Ufc70, 4/19/07

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is the card & my picks:
Mirko Cro Cop vs. G. Gonzaga – Mirko (are you kidding?)
David Heath vs. Lyoto Machida - Lyoto
Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic - Mike
Andrei Arlovski vs. Fabricio Werdum - Andrei
Assuerio Silva vs. Cheick Kongo – Assuerio
Terry Etim vs. Matt Grice - Terry
Junior Assuncao vs. David Lee - Junior
Victor Valimaki vs. Alessio Sakara - Alessio
Dennis Siver vs. Jess Liaudin - Jess
Edilberto Crocota vs. Paul Taylor – Edilberto
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it is free.

Now that truly is awesome!
icon14.gif

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just have to avoid the internet for a few hours before hand, its free and on Spike, but not live :)

OP
Sensei Tom O'Brien

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
UFC 70 Countdown: Cro Cop vs Gonzaga re-play

Date:04/20/2007 11:59 PM ET/PT Event Type:Spike TV - Show
pixel.gif

Premiere: Thursday, 4/19 at 11:00pm
Reairs: Friday, 4/20 at midnight and Saturday, 4/21 at 6:00pm

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My personal support is for Mike, Terry and Jess. All great guys. Jess and Mike have fought on our shows. Go lads! (for Jess - Allez le bleu!)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
UFC 70 Countdown: Cro Cop vs Gonzaga re-play

Date:04/20/2007 11:59 PM ET/PT Event Type:Spike TV - Show
pixel.gif

Premiere: Thursday, 4/19 at 11:00pm
Reairs: Friday, 4/20 at midnight and Saturday, 4/21 at 6:00pm

http://70.ufc.com/

April 21st, I don't know where you are getting that date, but all of the official posters and information says April 21st (Saturday) not the 19th (A Thursday)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cage Rage, another big show here is on the same day, it seems the UFC chose their date to try and spoil CR. http://www.cagerage.tv/

I doubt it, there are so many MMA events now and UFC has had 2 Saturday ones in April. Chances are any UFC is going to land on the same date as some other smaller MMA event.

UFC events quite often fall on the same dates as other events over here.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt it, there are so many MMA events now and UFC has had 2 Saturday ones in April. Chances are any UFC is going to land on the same date as some other smaller MMA event.

UFC events quite often fall on the same dates as other events over here.

Small? Cage Rage is not small lol! It will more than likely get a bigger audience than UFC.
I was actually being tactful as we know that it was scheduled for the same day, the MMA world of promoters and fighters is a tight knit one over here and there's very few secrets!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cage_Rage

Also from http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3558&zoneid=3

"Then we have the big one, or two, on April 21st, this is a bad day for UK MMA fans with Cage Rage 21 and UFC 70 going head to head. Cage Rage are really responding to the threat of the UFC by signing Bob Sapp (unfortunately miss-matched against Buzz Berry), Vitor Belfort who faces heavy handed 5-0 Italian wrestler Ivan Serati, Cyborg against cage absentee James Zikic, Matsui vs. Weir and Epstein vs. Roman Webber. Late changes to the card have seen the rematch between Pokem and Reid split and become Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Tom Watson and Reid vs Murilo “Ninja” Rua. A surprise addition to the card is Abdul Mohammed stepping up to Welterweight to face Ross Pointon. Yes, you read it right, Ross is out of the UFC and back in the UK rebuilding his career under the guidance of Warrior Promotions.

I have a funny feeling we will be seeing a lot of Ross in the coming months on the UK scene. He is 1-8 in his last 9 fights, a statistic that doesn’t really speak wonders for his warrior spirit and I think that with the right guidance the team behind Warrior Promotions will be smart enough to rebuild his career and make sure he takes the sensible fights. Although the fight against Abdul Mohammed is a good step in the right direction, it’s a tough fight, his signing is a two fight deal with the second part coming in June against Dean Bray.

To top all of this, Cage Rage has scored a march by landing a free live to air UK TV deal with Sky Sports 3 whereas the UFC are going down the PPV route with Setanta Sports. From a fan level you’re left with the conundrum of which show to go to… UFC up in Manchester or Cage Rage in London, I actually know a very well respected member of the UK MMA scene who is considering ordering the UFC PPV and watching SKY TV at home with a box of popcorn to see it all unfold… you know who you are!

Mind you, Cage Rage and the UFC will likely be going hammer on tongs before then as the UFC is slapping a lawsuit on Cage Rage for their use of the term “Ultimate Fighting.” We shall see how this one resolves as many organizations within the UK use this term to define the sport of MMA."

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Small? Cage Rage is not small lol! It will more than likely get a bigger audience than UFC.
I was actually being tactful as we know that it was scheduled for the same day, the MMA world of promoters and fighters is a tight knit one over here and there's very few secrets!

Small in comparisson to the UFC or Pride I guess I should say, but not small :)

I suppose its possible the UFC picked the date to intentionally go head to head against Cage Rage, but conflicts happen all the time, so I wouldn't just jump to that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small in comparisson to the UFC or Pride I guess I should say, but not small :)

I suppose its possible the UFC picked the date to intentionally go head to head against Cage Rage, but conflicts happen all the time, so I wouldn't just jump to that.

Sorry, it's not jumping to a conclusions, more insider knowledge lol! Pride and Cage Rage are partners btw though they won't be taken over with them.

Fightcard from one of our shows a couple of years back when Micheal Bisping was starting out,Leigh Remedious on it too, he was in the last UFC to be in the UK. Abdul Mohammed too who's on CR.Note the Keith Dace fight result lol!
http://www.prideandglory.org.uk/glory_days_fight_report.htm

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, it's not jumping to a conclusions, more insider knowledge lol!

Right then :)

Well, not like promoters have played nice in the past, why start now?

Would sure be a kick in the pants to the UFC if Cage Rage sold more then the UFC then ;)

Latest Discussions