jogo do Pau from Portugal. I've tried out a lot of styles and this is still one of my favorites.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nemesis said:
This thread is way too old so i'm pretty sure nobody is going to read this, but how about Jogo do Pau from Portugal. I've tried out a lot of styles and this is still one of my favorites.

I have just started training in JDP here in portugal.......mainly short stick

theres also the spanish stick arts and the andalucian knife stuff, also the irish kudgual (shileli - sp)

Nemesis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The short stick is OK, but if you really want to have fun you should try the long stick. That way you can really feel the power and speed of the vara.

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are doing with this list? Is this a list of styles that have migrated to this continent? Does this fall into the category of American Martial Arts? From the definition that I've been accostomed too (not necessarly THE one) The WMA has referred to those styles that came from the European continent and are still present in some form there and in this country. Now some of these Asian and Eastern styles, by rights are just as migratory as the European but I think we should classify them by their country of orgin makes for a cleaner organization to define who is doing exactly what. The cultural heritage is so very important when we study any martial activity. Otherwise really interesting list and great effort, I'll be interested to see how this develops and the reaction you get.

My Best
Dwight

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nemesis said:
The short stick is OK, but if you really want to have fun you should try the long stick. That way you can really feel the power and speed of the vara.

I did one session of long stick ....with a different guy, yep i know what you mean

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you lookat any M/A it udjusted to meet the needs of the peop;le and country where it migrated to Now here in the west. We will call it THE U S A then is not it time that those arts that have been brought here and trained here be consider a western way of doing those arts. As a rule the USA embraces all countries all races the most blended culture in the world So the M/A arts here did and have had to adapt to the people here. And every art is just a source. The person is there own way of doing.

Latest Discussions