Virginia teen fights for right to pick Hodgkin's treatment

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The upshot of this article is a 16 year old kid is having a relapse of his cancer, but doesn't want chemo and his folks back him. So I am wondering, at what age are you old enough to make a decision like that. We (as a society) seem to say 16 year olds are not mature enough to decide major life things for their own, but at the same time, if we can charge a 12-year old child as an adult for a murder, why can't a 16 year old be old enough to make his own medical decision?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-07-11-herbal-remedy_x.htm

Abraham Cherrix, 16, went through chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease that left him so weak that his father carried the 6-foot-1 youth from the car to the house. Doctors tell him he needs a second round of chemo to get rid of the cancer that reappeared in February.
Abraham says no, and his parents are backing him up.
Now the Virginia family is in juvenile court, the parents are charged with medical neglect and the Accomack County social services agency has joint custody of Abraham. The agency asked the court to order the boy to undergo chemotherapy.
A court hearing continued Tuesday. Each side plans to appeal an adverse ruling, family lawyer Barry Taylor says.
Abraham and his family are treating his cancer with an herbal remedy four times a day and an organic diet under the guidance of a clinic in Mexico. The remedy, called the Hoxsey method, has not been clinically tested, and there is no scientific evidence that it is effective, the American Cancer Society says.
Although he is not old enough to cast a vote or buy an alcoholic drink, Abraham argues that he is old enough to make decisions about treatment to save his life.
"This is my body that I'm supposed to take care of. I should have the right to tell someone what I want to do with this body," he says. "I studied. I did research. I came to this conclusion that the chemotherapy was not the route I wanted to take."

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So he doesn't want it, and his parents don't want it... But someone is trying to force him to undergo it?

I'd give my opinion, but I don't think the language filter could handle it...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I need to think on this a bit. There's a lot of facets to this issue.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What if they said God told them not to get Chemo?

I strongly support his right to choose his treatment options.

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not entirely sure how I feel, but I do think the fact that he has gone through this before and relatively recently (not like when he was 3) should work in favor for his right to choose.

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
rutherford said:
What if they said God told them not to get Chemo?

That may not matter, if you read through the full article they cited a case where a 17 year old girl was forced to have a blood transfusion after a ski accident despite that it was against her religion and that of her family.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
So DNRs and living wills are already out the door (Terry Schiavo), and now the gov't can tell me what treatments I "need" when I'm still lucid? It just goes to show that in today's world, your parents don't even get the final say in your life. Sure, if they were abusive or in some other way deficient, I'd cast a questioning eye. These people sound fine, and the kid is trying to do what he thinks is right. If he dies, he knows he did the wrong thing, but that's his right.

Personally I'd like to see the Accomack County social services agency take the money they were going to put into this case and put it into Cancer research instead, since Chemo is NOT a cure, only a speed bump on the road to death. Not only that, you get to live the rest of your days in weakened pain, instead of some sort of enjoyable life (albeit a bit shorter). Let the boy have peace and do his thing. Who knows, he may get better from the researched treatment. I don't know. I DO know that the state has no place in this matter. Period.

I'm disgusted... *sigh*

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Something to think about? Should Doctor's make the choices for medical treatment for everyone? and you have NO say on this?

What about the medcial cost to the families? If doctors say you have to have the treatment.

Whay about our own decision to say NO...let us die? or should the doctors make this choice to keep you alive?

A sixteen year old....UM? ....I think he know's? and if he does gets treatment...what happen when he get's to 21 years old? ...will it be his choice for more treatment?

Everyone should have the right to choose...just my thoughts on this...Aloha

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
his body his right to choose, if his parents back him all the better. Now if it where an 8 or 12 year old that would be different they do not understand (sometimes) how choices affect long term out comes

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
It really would depend on the person. I'm 17 and I feel like I'm a lot more mature than many of my peers, but I have a 14 year old friend who blows me out of the water.

However, from the way he speaks, and the fact that his parents back him up, I think that is probably a decision he could make on his own.

Whether or not he IS old enough, though, the state doesnt belong in the mess.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have quite a few opinions as a social worker, but I want to think about this situation a little more before responding...

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
16 is old enough to know what what is good for you, and the parents support his decsision. I personally think the doctors and the court can go **** themselves. There is no way that they should be able to force this kid into a treatment that niether him, nor the parents want him to have.

Then there is alwasy what OUMoose brought up. Chemo is not a cure for cancer, only a treatment that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

How exactly do they plan on making this kid go to chemo if he doesn't want to? Are they going to get 3 or 4 attendants to drag him in kicking and screaming, strap him down and start shooting him up? Are they going to traqalize him and knock him unconsceous first so that he can't fight them?

The government even suggesting forcing him into these treatments is deplorable.

Whats next? Forcing everyone to undergo any treatment that a doctor deams neccessary? No thanks, take your dictatorship someplace else.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree - if the boy's family were of some religious persuasion that did not allow medical care, this would not be an issue - and he is certainly old enough, and experienced enough in what going through chemo does to him, that he should be able to make the determination for himself. Chemo or not, the prognosis for treating cancer the second time is not good.

This is, I think, part of a larger issue. This country spends an amazing amount of money prolonging life at both ends (infancy and age/deathly illness) and gives very little thought to the quality of the life being thus extended. For myself, I would rather live a quality life (relatively free of pain, illness, intrusive medical care, etc.) for a shorter time than live in constant pain, with constant nausea, in a hospital, or any other form of chronic discomfort. This is the choice that this young man is making, and I think society needs to respect that.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If both parental units are in agreement about not doing a certain treatment, then if the 16 year old was treated as a child, they have their rights. For what if it was a religous issue and they could nto have invasive surgery or techniques performed upon their body?

Yet, there would be some that would say this child abuse, or that the parents do not wish to cough up the money to pay for this, even if it means loosing their house and bankrupting themselves.

Hence, why I believe the 16 year old is persuing a legal issue that a 16 year can choose their own treatment, for they have an understanding of cause and effect and the consequences of their choice.

The issue with this, is that some will understand and might be going with the parents wishes or what they believe is the parents wishes.

The problem with arguing that the parents have convinced the child it is the best course to proceed with and that this is bad, then this means now people can challenge religious issues, for I personally think that the young are indoctrinated (* Read Brain washed *) into a religion, no matter what the religion may be. So if it is bad in one, then could it be bad in all? The answer would be most likely yes.

Yet, this all falls back "Others" or "Society" thinking they know what is best for the individual. So if they were not allowed to interfer and people had to take responsibility for their actions no matter what the age (* Of course punishment should be in accordance with age and understanding *) then this would not be an issue.

The problem is that these issue come up and no one (* Healthy Member of society *) wants to see a child die.

It is a small group of well meaning people trying to "Help" or "Save", and think they should be able to influence others or impose their norms upon others. What if I was to impose my norms upon these well meaning people? Would they not disagree and want to fight it? Would they not cry persecution? They and aswer to them all is Yes they would not want someone else to TELL THEM WHAT TO DO.

But that is exactly what people need to tell , they need to stay out of other's people business. (* Yes, True child abuse, such as beatings and no food, and living in feces, etcetera *) Even though I might not agree with a couple that raise their child a certain way, and this child does not get the "BEST" medical assistance because of their beliefs, I respect that this is their wishes for themselves and their family.

Yet, it seems that respect of others, has gone by the way side, and no really cares, they are just out to push a cause or make a point.

And ON that note, I wish the 16 year old the best and hope that what ever path is chosen he has the best life he can. :asian:

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently....they lost...I hope they keep fighting in as many courts as they can

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060721/ap_on_re_us/sick_teen;_ylt=A9FJqaf2bcFEne0AoQas0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

Judge orders teen to cancer treatment
NORFOLK, Va. - A judge ruled Friday that a 16-year-old boy fighting to use alternative treatment for his cancer must report to a hospital by Tuesday and accept treatment that doctors deem necessary, the family's attorney said.

The judge also found Starchild Abraham Cherrix's parents were neglectful for allowing him to pursue alternative treatment of a sugar-free, organic diet and herbal supplements supervised by a clinic in Mexico, lawyer John Stepanovich said.
Jay and Rose Cherrix of Chincoteague on Virginia's Eastern Shore must continue to share custody of their son with the Accomack County Department of Social Services, as the judge had previously ordered, Stepanovich said.
The parents were devastated by the new order and planned to appeal, the lawyer said.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That really sucks. Yes, medical care should be available - but it should also be possible, in the circumstances given, to reject care that didn't work the first time.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you don't want the treatment, just tell the hospital you don't have insurance...

I bet that would change their mind pretty quick!

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Judge orders teen to cancer treatment
NORFOLK, Va. - A judge ruled Friday that a 16-year-old boy fighting to use alternative treatment for his cancer must report to a hospital by Tuesday and accept treatment that doctors deem necessary, the family's attorney said.

Oh ya? Or what? What exactly is this dip**** judge going to do if he doesn't show up? Are they going to arrest him and drag him kicking and screaming into the hospital for his chemo? He is probably going to die without it, exactly what punishment do they think they will impose that is worse than death?

Thats why this case is so ridiculous, how do you force a 16 year old guy to go to the hospital for a treatment he doesn't want?

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like for now, things have changed a bit...

Story

Judge lifts order for cancer treatment
By SONJA BARISIC, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 15 minutes ago

ACCOMAC, Va. - A judge ruled Tuesday that a 16-year-old cancer patient who has refused conventional medical treatment does not have to report to a hospital as previously ordered and scheduled a trial to settle the dispute.

A social worker asked a juvenile court judge to require the teen to continue conventional treatment, and the judge on Friday ordered Abraham to report to a hospital Tuesday. But Accomack County Circuit Court Judge Glen A. Tyler suspended the judge's order.
"I feel free today. I was let off the leash," Abraham said after Tyler agreed to a stay and set a trial date of Aug. 16.
Tyler also ended joint custody of Abraham between his parents and social services officials.
Carl Bundick, an attorney for the department, told the judge the department would not object, provided a new trial takes place quickly.

"What the department is interested in is this young man being cured of cancer," Bundick said.
See now personally I would like the department to be interested in stopping cases like the two girls found starved by their stepmother as posted in another study thread.....

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
"What the department is interested in is this young man being cured of cancer," Bundick said.

Hope the department has some SERIOUS money to cough up then, or that department just got made to look like something not appropriate for a public forum.

I have to agree with Ginshun here. What good will the next trial do? Are they just postponing the inevitable? Chemo is not a pleasureable experience from what I've witnessed and heard first-hand, so could this be considered cruel and unusual punishment since it will be court-appointed and against the boy's (and his LEGAL guardian's) will?

Latest Discussions