Video Training

does video training actually work?

• Yes! video training is a reasonable alternative for anyone who doesn't have time or want to go to a

• Maybe... but only if someone's a real natural

• Only as a supplement to studio training.

• Um... no. you've gotta actually have an instructor physically present. video doesn't cut it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Only as supplemental. In order to do the technique you must understand it, and video can't teach that in my opinion, or teach it well enough.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a good training aid. If you are already in the martial arts, and want to learn another art that's not in your area, it can be useful.

But as far as beginners go, they really should find a real instructor to learn the techniques right the first time, instead of having to break bad habbits later ;)

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Video training is definitely a viable alternative, but only when certain things are in place:

Credibility-The people you learn from must be legit.

Affordability-Otherwise what's the point?

Accessability-You must have the means to ask questions and get clarification when needed.

Accountablity-Without being held accountable for what you're learning (read: detailed critique and proper testing) then it's probably an exercise in futility.

Easy-no. Possible-yes.

Kinda funny that eveything I mentioned needs to be present in a face-to-face training scenario too. Hmm... must mean good instruction is good instruction regardless of the medium.

Respects,
Bill Parsons

S

shotmanuk

For shift workers video training is convenient, accessable and a neccessary way to train, feed back via video taping is also essential.:soapbox:

S

Shinzu

Only as a supplement to studio training.

it will keep things fresh in your mind, but you dont have the advantage of asking an actual qualified instructor on hand.

i would not recommend learning from videos.

E

Eggman

I use Mr Planas' tapes on forms regularly and would not part with them for a moment. I do believe that those tapes only supplement my physical training with an intructor.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, it's pretty much unanimous that most people feel that video is "supplemental" for the "experienced" martial artist.

So would it be "ethhical" for schools or organizations to "recruit" new members using "video" to bring the "experienced" new members up to speed.

The scenario that I'm thinking of would involve seminars and opening up satelite schools.

Opinions please. But logical opinions, not just a yes or no. Thanx, in advance!

:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightingale
can it work?

Nightingale I think your question is too broad.

Do you mean can it teach Empty-Hand Fighting?
Empty-Hand Forms?
Weapons Fighting?
Weapons Forms?

I made a long post on another thread about how you can not transmit or accurately measure the amount of contact someone can take or dish out via video. It can be easily faked either way, but even if not, it can not be understood via video the same way it can be understood if you felt it.

So if this is component of training it can not be measured accurately.

However, if I am a trained Kenpo guy and I buy Mr. Tatum's video to see how he does Alternating Maces different from me then it is entirely reasonable that I can pick up his different moves from his video and apply them correctly and look like he taught me himself.

Is the question then "What is the practical difference between to identical people who study Kenpo from Mr. Tatum (or whoever) whereas one takes classes with him 2 nights a week and one only studies on video and this is the sum total of their Martial Arts experience?"

The question is different if they get to study another art before, during or after. Or if they have prior training, or if they also box somewhere else...

I think you need a much more narrowly defined question or there may not be enough time to discuss this thoroughly before the Sun burns up its fuel and scorches the Earth as it balloons outward. :asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
So would it be "ethhical" for schools or organizations to "recruit" new members using "video" to bring the "experienced" new members up to speed.

If you mean for example that you are in Ed Parker's Kenpo and I am in Tracy Kenpo (a Black Belt school owner) and I want to join you so you send me a tape library to study and then come out and test me over that material and go through it with me in person then, Yes.

This could save you a Lot of time bringing me up to speed and you would know who taught me what.

If you have a TaeKwonDo school and I do Kenpo and I buy your tapes then I think I can also be brought up to speed but you may have a LOT more work to do when you see me in person. Still less work than you would have if you showed up and I had no idea what you were going to teach.

This model sounds like getting a reading list for your college class and reading all your books before class starts. That is a widely recognized model for accelerating your learning and depth of understanding.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it could be useful in practicing a form you allready know, but maybe you forgot part of it, then pop in the video.
I don't think its usefull for learning a new system or anything like that.

7sm

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Video abuse:

1. The wannabe that MAYBE got a yellow belt and spends a lot of time with videos, getting most of his training from that. I actually had a guy apply for a teaching position with my school based on his video knowledge and his sporadic training with some other instructors. He never got any rank, but felt he was pretty good. I am NOT making this up. I politely turned him down.

2. The instructor that offers rank via by-mail video instruction. I have no problem with someone wanting a video tape from an instructor...even one custom designed to cover certain methodologies...but rank?

Advantages:

You go to a seminar and then get the instructor's video to help you recall the techniques he taught, and to get some better insights as to areas you might not have been clear on. At this point it becomes a video notebook. Its even better if you can purchase an actual video of the seminar you attended.

You buy videos of arts similar, or variants, of styles you're studying so as to get a better perspective of what it is you're doing or to augment what you know. Example: The Hapkido guy buys a Kuk Sool Won tape. The Shotokan guy buys a Shorin Ryu tape. The Brazilian jujitsu guy buys a Shooto tape.

You want to see the differences of other arts in contrast to what you're doing, their weaknesses and strong points compared to your system.

Note that I keep saying "what you're doing?" This means it is a supplement to what you've done and are doing on the mat. In other words, you're actively training or have put a lot of time training in the past.

That said, there is no law against novices buying tapes and attempting to learn from them. If they do well as a result of this, great. They would have done much better under a qualified instructor who gave them feedback. The price of a video will buy you a month of training in an inexpensive school or a whole session in a community center or YMCA program.

But still, "wannabes" can buy all the videos they want and train in front of the T.V.

But I am NOT going to hire them.

Regards,

Steve Scott

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Scott:

Very good points.

I notice in your profile that you may be a full-time professional martial arts instructor. Is that true? Feel free to email me if you like. You aren't accepting emails so I had to contact you this way.

Thanks in advance.