TRUCKS - Gas or Diesel

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a Ram 2500 long bed.......trying to decide on Diesel vs Gas. I'm towing 2-3 horses, mostly short distance, but some long distance. Initially living in Ohio, but will be moving all over. Any suggestions which?

I've heard plenty about how much everyone loves Diesel, just never heard anything about the Gas version.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The gasoline engine is often quieter than the diesel plus gasoline is easier to find than diesel. Diesel isn't necessarily scare but not all gas stations have it and some municipalities pass ordinaces as to whether diesel can be sold in their town or not.

Towing horses doesn't sound like something you need to do every day (correct)? You may find the gasoline engine to be more practical overall.

I'm not a truck expert though...

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
*The Dodge Ram diesel is a strong engine.
*The Dodge trucks have been having front end problems.
*The noise level of the Dodge diesel is very high.
*Diesel fuel costs more then gas.
*The new fully computerized gas engine and transmission combinations offer high horse power and good fuel milage.
If you are not going work a diesel on a regular basis then the gas engine is your best buy.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do modern day diesel engines handle being parked over a night or two in the cold? Do they still need glow plugs?

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My biggest concern with a Diesel is that fact that I will be doing a lot of short distance driving and hauling. Very little long distance and normally not much weight - which was the primary reasoning behind the gas engine. Plus......It's a Hemi.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no direct experience with this particular diesel...but I know that 1998 Kia's still used glow plugs. Glow plugs that took a LONG time to warm up.

Another Dodge owner told me that if it is too cold, he'll leave his Diesel idling. I know that diesels are designed for that and it uses very little gas, but I don't think I'm comfortable with just sitting the truck outside my apartment with it idling.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no direct experience with this particular diesel...but I know that 1998 Kia's still used glow plugs. Glow plugs that took a LONG time to warm up.

Another Dodge owner told me that if it is too cold, he'll leave his Diesel idling. I know that diesels are designed for that and it uses very little gas, but I don't think I'm comfortable with just sitting the truck outside my apartment with it idling.

Your neighbors wouldn't want your truck out their idling all night either. They aren't quiet engines as a rule.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
During very cold weather a diesel still needs,
* a fuel that has an anti gel additive in it.
* some of the modern diesels still need a glow plug or have to be plugged in.
You also have to consider if the diesel you are buying is a true diesel or a conversion. A true diesel does have a high milage life. They are a very rugged engine. For heavy professional use they are the way to go.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There have been a couple of key points brought up here that should really be the key to which engine you buy. Are you gonna work the dog crap out of the engine on a REGULAR basis? Go with the diesel in that case. Are you gonna be pulling a heavy load long distances often enough to make it a regular thing? Go with the diesel. Do you have any mechanical knowledge or will maintainance and repair have to be done by a mechanic? Diesel engines are a whole other world and get real expensive to work on.

The availability of fuel shouldn't really be a problem as the service industry for tractor trailers has become a very extensive thing. The biggie on the diesel fuel availability would be making sure you find a truck stop with the new diesel fuel for 2007 model engines. There are still a lot of places out there that are selling the older diesel fuel.

Most, not all, larger diesel engines no longer have glow plugs. Instead they have a wire mesh that covers the air intake and heats up. When you start the engine this mesh will heat the air going into the intake and assist in starting the vehicle. Gelling is not as big a problem as some might think but it can be easily solved by either plugging the engine block in or adding an additive to the fuel.

As for the gasoline engine...when you've got a load on bring extra cash for the extra gas. While the gasoline engine is a good one I've just never been impressed with the mileage/power ratio for pulling a load. The diesel engine has a much better ability to pull a heavy load for less fuel.

OK, after all that I'll admit that I'm biased against the gas engine for haulling a load. I've been a truck driver for a dozen years and have been surprised at how much weight these things can really pull. Good luck with which ever one you get. I love the Dodge trucks. I have one here that's showing 251,000 on the odometer. I work it like a truck should be used and it still does the job.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
reading this thread i was going to type almost exactly what theletch1 said.
especially about the gas engines ability to consume lots of fuel while towing a load.
If you load up a few horses behind your cummins you wont notice nearly as much of an increase in fuel consumption (might not notice a change at all depending on the weight of your foot).
My cummins gets a little "finicky" when the temps start dropping towards 0, but it starts (keep it plugged in on the cold nights, and keep the antigel in the tank), and mines still a baby with under 200k on a '91 and in the ballpark of 20 mpg.
now if your not going to be doing so much towing to justify the extra costs of a diesel, then i say get the hemi and dont look back. they are sweet sweet sweet trucks as well. great power super duper smooth shifts, and well a hemi!

good choice on the Ram let us know what you decide

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will this truck just be for the hauling of the horses? If yes and you have another vehicle in mind for day to day then the Diesel works as others have stated.

Yet I would recommend the Gas in general (* Even though I do not work for Chrysler *), it is a nice package. I would run some economics of the situation as well.

How much extra will it cost for the Diesel Engine?

Factor this cost ocer the life of the loan with interest rate applied.

Look at the cost of Diesel versus Gasoline and look at the delta on the fuel economy. Once you know how many more miles per gallon you get on average with the diesel you can multiple by the cost delta per gallom to get cost per mile. This will tell you many miles you have to drive the vehicle to break even on the fuel cost issue. If you then look at the cost of the hardware added in over the same time frame it can get costly to buy the diesel and not use ti all the time. The more you use it the sooner the benefit of it's configuration is applied to your cost(s).

Good Luck

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is part of my concern. The truck's main purpose is to haul the horses, but it will be used for other things. It just won't be used very often to haul the horses. So when the Diesel upgrade came in at $5,500....I figured that the gas would be a better choice. Even for the extra that I'll spend on gas for the short distance hauling I'm doing, I figured the gas would be better.

I ordered the vehicle a while back and I can still change the configuration until May....I talked to a hardcore Diesel enthusiast, so he was making me question my choice of the gas engine.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is part of my concern. The truck's main purpose is to haul the horses, but it will be used for other things. It just won't be used very often to haul the horses. So when the Diesel upgrade came in at $5,500....I figured that the gas would be a better choice. Even for the extra that I'll spend on gas for the short distance hauling I'm doing, I figured the gas would be better.

I ordered the vehicle a while back and I can still change the configuration until May....I talked to a hardcore Diesel enthusiast, so he was making me question my choice of the gas engine.

Diesel should not cost more than Gas.

It does becuase there are less refineries and when one closed for a hurricane the price rose and never came down. The price can be maintained becuase the transporation fo the large trucks (* Semi's / Tractor Trailers / Etcetera *) pay for it and add it into the "Cost" of doing business. The independant owner operators get hurt the most, but if they can pass it on as a direct expense it getss added into the items they are carrying to market or to manufacturing.

Diesel's are good hard working trucks.

Diesel's are nice packages.

The economics are not there. The emissions as they get more strict will drive more and more cost into the Diesel systems and they increased fuel economy will not be realized as the initial cost will offset the benefit. The long term maintenance cost will also add into this.

Yet, if you are looking for a "work Horse" to haul your horses easily and the cost is not the issue (* not sure as some people I know with horses can have the truck sit there and only be for the hauling of horses while many use it as every day transportation as well *) then it is a really nice package.

Good Luck

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Diesel all the way. Especially if you are gettting the Cummins. The I-6 is the only one used in the 3 major makes (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) plus with a little extra money you can get more power and more MPG.

B

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Go diesel. I drive an F250 diesel and I love it. Towing is almost effortless and it has plenty of get up and go. One of my coworkers just bought a Dodge diesel and it's hard to tell the difference in performance from a gas engine. In addition, you will get a much longer life out of the diesel and lower maintenance costs. You can also expect to get 2-3 miles better mileage, depending on how you drive. All modern diesels now come with block heaters, too. A godsend in the middle of winter, even here in the frigid SF Bay Area. :)

The only thing that chaps my hide? The fact that diesel, the cheapest fuel to refine, was 10 cents cheaper than regular unleaded when I bought the truck and now, because it creates a much larger profit margin, it's often the same price, or higher than premium. :angry:

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the awesome advice!

If money were not an issue, then I would definately choose the Diesel, but I think that my fiance and I have settled on the Hemi. At the minimum, we've made ourselves feel ok about our decision....Primarily because we decided to go ahead and roll the Trailer into this purchase also - Therefore that extra $6K makes a difference.....

Thanks again! When I get home and pick up my truck, I'm sure that I'll brag about it. :)

Latest Discussions