usa goju karate

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
do any of you study usa goju karate? if so what do you like about the system?
i know that the system was founded by peter urban but i dont really know much about him. i went to his website but there really is not much info there. but from what i can tell usa goju karate looks like a really cool system to study.

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i went and watched a class at the school that i hope to start up at in about 1 month (i would start sooner but im doing a 6 week program for my tendinitis in my wrists).
here is a link: http://www.sanyamabushi-goju.com/

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yeah, i checked it out back then. that has been one of the places that stuck in my mind because the teacher was so cool to me.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm prejudiced, but I prefer Okinawan goju to Japanese or USA goju. Just watch Tensho as performed in Urban's line compared to one of the Okinawan ryu-ha like Jundokan, Meibukan, or Shoreikan. It's night and day to me.

That said, if you like the instructor and school, go for it. Just training regularly is far more important than what esoterical style you go for. The majority of my seniors would be hard-pressed to tell me what the differences in the Okinawan goju ryu-ha really are. I'm a bit of a karate nerd. My sempai probably would tell me to shut up and train.

Latest Discussions