University student uses karate to defeat mugger

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.theramonline.com/mobile/...sfully-wards-off-would-be-assailant-1.2322646

Anthony Tochet, CBA ’13, was alone in the Belmont neighborhood at around 11:45 p.m. walking toward campus when his attacker struck from behind.
“I felt him hit me with his elbow on my shoulder,” Tochet said, gesturing to his bandaged right shoulder. “I took karate, so I knew that he would try to get me with a weapon.”
Tochet responded by striking his attacker, inflicting wounds on the man while also sustaining some injuries to his own hands and upper body in the process.
Noticing that his would-be mugger was lying on the ground, Tochet called 9-1-1 and waited with him until an ambulance arrived and brought the two to a hospital for surveillance and treatment, the name of which Tochet was unable to identify.
At the hospital, Tochet was told that he had broken several of his assailant’s bones, including multiple ribs, and that the assailant was still unconscious, but that upon waking, the attacker would be charged for the attempted mugging. Law enforcement officials assured Tochet that because he acted in self-defense, and because he called and waited for an ambulance for the man, he would not be charged with anything.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
This picture of the student was taken during the confrontation:
20070619-do-you-want-karate.jpg

Well done.

Latest Discussions