Tyson/Lewis

OP
K

kenposcum

Tyson started to go nuts after his original trainer and mentor---the man who "recruited" him off the streets---Cus D'Amato died. That was when we began to hear Iron Mike say things like "I was trying to punch his nose through the back of his brain!" He got very tied up in his celebrity....and then the famous interview with Robin Givens and Barbra Walters where Mike sat quietly while Ms. Givens tore into Mike ("It's like being married to an animal," as if she didn't marry him to try to start her pathetic, talentless career). Then Mike went nuts...and lost the head-weaving style that made him so formidable, and became merely a hard-punching "catcher."
And Mike could whup just about any MMA competitor, grappling experience or no. Why? Think about it. Any halfway competent puncher is far more likely to try the prize ring rather than MMA competition, simply because the top MMA guys get about the same $$$ as a subpar or even poor pro boxer. It's all about the dollars, ladies and gentlemen. When the MMA guys start getting purses in the millions, then maybe we'll see some DECENT boxers stepping into the hexagon(or whatever). Okay? :asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

The fight itself was a porr fight at best with both fighters being shamful to watch as far as boxing goes. Tyson being unable to put anything together and Lewis being unable to finish Tyson in the 6th.

It was only exciting on political grounds.

Now the Klitch/Mercer fight the other day WAS exciting. Klitch showed some great footwork and Mercer, who really has a hard chin and was one of the few guys who took it Lewis, really threw some thunder despite his age. While Mercer said Lewis hits harder he stated that Lewis doesn't have the speed and movement that Klitch has.

With Kitch having close to the same size Lewis does this should prove to be interesting. Previously I had thought only Mercer, despite his age, would be a test for Lewis but perhaps this newcomer Wlad might be the new power.

I just hope his handlers don't let him wait until Lewis retires and inherit the belt.

Latest Discussions