Unarmed Fighting Techniques of The Samurai!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I received my copy of Unarmed Fighting Techniques Of The Samurai yesterday. I will be doing a comprehensive review on my Blog in the next few days.
icon14.gif

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay I received my copy of Unarmed Fighting Techniques Of The Samurai yesterday. I will be doing a comprehensive review on my Blog in the next few days.
icon14.gif

I think it's great. Mine came 2 days ago -- earlier than expected, and just in time to get it autocalligraphed at Hombu this weekend.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have a copy but I thumbed thru my instructor's copy this week before training, and it looks like something well worth having.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unarmed Fighting Techniques Of The Samurai

I sat down and browsed through this at the bookstore recently. As someone who doesn't practice a JMA but who enjoyed several of Mr. Hatsumi's previous books, esp. the stickfighting ones, I found it very disappointing. It uses stock photos from many periods of his life, not to illustrate the techniques but just as images (indeed, many of the pictures show him using weapons, contrary to the title); it has interesting artwork but again it isn't directly relevant to the text; it has some philosophizing and long lists of the techniques of various ryu, followed by very brief descriptions ("Do A, then do B"). I can see where it would be a useful resource to a practitioner but the title is misleading. It's a partial Bujinkan syllabus, mixed with random thoughts and even more random photos. It's for enthusiasts only.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sat down and browsed through this at the bookstore recently. As someone who doesn't practice a JMA but who enjoyed several of Mr. Hatsumi's previous books, esp. the stickfighting ones, I found it very disappointing.

I could see that... the book probably isn't much use to an outsider... other than it looking pretty. :)

it has some philosophizing and long lists of the techniques of various ryu, followed by very brief descriptions ("Do A, then do B"). I can see where it would be a useful resource to a practitioner but the title is misleading. It's a partial Bujinkan syllabus, mixed with random thoughts and even more random photos. It's for enthusiasts only.

Yep, IMHO, I think that's intentional... sorta a guide for us, but not meant to TEACH the techniques/Kata listed there. Like any other training aid, some folk will find it useful, some will not...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is indeed fun to look through! But for a book that I found in Books-A-Million in the Martial Arts section with such a generic title, I do think it's a bit misleading not to have it more clearly indicated that it's intended for BBT practitioners and isn't truly a book on "Unarmed Fighting Techniques of The Samurai" for those interested in the same. Even taken not as a technique-teaching book, it still doesn't live up to the title in my opinion.

That having been said, I'd like to have such a specific guide for my own art from our late grandmaster!

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised with the comment Soke made on Judo in the end photo of the book. This to me will be a great reference book on the Schools featured in the book. It'll be right next to my Ten Chi Jin.

Latest Discussions