Wado ryu karate

allofthekatas

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently took up wado ryu karate and haven't been able to really find anyone else who studies it. Any practitioners on here? I've been studying for about 6 months.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently took up wado ryu karate and haven't been able to really find anyone else who studies it. Any practitioners on here? I've been studying for about 6 months.

I did it for about ten years before the club I was at closed down and I had to change styles.

OP
A

allofthekatas

White Belt
Reaction score
I could have sworn they're sending it ninjas to kill the practitioners off! xD

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I studied it very briefly in Lakewood, Colorado in the late 1980s. I did not continue or earn any belts, and I basically forgot about it until 4 years ago when I started studying Isshin-Ryu in Michigan. I recall it being a very good art; I wish I had continued training at the time, but I did not. My fault entirely.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could have sworn they're sending it ninjas to kill the practitioners off! xD

Really? It's a fairly common style in the UK and Europe I've found. Are you sure the Ninjas aren't from Wado and just hiding from you?

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really? It's a fairly common style in the UK and Europe I've found...

Agreed... For example, there are 4 associations that teach Wado-Ryu karate within 15 mins of where I live.

OP
A

allofthekatas

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess it's just where I live. Outside of my school I haven't found many others who practice it online and such.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess it's just where I live. Outside of my school I haven't found many others who practice it online and such.

I hope that you're enjoying it. Would have signed up, however at the time (and still now), class schedules that are offered aren't compatible with my work and Uni studies.

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi allofthekatas,

I have trained Wado for 26 years and taught it for the last 14.

It's a great martial art (naturally I'm bias) and one that you can take with you through life IMO.

Where do you train? When it boils down to it, the Wado family is quite small so I may know of your group.

Gary

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is Wado-Ryu Karate?

Wado-Ryu Karate is a Japanese martial art founded by Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei in 1934. Ohtsuka Sensei developed Wado-Ryu after studying the Samurai martial art of Jiu-jitsu, and Shotokan (another style of Karate). This combination, according to Ohstuka Sensei, is a softer, more natural means of self-protection.

The full name of the style is Wado-Ryu Karate-Do. The term Wado-Ryu means "way of peace" or "way of harmony", indicating Ohtsuka Sensei's original intention to use training in Wado-Ryu as a means of solving problems in a non-violent way. Karate-Do means "way of the empty hand", as Karate is, for the most part, studied without the use of weapons.

Sounds interesting, copied off line.

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
What is Wado-Ryu Karate?

Wado-Ryu Karate is a Japanese martial art founded by Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei in 1934. Ohtsuka Sensei developed Wado-Ryu after studying the Samurai martial art of Jiu-jitsu, and Shotokan (another style of Karate). This combination, according to Ohstuka Sensei, is a softer, more natural means of self-protection.

The full name of the style is Wado-Ryu Karate-Do. The term Wado-Ryu means "way of peace" or "way of harmony", indicating Ohtsuka Sensei's original intention to use training in Wado-Ryu as a means of solving problems in a non-violent way. Karate-Do means "way of the empty hand", as Karate is, for the most part, studied without the use of weapons.

Hmmm. There really is a load of rubish about Wado on the net.

Most of it is regurgitated.

The best source of info is here:

www.wadoworld.com

Sojobo

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is Wado-Ryu Karate?

Hmmm. There really is a load of rubish about Wado on the net.

Most of it is regurgitated.

The best source of info is here:

www.wadoworld.com

Sojobo

Thanks, always good to be set on tract.
And, with Tez3 interjecting a "thanks for this useful post", it gets my attention even more. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooooh, thank you kind sir! But then could you ever see me doing something 'gentle' and non violent rofl. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ooooh, thank you kind sir! But then could you ever see me doing something 'gentle' and non violent rofl. :)

My mom is 94 years young, and I comment on this only because mom's ARE always right, "cold hands warm heart, warm hands cold heart".

Now, I take this to mean, if someone is a bit harsh on the outside, beware, because they are protecting a vulnerable, but good heart.

But, if in fact, someone is overly gushy and ever so accommodating, there could be lurking something somewhere deep down in their cold heart
a vengeance waiting.

If the heart fits, wear it................. :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I studied a hybrid Wado system for 5 years. What kind of questions do you have about Wado Ryu? We do have a fair number of Wado practitioners here.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's weird - I can't see the Edit button - getting old - its "Shingo Ohgami" - sorry.

The edit goes away after a little time, not sure how long. Makes me wince when I realise a while afterwards my spelling mistakes are there for posterity!

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I studied a hybrid Wado system for 5 years. What kind of questions do you have about Wado Ryu? We do have a fair number of Wado practitioners here.

Not wishing to seek contention here - but I struggle with the concept of "Wado-based" / "Wado Hybrid"!

You either do Wado or you don't imo.

Once you change something, it ceases to be what it was in the first place.

Not saying that's a bad thing of course - but ime (in the UK anyway) many use the "wado based" label because the "omote" (or surface level) of Wado is easily copied (monkey see monkey do), but actually connecting the dots in order to make it work is very, very hard.

Takes some mental weightlifting - as my sensei would say.

Sojobo.

Latest Discussions