UFC: The Ultimate Fighter 10 Quick recap

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
It looks like another season of trash-talking and MMA is upon us as the Ultimate Fighter 10 kicked off with new coaches Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans.

More...
The hardest hitting UFC news from MMARingReport.com

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
not saying the previous seasons weren't entertaining, but these 2 as coaches are hilarious. I kept laughing. Who knew those 2 were so funny. It looks like it will be a good one just because of Rashad and Rampage.

On a side note. I almost feel for kimbo. everyone is gunning for him. I like that he has remained humble for the most part. and he is wanting to learn and improve.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this season will be a fun one! With Rashad & Rampage plus Kimbo I feel there is a nice mix of intrigue and looking at the cast maybe some really good matches.
icon14.gif

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing that I see being tested is Rampage's coaching skills, which I think are somewhat in question. He got thoroughly trounced his last time as coach....and it started again. he picked a really bad match up for his guy. I wonder if this is just a fluke or something more persistent in his coaching/ability to set up good matches. I know I didn't really like how he walked out on his fighter during the third round. I get that he was frustrated that his guy was not listening to him (but he'd lost that fight in the first round and never really recovered). For me, a good coach sticks by their guy no matter what.

We shall see. No matter the outcome, it should be entertaining though.

Peace,
Erik

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, i was bit confused by that pick of a fight and even more dissapointed in the fight itself, although the "little" guy did his thing. He jacked the tall guy up.

as for this season... Mayweather should watch and see "all the white boys" on the show....idiot. (if your wondering what i mean, Mayweather said "UFC was made by a bunch of white boys because they couldnt make it in boxing")

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That first fight was appalling, I've seen amateurs fight better. It was shocking and if thats the best lot they can produce for the UFC, dear me I'd hate to see the worst. There was little skill, less knowledge and it was absolutely horrible to watch, I was cringing at the sheer incompetancy of the fighters! I hope to goodness it gets better.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This episode really brought up the whole glove-touch-salute thing. I think that if your opponent raises a glove up just before the fight, you shouldn't be an a** about it and take him down.

The losing fighter should have figured that out when they didn't touch gloves when they met with the ref in the middle of the ring...

On the flipside, if your opponent responds with a takedown when you go for the salute the first time, he'll probably do the same thing again the next round.

I guess, ultimately, you shouldn't do it. That kind of stuff is thrown out the window as soon as the bell rings.

That fight in particular should have been stopped. Ridiculously bloody and the losing fighter had no reason to be in that fight. He looked absolutely clueless to everything the first few times he was tagged in the face.

Damon1698

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That first fight was appalling, I've seen amateurs fight better. It was shocking and if thats the best lot they can produce for the UFC, dear me I'd hate to see the worst. There was little skill, less knowledge and it was absolutely horrible to watch, I was cringing at the sheer incompetency of the fighters! I hope to goodness it gets better.
1. they're heavyweights if you want more exiting fights stay with watching welterweights
2. they are amateurs lol 95% anyways
3. wait till the later fights till they're trained more, and more amped up to fight to expect a good fight
4. you spelled incompetency wrong and my spell checker won't leave me alone lol
5. I do agree with the complete lack of skill shown in both fighters especially the taller one/forgot name/ who had plenty of warning about the takedowns but still did nothing to stop them he didn't deserve to be in tuf imo

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. they're heavyweights if you want more exiting fights stay with watching welterweights
3. wait till the later fights till they're trained more, and more amped up to fight to expect a good fight
4. you spelled incompetency wrong and my spell checker won't leave me alone lol
5. I do agree with the complete lack of skill shown in both fighters especially the taller one/forgot name/ who had plenty of warning about the takedowns but still did nothing to stop them he didn't deserve to be in tuf imo

Now you know how my spellchecker goes with all these American spellings!

Heavyweights can certainly be exciting (there's a c in there btw unless it was a Freudian slip?)and I've seen many heavyweights fight better than that including one of the coaches in there Tom Blackledge. Being HW doesn't mean you have to be slow, ponderous and boring. Another good HW who you might have seen reffing UFC from the UK is Marc Goddard, his fights were exciting. he's a good ref too to whom I owe a lot for helping me ref pro fights.

Wagonmancer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree it's pretty weak to tackle a guy when he's trying to touch gloves, but for that reason i never liked the idea off touching gloves after the bell. If they do decide to do that it's legal and you have to deal it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree it's pretty weak to tackle a guy when he's trying to touch gloves, but for that reason i never liked the idea off touching gloves after the bell. If they do decide to do that it's legal and you have to deal it.

The way most of us work it and when I'm reffing I certainly do is that they come into the middle so I can give the last minute instructions ie listen to me, defend yourself at all time etc bits, they touch gloves then (many bow to each other too) and go back to their corners. When told to come out fighting that's exactly what they do, no room that way for do we, don't we touch gloves worry then.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

You know I somewhat agree. With HW I don't look for nor want to see a bunch of ground fighting. I will let the WW do that since it is more interesting. I like seeing 2 big HW slug it out till one of them falls like a big oak tree. Now I am not saying I don't respect the ground game of some and not saying some don't have skills on the ground, I just prefer the slugfest when it comes to 2 big guys.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I somewhat agree. With HW I don't look for nor want to see a bunch of ground fighting. I will let the WW do that since it is more interesting. I like seeing 2 big HW slug it out till one of them falls like a big oak tree. Now I am not saying I don't respect the ground game of some and not saying some don't have skills on the ground, I just prefer the slugfest when it comes to 2 big guys.

That would make it boxing or kickboxing then not MMA.
I know fighters at all weights who can fight on the floor and standing with equal skill. The whole point of MMA is that it is a game of physical chess not a slugfest.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing that I see being tested is Rampage's coaching skills, which I think are somewhat in question. He got thoroughly trounced his last time as coach....and it started again. he picked a really bad match up for his guy.
Well, he did say he had good JJ. Dunno why Rampage believed him.

I wonder if this is just a fluke or something more persistent in his coaching/ability to set up good matches.
He seemed to be betting on the size of the fighter for every matchup. He picked every single big guy he could.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Next week it is Kimbo's turn. Rashad picked him to fight Big Country last night.

On another note the fight last night was interesting Rampage's huge 6 ft 7 guy against a smaller guy who had an excellent stand up game. In the end the small guy chopped down the big guy with leg kicks.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought that was an abysmal fight. The big guy, as scary looking as he was, did not have the fundamental skills (standing or on the ground) nor did he have the conditioning. he was counting on his strength and reach for a quick knock out in the first round. BUT, he didn't have the moves to capitalize and finish when he had the advantage. I wasn't terribly impressed with the other guy either, but he deserved the win...ti should not have been that close though.

I just don't think Rampage has the coaching skills nor the ability to choose good matches for his fighters. He doesn't seem to have a realistic view of where his fighters skills and strengths are at. Not saying I could do any better....but then again, I'm not coaching and cornering anyone either. :)

I really hope the fights get better as this season goes long. I'm really disappointed.

Peace,
Erik

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the fact that the smaller guy not only outlasted him but also really worked the legs and kept it standing. It was not a great fight and the cardio was poor by both but it was interesting.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if he would have beaten anyone else on Rashad's team. He didn't look good at all.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So far I am not impress at all. I mean the fights look so blah at best. I am hoping it gets better as it goes on.