Video - Does Judo work for street fights?

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Judo
- mat
- holding on to throwee
= combat jujitsu (more or less), which is what most military forces train in, world-wide. Of course you have to know what you are doing, but being thrown at speed can be devastating. I know of a couple of deaths from that.

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Judo
- mat
- holding on to throwee
= combat jujitsu (more or less), which is what most military forces train in, world-wide. Of course you have to know what you are doing, but being thrown at speed can be devastating. I know of a couple of deaths from that.

Yes
Wrestling TD seem much safer and easier

judo seems like a young guys art

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The two deaths were in civilian combat. I know of only one death on the mats, many years ago a well-ranked black belt died in sparring, but I don't track such things. If someone tries to throw and the other person resists, there can result throws which go badly wrong. I don't know that there are as many or more deaths or serious injuries in judo as there are in other MA or sports, but the impact from being thrown badly might be compared to falling off a ladder from six feet, that's my estimation.

(A karate-karate-karate friend of mine eventually took up judo, and he soon said to me "There's no bullshirt in judo!")

D

Deleted member 39746

Semantics, but the Combbat prefix just generally means they focus more on fighting outside the sport. Say for example, combat judo vs judo, latter is just about doing the sport of judo, former is it applied outside the sport of judo. There isnt actually that big of a diffrence there so its probbly a bad example, pahaah. I dont know if they do strikes or not in combat judo. The diffrence in combat sambo and normal/sport sambo is more evident with one allowing strikes and grappling the other doesnt. and technically allowing pretty much eveything.

Just being semantical, sports judo works pretty well when applied outside its sport.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Semantics, but the Combbat prefix just generally means they focus more on fighting outside the sport. Say for example, combat judo vs judo, latter is just about doing the sport of judo, former is it applied outside the sport of judo. There isnt actually that big of a diffrence there so its probbly a bad example, pahaah. I dont know if they do strikes or not in combat judo. The diffrence in combat sambo and normal/sport sambo is more evident with one allowing strikes and grappling the other doesnt. and technically allowing pretty much eveything.

Just being semantical, sports judo works pretty well when applied outside its sport.
In my experience "combat" in a name can mean - as you said - a non-sport version, or it can mean other things...including basically nothing. Sometimes it's just marketing.

D

Deleted member 39746

In my experience "combat" in a name can mean - as you said - a non-sport version, or it can mean other things...including basically nothing. Sometimes it's just marketing.
Well i meant in times it means something. But correct me if i am wrong there isnt much diffrent in combat judo compare to normal, they might just let you do more things in it. it might just be more applied training ie practicing falls and rolls on concrete etc.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i meant in times it means something. But correct me if i am wrong there isnt much diffrent in combat judo compare to normal, they might just let you do more things in it. it might just be more applied training ie practicing falls and rolls on concrete etc.
I'm not familiar with it, but I'd expect they simply look at it with a non-sport view (closer to the original design of the art) as you suggested.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about Combat Salad-tossing. Yes, in THAT sense.

Latest Discussions