Type O Negative frontman Peter Steele dead (Not a hoax)

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...pe-o-negative-singer-peter-steele-dead-at-48/

Peter Steele, the deep-voiced singer, songwriter and bassist for Brooklyn’s goth-metal outfit Type O Negative, has passed away at the age of 48. In an e-mail to CBS News, the band’s manager Mike Renault confirmed Steele’s death, writing “Peter passed away last night. As of now it appears to have been heart failure. That’s all the details we have right now.” Steele was rumored to have been ill in the days leading up to his death, Blabbermouth reports.

May you find the peace in death that always seemed to elude you in life. Metal will never be the same without you, but it's better for having had you. "Rust In Peace". :(

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy,

I was surprised with this as he had a hoax in 2005 of hsi death as well.

I really did like the band. What was funny was the local rock jocks thought they were in the know, years ago and I would call and request them to play some Type O Negative. Most did not know about the group. And the few who did some research to my requests said they would not play that band on their station. A couple of years ago the band was at a local gig and the Rock Jocks went and were talking about them like they had discovered them alone. When I had been listening to them for years on XM.

I do hope he finds his peace.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was really saddened to hear the news. He dated a friend of mine for a while and I got to know him quite well over the course of many Saturdays at the bar. RIP Pete.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember Peter from the Repulsion days , not that I was a fan, but Type O Negative was a good band. I also rememeber seeing him on Jerry Springer years ago it was hilarious.

RIP

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never cared for Type O's music; but, that doesn't lessen the respect I had for the band. Their influence was felt throughout the rock world.

RIP

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I made my way into the goth scene a little later than most of my friends but Type O Negative was right there from the moment I entered. I remember the DJs playing Black No. One at the old Vertex in Rochester. A few of my female friends were quite obessed with Peter Steele. A loss, to be sure, and I bet there was more music to be made by the man.

RIP Mr. Steele

Andrew

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK before it is forgotten I will talk about his real musical accomplishment and not his retirement band, Type O started out good but he sold out into Proto Goth land to pick up the weirdo market.

His real accomplishment was a band called Carnavore who were WAY ahead of their time sound wise.

They had a sound in the early 80sthat would be used to death by every laime Nu Metal band of the 90s. Every one of those little dirted up Frat bands owes their sound to Petrus Steele (Real name his parents were Russian Immagrants.

He mixed hard core off color humour with some real social messages totally overlooked by those who could not see past a song title.

The song "Race War" at first seems a celebration of racisim but as the song goes on he points out the stupidity of hate for hate's sake.
After 9-11 I played the song "USA for USA" by them for a SF vet friend, he loved the song. "This be a good tune for someone to listen to on their way to the chopper for a night of payback.

Awesome guitar tone, great hard riven riffs and also some very good melodic interludes and breaks that forshadowed some of the cooler things he did with Type O.

Remeber kids CARNAVORE! NYC Thrash at it's best.

Latest Discussions