Ukemi

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will admit that most of my ukemi training is incidental to the regular class. We don't normally focus on ukemi in class. Actually, it is expected of us to practice it on our own time (once shown how). I am guilty for not practicing it enough on my own.

However, in light of my much less than perfect ukemi practice schedule, it did prevent me from having an injury in a recent paintball game. I was running and got tripped up in some taller grass. Well, instead of crashing to the ground I rolled through it and jumped back up onto my feet and continued running to my objective. The only thought that crossed my mind was mid point in the roll where my only thought was that I didn't crush the paintball pods that were on my hip. It just happened without any forethought, so I know it was my training that did it.

Lastly, I am honestly trying to make ukemi, sanshin, and junan taiso part of my morning workout routine when I return from the gym.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mickey Mullins: "How do you practice?Is it only in the dojo,your garden,your roof,against opponent/s,the wifes cat/s,the BarB-Q grill,etc.Do you jump out of moving vehicles like airplanes and boats?Do you practice underwater? In snow,sand,OR glass?"

Most of the variety of skills I drill on my own at home or at parks. In the dojo - sometimes, especially to help out beginers; depends on the lesson. My garden? As long as I don't damage the plants too badly. Roof - not lately, but I've practiced a little shige gaeshi in the past.

I mountain bike (there aren't any mountains in Florida, so it's not too strenuous), and rollerblade. Ukemi skills have saved my hide on several of those occasions. Real fights I've been in sometimes involved ground rolling skills. & I like wrestling with my Mom's dog (pitt bull terrier).

I have also taken gymnastics lessons in the past, so enjoy practicing taijutsu applications of handsprings, cartwheels, etc.

Jun and gyaku nagare, specifically, are done once in a while - in the dojo and for solo practice, but are rare. More common are the following types of ukemi skills that I have used or practiced both on my own and at dojo:

zagata zenpou ukemi – seated forward break-fall
zagata kouhou ukemi – seated backward break-fall
yoko nagare – sideways flow
shizen tatte zenpou ukemi – natural standing forward break-fall
kouhou ukemi – backward break-fall
yokonagashi zenpou ukemi – sideways flowing forward fall

zenpou kaiten, ryoute – forward roll, two-handed
kouhou kaiten, ryoute – backward roll, two-handed
naname zenpou kaiten – diagonal forward roll
zenpou kaiten, katate – forward roll, one-handed
outen, ryoute – “cartwheel” (barrel roll), two-handed
kouhou kaiten, katate – backward roll, one-handed
sokuhou kaiten – sideways roll
yoko nagare kaiten – sideways flowing roll
zenpou kaiten, mute – forward roll, no-hands
kouhou kaiten, mute – backward roll, no-hands
outen, katate – “cartwheel” (barrel roll), one-handed
naname, happou kaiten – diagonal, eight-direction roll
hicho tobi kaiten – flying / diving roll
zenpou / kouhou kiten – forward / backward “spirit flip” handsprings

Could anyone describe tare nagare for me? I don't know if I've ever done it, and I rarely see anything about it.