Useful tips for those starting out in Judo/Jujutsu...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just looking for some tips from those more experienced to those just starting out on what to look for and things to really pay attention to when first starting out

My first tip:

Work on ukemi.....

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't expect to stay upright. Don't fight it, you're going to get thrown. Just accept it, and pay attention to how they do it, and what they do before you find yourself flying.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Keep the mind set of ... DON't GIVE UP!
icon14.gif

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good one.

Also, pay close attention to what your instructors are doing with their feet and hips, not just their hands. Probably the biggest difference between a beginner and more intermediate student is one that doesn't use his whole body for a technique.

To this day me and my friend will designate responsibility during class, one will watch exactly what his feet are doing and the other will focus on the upper body, and later we will piece it together, much easier sometimes than seeing the whole picture yourself...

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Make sure your break falls are correct. Don't fall with your arms down first. Hit the mat the swing the arm out or you hear a "POP" from the shoulder.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I second Jesse's comment. Get your breakfalls down PAT! Each impact landed poorly is like a low-speed car wreck on your body, and the cumulative effect of these can add up to some early-onset arthritis...all over.

So make sure you remain fluid, and land well. You're going to hit the mat anyways...you might as well do it right.

Regards,

Dave

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Train a at least a little each day. On days you don`t go to the dojo, to ten minutes of ukemi, kata, kicks/punches or whatever you feel you need to focus on. Instead of counting sheep, do JJ in your head before going to sleep.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good advice so far. I'll add for recovery's sake: 1) Take fish oil as a suppliment for general joint health. 2) Get plenty of rest.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of good stuff, I like the patience one. Don't get frustrated with yourself. I've seen a lot of people, especially ones from predominantly striking arts get fed with the different style of movement and theory behind the techniques. Stick around for a bit to make sure you don't like it and are not just prejudiced against from previous training

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back up a bit. Since this is for beginners...What's a ukemi?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Back up a bit. Since this is for beginners...What's a ukemi?

Judo, a sportive version of jujutsu. Both maintain many different dimesnions, like side to a dice...different sides, one dice. Seperate but distinct chalters in a book that come together to make up a whole book.

In each sub-division of skills, are "tricks" (Japanese word for these various "tricks" is waza). Ukemi-waza are, basically, how to land without getting hurt. Include breakfalls, rolls, etc. Then, when you are practicing nage-waza (throwing tricks, or more simply, throws) and you are the one being thrown (the uke), you won't get hurt. Well, as badly, anyways.

Regards,

Dave.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
In each sub-division of skills, are "tricks" (Japanese word for these various "tricks" is waza).

I would lean more toward the actual definitions since this thread is for beginners.

Ukemi has already been defined in a previous post. Waza are skills or techniques. Therefore ukemi waza are falling skills. Nage waza are throwing techniques.

Oh, by the way, some actual words for "tricks" would be:

warufuzake (prank)
kotsu (knack)
tejina (feat of magic)
damasu (deceive)
:)

Ivan86

White Belt
Reaction score
Make sure you know your breakfalls, and don't get discouraged when the more experienced belts wipe the mats with you in Randori. Gotta start somewhere.

Latest Discussions