Uninterruptible Power Supplies!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to put my garage door opener on a UPS. Has anyone done this? What size UPS? Did you mount it or keep it on the floor?

Mine is a 1/2 HP motor. (~375 Watts).

I am not convinced a 500VA UPS will be reliable enough, esp. considering if I do end up needing it, it will be because I lost power in a winter storm. Batteries hate winter...it messes up their chi or something. ;)

I'm looking at this 1000VA APC. Overkill?

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-O...TZ3W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1290234318&sr=8-9

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I'd like to put my garage door opener on a UPS. Has anyone done this? What size UPS? Did you mount it or keep it on the floor?

Mine is a 1/2 HP motor. (~375 Watts).

I am not convinced a 500VA UPS will be reliable enough, esp. considering if I do end up needing it, it will be because I lost power in a winter storm. Batteries hate winter...it messes up their chi or something. ;)

I'm looking at this 1000VA APC. Overkill?

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-O...TZ3W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1290234318&sr=8-9

Depends upon how much work your opener is actually doing: how much does the door weigh, and what's the average opening time?

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends upon how much work your opener is actually doing: how much does the door weigh, and what's the average opening time?

I actually don't know the weight. Its a single car (detached) garage, if that helps.

Average opening time...I'd say 12 seconds.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just saw a commercial for a garage door opener with built in UPS. I didn't really pay attention, except to note it was a cool idea.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just saw a commercial for a garage door opener with built in UPS. I didn't really pay attention, except to note it was a cool idea.

It is a cool idea. My garage door has an emergency mechanical mechanism that one can use to somehow crank open the door, but someone utilized that very mechanism to burglarize me as I was moving in. I disconnected the cables after that. :(

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a cool idea. My garage door has an emergency mechanical mechanism that one can use to somehow crank open the door, but someone utilized that very mechanism to burglarize me as I was moving in. I disconnected the cables after that. :(
From the outside?
That is a neat idea too, burglary aside...
I'm just used to the old red handle on a short rope. But, then my landlord didn't want to buy an new garage door opener, and there isn't room to park my car in there anyways...

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the outside?
That is a neat idea too, burglary aside...
I'm just used to the old red handle on a short rope. But, then my landlord didn't want to buy an new garage door opener, and there isn't room to park my car in there anyways...

Yup, from the outside. On the outside of the door, there is a large(ish) keyhole on the centerline. That kehole is attached to a gearing system, and steel cable connects the gear and the door. So, by inserting some sort of key/tool (which I don't have) in the keyhole and cranking it around, it is possible to crank the door open at least part way. It IS pretty cool...I just wish I had figured that out before I used the garage as a holding pen for some of my stuff....LOL

I have never actually seen it in operation, so I don't know much sweating and cursing is involved to actually get the thing open. But I'm reasonably certain that even if someone like me could do it, I wouldn't want to be doing it in a blizzard or an ice storm :D

Latest Discussions