UFC 89 Bisping vs Leben Results

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
10-19-2008 09:39 AM:Michael Bisping defeated Chris Leben via decision, Keith Jardine took a split-decision over Brandon Vera, Luiz Cane defeated Rameau Sokoudjou, and more as the UFC went to London.

More...
MMA Ring Report
The hardest hitting news from the hardest hitting sport.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LONDON? it was in Birmingham!!!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I saw it looked like a great show!
icon6.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I missed it all as I went down to Cornwall for a weeks break but am busy catching up on it all! I was told Mikey had won, though of course lol!
Disappointed for Jess and Sammy, la prochaine fois mes amis! Dan Hardy, well, we knew he'd be a good addition to the UFC, joining Terry!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bisping did great!! nice combos awesome timing and was pretty much beating Leben to the punches. Leben was taking a real beating and he seemed to want to rely on throwing wild lefts.

The fight for the most part was stand up and an exciting one at that.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bisping did great!! nice combos awesome timing and was pretty much beating Leben to the punches. Leben was taking a real beating and he seemed to want to rely on throwing wild lefts.

The fight for the most part was stand up and an exciting one at that.

I can't remember it staying on the ground except for a little bit in the first round. It was almost all stand up.

It also was more of a technical fight. Both fighters came out looking good. But, Bisping had 5 inches of reach on Leben and just stood outside of range and then struck when Leben would try and close the distance. As the fight progressed you could see Leben getting more frustrated and then started throwing the big bombs looking for a KO.

I was disappointed after the fight to hear Bisping say you wanted to take it to the judges and get a unanimous decision. I like it when fighters FIGHT and try to win the fight. I don't like it when fighters do only enough to get the judges nod and not fully commit to ending it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember it staying on the ground except for a little bit in the first round. It was almost all stand up.

It also was more of a technical fight. Both fighters came out looking good. But, Bisping had 5 inches of reach on Leben and just stood outside of range and then struck when Leben would try and close the distance. As the fight progressed you could see Leben getting more frustrated and then started throwing the big bombs looking for a KO.

I was disappointed after the fight to hear Bisping say you wanted to take it to the judges and get a unanimous decision. I like it when fighters FIGHT and try to win the fight. I don't like it when fighters do only enough to get the judges nod and not fully commit to ending it.

Interview with Bisping http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...sputed-decision-at-UFC-89-Boxing-and-MMA.html he says here he went out to win and it was a tough fight. Knowing Mikey I doubt he'd just go for a points win, for one thing it's too precarious to rely on just doing enough. He certainly looks as if he'd had a tough fight.

On some American forums there has been a lot of anti Bisping and anti British talk. I think one of the problems is that possibly British MMA fans and American MMA fan seem to differ in what they want to see. Over here Bisping's tactical fighting is much appreciated and is the normal way of fighting whereas possibly because the UFC is what most American fans see as MMA they want the more sort of brawling fight - big punches and big KO's. From reading comments from both sides of the pond this seems to the thoughts of most British MMA supporters. As I've said before most of us are TMA trained people (Bisping certainly is, kickboxing, TKD and BJJ) and the tactical part of the competition is vitally important.

Last edited:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't really seen any anti British talk, but much of the anti Bisping talk started with Bisping's trash talking leading up to the Matt Hamill fight and only escalated with the controversial results of that fight.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interview with Bisping http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...sputed-decision-at-UFC-89-Boxing-and-MMA.html he says here he went out to win and it was a tough fight. Knowing Mikey I doubt he'd just go for a points win, for one thing it's too precarious to rely on just doing enough. He certainly looks as if he'd had a tough fight.

On some American forums there has been a lot of anti Bisping and anti British talk. I think one of the problems is that possibly British MMA fans and American MMA fan seem to differ in what they want to see. Over here Bisping's tactical fighting is much appreciated and is the normal way of fighting whereas possibly because the UFC is what most American fans see as MMA they want the more sort of brawling fight - big punches and big KO's. From reading comments from both sides of the pond this seems to the thoughts of most British MMA supporters. As I've said before most of us are TMA trained people (Bisping certainly is, kickboxing, TKD and BJJ) and the tactical part of the competition is vitally important.

Maybe he just misspoke himself, or I misunderstood what was said. It kind of surprised me because before the fight he talked about ko-ing him and wanting a short fight. Then the comments after it seemed opposite.

I agree with the British vs. American view of fighting. I remember in boxing watching Lennox Lewis and how much grief he got over being a technical fighter instead of really going for the KO a la Tyson.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't really seen any anti British talk, but much of the anti Bisping talk started with Bisping's trash talking leading up to the Matt Hamill fight and only escalated with the controversial results of that fight.

There's some rabid comments on Sherdog sadly and a lot of comments on others.
Of course some of the comments are funny and witten by troll or kids who don't actually know what MMa is about. A couple of my favourites are 'the brits should get better dentists' and ' even David Beckham knows American sports are better' on an thread about Bisping.
Trash talk is there to publicise a show, we don't have a lot of it here but no one takes it seriously anyway however it seems expected in the UFC.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whats that? trolling on sherdog? never :D itrs actually a shame since there are some good folk on sherdog who really know their MMA but the site is just covered in idiots who I cant help but wonder why they even watch the sport.

The american audience are under the impression that Dana is giving Bisping an easy ride,to some extent I can agree, they have an investment that they are trying to keep, but that’s not to say that they have not given bisping some difficult fights they just seemed to give him easier ones when he gets to the UK.

Bisping will have to fight the winner of the franklin Hendo fight both of whom will show where bisping stands in the middleweight division.

Bisping did say at the end of the fight that his plan was to win by decision, in all fairness to him it was a smart plan, the one thing that Bisping really lacks is knock out power I think him and his team knew they wouldn’t be able to knock out 'iron chinned' leban, staying on the outside and out striking him was the way to go ( although I would go far to say that Bisping has a better ground game and should have at least given a thought to tapping Leban out, or at least putting him in a positon to cause a stoppage )

Im really hoping that we have some good guys representing England in the next TUF, it could go a long way in changing the minds of some american MMA fans…….and hopefully that teeth myth will be put to rest aswel :D

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, trash talking seems to be getting more and more the norm for the UFC. I find it to be a big turn off for me. I'm an old fashioned kind of guy that believes in sport fighting there should be a bit more "good sportsmanship" and there's no place for trash talking in that. Ah, well, it's the spectacle of the thing that fills the seats for folks that don't understand the martial arts in general and MMA specifically so I suppose we'll continue to hear it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, trash talking seems to be getting more and more the norm for the UFC. I find it to be a big turn off for me. I'm an old fashioned kind of guy that believes in sport fighting there should be a bit more "good sportsmanship" and there's no place for trash talking in that. Ah, well, it's the spectacle of the thing that fills the seats for folks that don't understand the martial arts in general and MMA specifically so I suppose we'll continue to hear it.

I agree, the problem with trash talking is that it will attract people to buy tickets but when they get there it doesn't prove to be what they were expecting and you tend to get trouble in the crowd then. the other problem of course with trash talking is if you lose and end up looking very stupid lol!
There's still some misconceptions about MMA that need to be dispelled, it's a game of physical chess not a 'last man standing' thing. Something I think TMA people should appreciate perhaps, the art of fighting using your head as in brains not your head as in head butt! if you know you can't knock your opponent out you use whatever tactics you can to win. That's as much a part of MMA as kicking, punching and groundwork. It's about 'clever' fighting not brawling.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats that? trolling on sherdog? never :D itrs actually a shame since there are some good folk on sherdog who really know their MMA but the site is just covered in idiots who I cant help but wonder why they even watch the sport.

The american audience are under the impression that Dana is giving Bisping an easy ride,to some extent I can agree, they have an investment that they are trying to keep, but that’s not to say that they have not given bisping some difficult fights they just seemed to give him easier ones when he gets to the UK.

Bisping will have to fight the winner of the franklin Hendo fight both of whom will show where bisping stands in the middleweight division.

Bisping did say at the end of the fight that his plan was to win by decision, in all fairness to him it was a smart plan, the one thing that Bisping really lacks is knock out power I think him and his team knew they wouldn’t be able to knock out 'iron chinned' leban, staying on the outside and out striking him was the way to go ( although I would go far to say that Bisping has a better ground game and should have at least given a thought to tapping Leban out, or at least putting him in a positon to cause a stoppage )

Im really hoping that we have some good guys representing England in the next TUF, it could go a long way in changing the minds of some american MMA fans…….and hopefully that teeth myth will be put to rest aswel :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegrap...=1138275681&bclid=1365762219&bctid=1871011299

The first guy, Mark, being interviewed I hope gets through. I watched his first amateur and his first semi pro fights, on the same night! Following that he's fought on our shows as I thought he was entertaining as well as a good fighter and has the personality I think the tv guys will want. He's very funny as well as being confident in front of the cameras. He's been on a couple of game shows here lol. He's brave both in the ring and at his job as a firefighter. Fingers crossed!

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
10-19-2008 09:39 AM:Michael Bisping defeated Chris Leben via decision, Keith Jardine took a split-decision over Brandon Vera, Luiz Cane defeated Rameau Sokoudjou, and more as the UFC went to London.

More...
MMA Ring Report
The hardest hitting news from the hardest hitting sport.
WHOO HOO BISPING WON! i love Bisping and i hate Leben that was an awesome fight. I also LOVED marcus "the irish hand grenade" davis' fight. Freakin awesome.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHOO HOO BISPING WON! i love Bisping and i hate Leben that was an awesome fight. I also LOVED marcus "the irish hand grenade" davis' fight. Freakin awesome.

http://www.wolfslairmma.co.uk/Mike_Bisping.html
As I never get tired of pointing out Bispings first fight against Steve Mathews ( one of our fighters) was on our show rofl!
This site is Wolfslair where Mikey trains, he posts on the forum as 'The Count'.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG thank you! I'm freakin in love with Bisping er I mean as a fighter of course...:fanboy: lol!

LOL! think you better have this link as well then! You can contact him and leave a message too. Tell him Irene/Tez from Pride & Glory told you about site and I was going to speak to him at M1 but Ian F sidetracked me lol!

http://www.bisping.tv/

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL! think you better have this link as well then! You can contact him and leave a message too. Tell him Irene/Tez from Pride & Glory told you about site and I was going to speak to him at M1 but Ian F sidetracked me lol!

http://www.bisping.tv/
OMG Thank you, you are the best Tez. :bow:

Latest Discussions