Welcome world to tkd

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot of discipline for a group that large to be so precise. Thanks for posting that.

One thing I noticed was that one of the groups was pretty young. With the grainy footage it's hard to tell if they were 16, 17 young or 13, 14. But being pretty new to TKD I had to wonder if the "how young is to young" conversations I've been seeing on here was being talked about 20 years ago as well.

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Korea, everyone learns TKD in school, like we here in the U.S. play baseball, basketball, and football. Its a different culture there than over here. They are exposed at an early age, usually elementary level and do it everyday.

We do it for recreation, they do it for culture.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Korea, everyone learns TKD in school, like we here in the U.S. play baseball, basketball, and football. Its a different culture there than over here. They are exposed at an early age, usually elementary level and do it everyday.

We do it for recreation, they do it for culture.

Unfortunately the universality of TKD there has rather bad effects too. I work with a number of Koreans who came to US for their graduate degrees and stayed. They regard TKD as an activity for children, something they quit doing around the age of 14 or so. Believe it or not, they said continuing in the 'sport' was something only 'violent' or 'dumb' kids do, as their rigorous school studies leave them little time for anything else.

:(

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unfortunately the universality of TKD there has rather bad effects too. I work with a number of Koreans who came to US for their graduate degrees and stayed. They regard TKD as an activity for children, something they quit doing around the age of 14 or so. Believe it or not, they said continuing in the 'sport' was something only 'violent' or 'dumb' kids do, as their rigorous school studies leave them little time for anything else.

I have spoken with allot of Koreans that are no longer involved in TKD and the prevailing attitude is what you described. They all did TKD as children and quit as teenagers. This was surprising to me. The Idea that kids who do TKD were thugs or stupid, I have heard that more than once. Most Masters won't tell you this because they are currently involved in TKD. Those who are not involved will tell you this with out hesitation. Very sad frankly.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
From a cultural standpoint it makes sense really. Prior to the japanese occupation, martial arts were generally considered to be thuggish. Korean culture looked at intellectual pursuits as superior. That's why so much of indigenous Korean martial arts had all but disappeared and why so much was then borrowed or re-integerated form other coutntries later.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really not to different from here in the U.S. if you think about it. Boxing here is quite the same from the stand point of the poor or not to bright do it as they don't have the means to pursue education.

Just as we look at the football and basketball players in school as dumb jocks.

Just like in Korea the best of the best go on to use the sport as a way to make money as education is not something that many of them can afford or do.

Yes many of our jocks are pretty smart and do well in school but that is the exception not the norm.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to say that I have seen alot of adults doing it over in Korea, for some it is a way of life. I have also heard the that alot of them stop by the time they are 17 or so, which is why they train in so many different arts over thier.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much sounds like what I see here in my corner of the USA. :)

Latest Discussions