Van Halen on violin

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was extremely cool! The most impressive thing is that he was able to get that tapping effect with only one handful of fingers.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was extremely cool! The most impressive thing is that he was able to get that tapping effect with only one handful of fingers.

Naaa.... that should be easy on the fiddle. Because the scale length is shorter, you can do with one hand what requires two on the longer scaled guitar; trying to make a reach of a fifth (7 frets) on the guitar is damn near impossible with one hand. On the violin, it is a much shorter reach.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought it was neat... but agree that the violin is an inappropriate instrument for that sort of music... <shrugs> ... so sue me.

Kansas and Jethro Tull not-withstanding... the music was written for the violin. Eruption was/is a guitar piece.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kansas and Jethro Tull not-withstanding... the music was written for the violin. Eruption was/is a guitar piece.

Ahh but things cross over all the time there are Classical Guitarists doing classical pieces that was never written for the guitar and there are Viola players playing classical pieces that were written for violin. And piano players do things all the time that were not written for the piano.

But all that said.. I just thought it was pretty cool.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I thought it was neat... but agree that the violin is an inappropriate instrument for that sort of music...

I remembered this last night because of your post.

Many years ago I use to enjoy messing with some people by playing the following songs on my classical guitar

“Motorhead”, “Ace of Spades” and “No Sleep Till Hammersmith” all by Motorhead.

I have to admit at the time I was fairly certain that if Fernando Sor and Andrés Segovia were still alive one would have held me down while the other beat me with my own guitar

So I can see where it could be considered inappropriate... but I still think it's pretty cool

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remembered this last night because of your post.

Many years ago I use to enjoy messing with some people by playing the following songs on my classical guitar

“Motorhead”, “Ace of Spades” and “No Sleep Till Hammersmith” all by Motorhead.

I have to admit at the time I was fairly certain that if Fernando Sor and Andrés Segovia were still alive one would have held me down while the other beat me with my own guitar

So I can see where it could be considered inappropriate... but I still think it's pretty cool

Now you hear that stuff as muzak in an elevator, or as background muzak while shopping. One time I was in a store I heard the muzak playing and I didn't realize right away what the catchy tune was, I knew I had heard it before, only to figure out to my horror that it was the following but with a much slower tempo:

Iron_Man_riff.PNG

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now you hear that stuff as muzak in an elevator, or as background muzak while shopping. One time I was in a store I heard the muzak playing and I didn't realize right away what the catchy tune was, I knew I had heard it before, only to figure out to my horror that it was the following but with a much slower tempo:

Iron_Man_riff.PNG

I AM IRON- er, ALUMINUM FOIL MAN!

Latest Discussions