We Interupt The Usual Sturm Und Drang: EINSTEIN WRONG!?!?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some disagreement on the find...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/20/us-science-neutrinos-idUSTRE7AJ0ZX20111120?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews&rpc=22&sp=true

(Reuters) - An international team of scientists in Italystudying the same neutrino particles colleagues say appear to have travelled faster than light rejected the startling finding this weekend, saying their tests had shown it must be wrong.
I guess the next step in the scientific method research process is to name call the doubters, destroy data to keep it out of doubters hands, keep doubters out of peer reviewed journals and work to dry up their research grants. That is the process isn't it?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would you believe...loose cables?

http://gizmodo.com/5887398/a-loose-cable-caused-the-faster+than+light-particles-test
We know that Einstein always has the last laugh, but this is hilarious: the faster-than-light particles that could have wrecked his relativity theory are no more. It was a mistake in the test results caused by a loose cable.

Didn't anyone from the Genius Bar tell them about the first rule of tech support? Check your cables first! Oh, scientists!

Researchers at CERN have found out that a bad fiber-optics link between a GPS unit and a computer was causing the 60 nanosecond timing discrepancy that was driving everyone mad. Once they realized this, the cable was tightened and the difference was gone. Yes, the faster-than-light neutrinos are not real (at least, we haven't detected them if they exist) and the Universe can breath once again and keep destroying galactic wonders.

Apparently, the 60 nanosecond difference comes from the time it took to the data to travel through the cable, which fully accounts for the unexplainable 60 nanosecond neutrino speedup.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Damn how did I miss this :EG:

Einstein was wrong you say

Well listen here mission control, EINSTEIN WAS WRONG

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you think I am listening to Raven for any reason you've got another thing coming :p.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Waitaminit...my migraine-addled brain can't grok this at all. I can understand how a lose cable could cause a 60 ns loss. How exactly does a loose cable cause a 60 ns gain?

I'm not sure what the actual set up is, but basically, one reference cycle was probably measured as 10 ns, while the real time it took was 10.1 ns or something like that.

Latest Discussions