UFC 70 - Live on Spike?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the most-stacked UFC fight cards in recent UFC history could appear on Spike TV — not HBO and not pay-per-view — according to a report from Wrestling Observer. UFC 70, which takes places April 21 in Manchester, England, and features an international cast of MMA superstars, could find its way to free TV since negotiations with HBO have seemed to go nowhere.

Reported Dave Meltzer:

"Dana White said that regarding the broadcast of UFC 70 on 4/21 from Manchester, England into the U.S., that nothing is finalized right now, but it will most likely be on Spike and not HBO."

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/03/09/report-ufc-70-most-likely-to-appear-on-spike-tv/

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know how the numbers ($$$) would all wash out for the short term, but it seems like a non-PPV major event may help elevate UFC further and maybe improve profitability for the long term.

What may be even better for the long term is to have that type of exposure on ABC, NBC, CBS, or FOX, or maybe even ESPN. Do you see that happening anytime soon?

I appreciate the ISKA and occasional San Shou on ESPN, but they are always the same fights from 2002 over and over again.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! That would be awesome.
icon14.gif

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
the flip side of that is we got all UFC PPV free over here in england due to the ufc's deal with Bravo TV....and it looks like we might have to pay for this one.

To be honest it would be a bit of a bad move since the UFC have deliberatly placed UFC 70 on the same night as Bob Saps Cage Rage debut....cage rage is also Free for sky viewers.

If i have to pay though I just might.