OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was able to watch part of Manong Ted's PT training yesterday.

He is lifting 1 lb weight with his right hand to try to keep in shape and also doing some stretches. He does leg squeezes with a soccor sized ball with low air. Unfortunately it is the still the right leg that does all the work right now. While stretching out his left knee he began to cough (* Beginning of a cold or breaking up of congestion in the body? *), his left leg did contract. I talked to the Therapist about this, as it looked to be involuntary. He agreed that it was an involuntary motion caused by the diaphram contracted and the ham string reacting. So the good news is that some stuff still works but we just have to continue to retrain the body to get to try to recognize and control with voluntary reactions. He also stood a couple of times, each time was ten minutes without loosing balance and falling or leaning to far.

Long road to go still but he is working hard and is making some progress.

Thank you all here on this site and others that have wished him well. I tell him about it and it brings a smile to his face.

Thank you :asian:

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On another note:

Manong Ted and his Family will be going to a Filipino cultral event this weekend. He is able to get outside on the deck now with his chair, and I think the trip to a new location will do him wonders. :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
On another note:

Manong Ted and his Family will be going to a Filipino cultral event this weekend. He is able to get outside on the deck now with his chair, and I think the trip to a new location will do him wonders. :)

Rich was at the event and I was not, so he can give an update on how that went.

I just wanted to say, though, thanks to the entire Balintawak crew for uniting together to congratulate Manong Ted.

Mr. Buot was given an achievement award for his contributions to the Filipino Cultural group Ang Visaya of Michigan. His wife Manong Dennie had informed us of this award before the event. So, his students that were available got together and designed and paid for an advertisement for the program that basically stated our gratitude for all that Manong has done for us. The proceeds from the money collected from all advertisements and such went to help out mudslide victims, so that was for a good cause as well.

It was nice that Manong Teds students were able to work together to make something like that happened. I know Manong appreciated it. It is little things like this that give the old man comfort in knowing that his students can join together when needed. This brings a lot of optimism to him (and myself, frankly) regarding the future of carrying on our Balintawak tradition.

Nice job everyone!

Paul Janulis

soncen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
B30-L5 CNSP, Canduman, Mandaue City, Cebu, Philipp
Hello Paul,

And to all of you in the lineage of Noy Ted Buot, I really appreciate of the great effort you extended to a great man who labored much in the propagation of our Balintawak Martial art. Noy Teddy is a Filipino and you’re Americans but you treated him so will like your own father (he is your father/teacher in the Balintawak Arnis) and I was touched by the way you do little things (although for me is big enough) to comfort knowing that all his student are joining together showing solidarity and gratitude in this moment of his agony caused by illness. Rich Parsons was doing great job in monitoring the situation since the beginning Noy Teddy was hospitalized.

In behalf of the Teovel Balintawak Self-defense club here in Mandaue City, I thank all of you for taking care of our fellow Countryman. Please extend our heartfelt congratulation to Noy Teddy for his recovery and for receiving an achievement award for his contribution to the Filipino cultural group Ang Visaya of Michigan. Please send also my regards to Nang Dennie (the wife of Noy Teddy), she’s a sister to Noy Arturo Sanchez and they are my distant relatives. I have some other relatives in Michigan particularly in Grosse Pointe if in case Nang Dennie meet or know Nang Daday Rett Ceniza Colina-Maribao who was a Nurse by profession working in a certain Hospital.

Thanks and God bless!!!

Wilson R. Ceniza

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you sir!

I will relay the information to Manong Ted and Dennie. We all really appreciate it. :)

I am very impressed with all that Manong Teds students do to help out and spend time with him and the family. We really are very lucky to have such a small but gracious group. I feel very fortunate to be a part of it.

Thanks again and I will send Manong Ted and Dennie your regards and regards on behalf of the Teovel Balintawak Self-defense club.

Take care!

:)

Paul Janulis

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Rich was at the event and I was not, so he can give an update on how that went.

I just wanted to say, though, thanks to the entire Balintawak crew for uniting together to congratulate Manong Ted.

Mr. Buot was given an achievement award for his contributions to the Filipino Cultural group Ang Visaya of Michigan. His wife Manong Dennie had informed us of this award before the event. So, his students that were available got together and designed and paid for an advertisement for the program that basically stated our gratitude for all that Manong has done for us. The proceeds from the money collected from all advertisements and such went to help out mudslide victims, so that was for a good cause as well.

It was nice that Manong Teds students were able to work together to make something like that happened. I know Manong appreciated it. It is little things like this that give the old man comfort in knowing that his students can join together when needed. This brings a lot of optimism to him (and myself, frankly) regarding the future of carrying on our Balintawak tradition.

Nice job everyone!

Paul Janulis

Paul et al,

Actually I saw the group's name typed as "Ang Bisaya", I believed pronounced almost the same either way.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
soncen said:
Hello Paul,

And to all of you in the lineage of Noy Ted Buot, I really appreciate of the great effort you extended to a great man who labored much in the propagation of our Balintawak Martial art. Noy Teddy is a Filipino and you’re Americans but you treated him so will like your own father (he is your father/teacher in the Balintawak Arnis) and I was touched by the way you do little things (although for me is big enough) to comfort knowing that all his student are joining together showing solidarity and gratitude in this moment of his agony caused by illness. Rich Parsons was doing great job in monitoring the situation since the beginning Noy Teddy was hospitalized.

In behalf of the Teovel Balintawak Self-defense club here in Mandaue City, I thank all of you for taking care of our fellow Countryman. Please extend our heartfelt congratulation to Noy Teddy for his recovery and for receiving an achievement award for his contribution to the Filipino cultural group Ang Visaya of Michigan. Please send also my regards to Nang Dennie (the wife of Noy Teddy), she’s a sister to Noy Arturo Sanchez and they are my distant relatives. I have some other relatives in Michigan particularly in Grosse Pointe if in case Nang Dennie meet or know Nang Daday Rett Ceniza Colina-Maribao who was a Nurse by profession working in a certain Hospital.

Thanks and God bless!!!

Wilson R. Ceniza

Wilson,

Thank you for your very kind words. :asian:

I will also pass on your best wishes and your comments, even though it may come from multiple people, Manong Ted enjoys the comments and also knowing that people care to pass on to him.

Thank you and best regards.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A link to part of the intro for "Enter Garote"

If someone knows of a location where I could pick up a "legal" copy of this movie, please let me know, and I will arrange for payment and shipment or purchase online.

Thank you

:asian:

PS: I am looking for a copy for my instructor Manong Ted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I keep fricking forgeting to Email Dr. Presas. He said he would send Manong a copy of those Anciong vids we saw at his event. I'll see Manong this week and I'll do it after that! :)

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yesterday I and most of Manong Ted's Students who were in town, went to his 75th Birthday party. It was a lot of fun. His students got him a nice plaque, Special Thanks to Paul (Not Tulisin) and Jaye who went to get it set up. Lots of cards as well as lots of family and friend. Some also brought additional gifts to be presented as well. I did nto see them all so I cannot comment or list. For that I apologise.

The party began at 4:00 PM with a full Mass. Nice Touch for many who were there.

Lots of traditional PI food and good company. It was about 9:30 PM when it was jsut a few studnets and some family left remaining and we called it a night.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. Paul Lindson (sp?) had a wonderful plaque made of which all of us present (Manong Ted's students) helped pitch in money. It was really well done and worded wonderfully. I felt the full impact of the words from actually reading it outloud for everyone, which was a nice touch (nice job btw to those who suggested that I do that). Mr. Lindson deserves our gratitude for putting that together for sure.

Awesome time in general. I must say after about 5 plates of food later...ahem. ;) I told Melissa that I will be coming over weekly for leftovers! :uhyeah:

It is always great to see everyone; the family as well as the students. We are all very fortunate to be a part of such a supportive group. All of Manongs students are inclusive and supportive of each other. We are also very fortunate to be considered a part of the extended family. The Buot Family (Manong Ted and Dennie, their children, and extended family) is extremely hospitable, and have really done a great job including all of us students and making us feel welcome always; as all of us students really care for our teacher and the family.

Manong Ted was in good spirits at this gathering; probably the best that I have seen in a while. And he should be in good spirits as well as he should be proud; he raised a great family, and did a wonderful job at picking a good group of students, and he successfully carries on our Balintawak tradition.

This was a great experience that I will take with me for the rest of my life...

Paul Janulis

Kachan

White Belt
Reaction score
You know.. It's really..strange..to see so much stuff about my uncle online.. even stranger when this is how I find out how serious his condition in the hospital was D:
ughh nobody ever tells me anything ~_~;;
I haven't seen him since the anniversary wedding..thing when I was in 4th grade.. you obviously have more of a connection with him so it'd be nice if you could check and see how he's doing for me? ):

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only met him once but he was very generous with his time and concern. Thanks for posting here.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know.. It's really..strange..to see so much stuff about my uncle online.. even stranger when this is how I find out how serious his condition in the hospital was D:
ughh nobody ever tells me anything ~_~;;
I haven't seen him since the anniversary wedding..thing when I was in 4th grade.. you obviously have more of a connection with him so it'd be nice if you could check and see how he's doing for me? ):

Kachan,

Contact me via Private message or e-mail from this site, and I can get you in contact with Melissa, his youngest daughter.

Thanks

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An Update on Manong Ted Buot,

Family and a few students spent time with him on his birthday back in the beginning of July. He enjoyed his day and was able to talk to me later in the day (* early evening *) one on one. He is doing well and he was asking about others and how they were doing.

Thanks

Rich

medic

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Rich. Keep us informed of Manong Ted's progress. It is wonderful that he was able to talk to you for awhile

Latest Discussions