Van Donk's video

kagemaru74

White Belt
Reaction score
I see he 's an old teacher in Bujinkan!
I know he can be a good teacher, but I want to know has anyone tasted his videos ?
An how did you find it ?
Usefull ?
Unusefull?
Interesting ?
Anyway I train in a dojo, but I' d like to know more before buying this videos!
I don ' t wanna be a flamer!!
Thanks a lot

Kage

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's def'ly interesting but so is other video stuff from various teachers :)
Imho videos can be a nice 'extra' to your training but as a learning source ?
I would rather cross-train in other budo arts to wide the path a bit :)

Keep going buyu , i'll see you in Japan one day ... :)

OP
K

kagemaru74

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear Buyu,
I see you are always in seiza no kamae be careful in a long time it could damamge your knees!! :p
Anyway thanks!!
It's cause I want to see something about togakure, cause in my dojo we use just
Kihon happo and san shin, and i would like to see some tech from togakure!
Thanks anyway buyu
Kage

blood shadow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The videos let me to train and study when I have the time and are well made.Ive trained in a dojo before compared to that the videos are good when you have training partners.he also sells videos that can supplement your training at whatever level your at.

orang_baik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
holy *****
and that supposed to be the highest rank in bujinkan right ?

really ?

did he has any ryu ha video also ?

Kirjava

White Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I'd stay away from his videos. Rank does not always mean anything, and while I don't know about his skill as a martial artist, I have not heard very many good things about his videos.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best videos in my opinion are Sokes videos/dvds. Particularly Kobudo no Kihon and What is Martial Arts. Those two are definately must haves in any collection.
icon6.gif

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best videos in my opinion are Sokes videos/dvds. Particularly Kobudo no Kihon and What is Martial Arts. Those two are definately must haves in any collection.
icon6.gif
I agree, with the glaring exception of one uke who can't throw a punch in Kobudo no Kihon, IIRC. Hatsumi sensei doesn't move at one point and the punch fails to reach him.

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Speaking as a guy who tried to practice through DVD/VHS when I was several hundred miles from a good teacher I'd steer away from the Van Donk videos and go for the Soke's. Not that van Donk's are terrible or anything, it's just that there are better ones out there. I also found Pedro Fleitas' (sp?) videos wonderful, especially the San Shin one. For basics, I'm partial to Jack Hoban's.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Matt

j5smoothe

White Belt
Reaction score
i kind of disagree with this statement because rank is given as a badge of honor based on skill and knowledge. that is in anything if it has substance. for instance there is no way you can obtain rank in the military without first meeting certain requirements. inmho i feel that people learn in different ways so if you feel comfortable with video based learning then go for it, just make sure have some way to have questions answered when they arise. and i believe RVD offers that along with his program.

j5smoothe

White Belt
Reaction score
sorry im new to this i am referring to the statment about rank not meaning anything sometimes.

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
i kind of disagree with this statement because rank is given as a badge of honor based on skill and knowledge. that is in anything if it has substance. for instance there is no way you can obtain rank in the military without first meeting certain requirements. inmho i feel that people learn in different ways so if you feel comfortable with video based learning then go for it, just make sure have some way to have questions answered when they arise. and i believe RVD offers that along with his program.

While true in principle, it's a pretty open "secret" that Soke promotes people for a variety of reasons, be it to encourage them to study harder to meet their new rank, to see if their ego inflates, because of their skills outside of the combat side (healing, medititation/spirituality, knowldege of the art's history, etc) or to just vary the mental stress. I've never trained with Shihan Van Donk so it's not directed at him but I've been to many seminars and even Tai Kai's where some of the lower ranking black belts had taijutsu that was noticably better than some of their seniors.

Matt

j5smoothe

White Belt
Reaction score
While true in principle, it's a pretty open "secret" that Soke promotes people for a variety of reasons, be it to encourage them to study harder to meet their new rank, to see if their ego inflates, because of their skills outside of the combat side (healing, medititation/spirituality, knowldege of the art's history, etc) or to just vary the mental stress. I've never trained with Shihan Van Donk so it's not directed at him but I've been to many seminars and even Tai Kai's where some of the lower ranking black belts had taijutsu that was noticably better than some of their seniors.

Matt
i see where you are coming from now. thanks for clearing that up for me. but, let me make sure that i understand. you are only referring specifically about the taijutsu not being up to par right?

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well I looked at some of RVD's black belt home study dvds that a friend let me borrowed. I do remember watching the beginning video and then I ended up falling asleep and didn't even watch the rest. That doesn't make it a bad video persay but if someone who doesn't have any martial art experience needs a live sensei to correct mistakes. If one already has studied BBT then I can see the supplemental value in these dvds.

Latest Discussions