UFC 106 interview: Johnson wants wins now can wait for riches

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-19-2009 08:05 PM:

Anthony Johnson has the gift of gab. He can trash talk with the best of them but he doesn't come across as a jerk. Even better he doesn't mind on the receiving end of criticism. The 25-year-old welterweight was skewered by fans and media at UFC 104 last month when he missed weight by six pounds. Johnson went on to destroy Yoshiyuki Yoshida in the fight with a 41 second knockout but knew enough to step up in the cage to apologize for not fulfilling all his job duties."I didn't have to apologize. I chose to aplogize. The fans desevred it. The UFC deserved it," Johnson told Cagewriter.

Aside from not being able to fully enjoy a big win, Johnson also lost a chance at a $60,000 bonus for Knockout of the Night.

"I didn't deserve it. I didn't make the weight."

Pat Barry was beneficiary of Johnson's mistake. The heavyweight got the KO of the Night and Fight of the Night bonuses. It turned out Barry desperately needed the 120k. He had zero money in his pocket the week of the fight and was weeks away from being evicted from his apartment.

"He deserved it more than I did because I heard his story, and I was just like ' take it dude.' My hat goes off to Pat Barry. I'm glad that he got that bonus. Me? I'll get bonuses some other time. When the time is right, I'll get a bonus. He needed it so the time was right for him."

Now Johnson isn't Mr. Nice Guy all the time especially when it comes time to step into the Octagon. Johnson (8-2, 5-2 UFC) has been given a huge opportunity to take out a top five UFC welterweight in Josh Koscheck. That could mean a quick shot at the UFC 170-pound champion Georges St. Pierre. This is one of those classic style matchups. Koscheck, a great collegiate wrestler, could probably get Johnson to the ground and grind out a decision win but he also likes striking. No one has been able to strike with Johnson in his seven UFC fights. He's got four first round knockouts and is huge for the weight class.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions