jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this means?

jason-japanese-daito.jpg

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, I know what it means. 自-self 惠-blessing/charity/give 尊-honor/respect. Anyway thats how I read it as.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It could equally well mean one who has self-respect in a positive sense or one who has a good opinion of himself in a negative sense. Interpretation of the actual meaning behind kanji can be tricky.

OP
jasonbrinn

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It could equally well mean one who has self-respect in a positive sense or one who has a good opinion of himself in a negative sense. Interpretation of the actual meaning behind kanji can be tricky.

What would you think it meant? How would one know one way or the other?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Translating any language, even western tongues, gets very difficult without proper context.

A phrase I discussed with some bilingual Hispanophones from South America: "he is a strong supporter of law enforcement". They thought it meant "he is an unconditional supporter of the authorities". Very similar words, very similar meanings...but one sounds much darker, especially to people from a country where the line between police and military is virtually nil.

Can you provide any more context Jason? Where did you get the graphic and how do you intend to use it? Is it part of a larger text, something that could provide a sentence?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
jasonbrinn

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Translating any language, even western tongues, gets very difficult without proper context.

A phrase I discussed with some bilingual Hispanophones from South America: "he is a strong supporter of law enforcement". They thought it meant "he is an unconditional supporter of the authorities". Very similar words, very similar meanings...but one sounds much darker, especially to people from a country where the line between police and military is virtually nil.

Can you provide any more context Jason? Where did you get the graphic and how do you intend to use it? Is it part of a larger text, something that could provide a sentence?

Thank you! Actually, this is on a certificate of mine. When one reaches shodan in that system they give you a "Japanese" name and this is the one given to me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you! Actually, this is on a certificate of mine. When one reaches shodan in that system they give you a "Japanese" name and this is the one given to me.

I thought it was a name of some sort, the graphic did not contain any kana, characters of the Japanese alphabet which (among other things) identify parts of speech. My Japanese is not particularly good so take all this with a few grains of salt...this is not going to be academic.

My impression is that the person who selected the name/characters was not a native speaker. I could be wrong. Main reason why I say this is the middle character is a common first name....for women (Megumi) which means grace. It can be a name for men according to a dig through a couple dictionaries, but I think that is more archaic (but again, I'm kind of out of my league here). The other two characters do not make sense as a name, but they mean self-respect or self-esteem...although they could also mean pride and conceit.

So...let's go to the context. Someone gave you the name implying grace and self-respect and it was upon reaching a significant milestone (congratulations by the way). These are all positive, therefore I would take the interpretation of the two characters as well. To get philosophical, I don't think it would be out of bounds to consider both meanings - harbor self-respect but guard against conceit.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I asked my friend, who moved here from Japan, for a translation. I gave her no other information. She replied -

Looks like the characters were put together
to approximate the English name "Jason":

ji (self)
e (wisdom)
son (honor)

"Jieson"

OP
jasonbrinn

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I asked my friend, who moved here from Japan, for a translation. I gave her no other information. She replied -

ji (self)
e (wisdom)
son (honor)

"Jieson"

You are like the coolest person ever. This means so much to me - thank you! If there is anything I can do ever to return the favor please let me know.

Again, thank you!

Jason Brinn

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

ji (self)
e (wisdom)
son (honor)

"Jieson"
Now that is a cool thing right there..

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is cool, but to be honest not a Japanese practice. The characters used to transliterate an English name would be taken from a different alphabet (katakana). Katakana is a much simpler script...it doesn't have as much appeal to westerners looking for something creative.

OP
jasonbrinn

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is cool, but to be honest not a Japanese practice. The characters used to transliterate an English name would be taken from a different alphabet (katakana). Katakana is a much simpler script...it doesn't have as much appeal to westerners looking for something creative.

Carol - up to the shodan rank the standard katakana is used to transliterate Jason for the name on the certificates. However, once you become a blackbelt you are given a "Japanese" name that is supposed to be something personal about you and your "style" of doing things. Everyone is giving something different - I know one guy who's name means "big round way" and another that means something like "tough guy protector" and so on. It just so happens that my teacher was very creative with mine in that it is both something new and something direct.

thank you,

Jason Brinn

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol - up to the shodan rank the standard katakana is used to transliterate Jason for the name on the certificates. However, once you become a blackbelt you are given a "Japanese" name that is supposed to be something personal about you and your "style" of doing things. Everyone is giving something different - I know one guy who's name means "big round way" and another that means something like "tough guy protector" and so on. It just so happens that my teacher was very creative with mine in that it is both something new and something direct.

thank you,

Jason Brinn

Hence the importance of context when dealing with matters of translation, eh? ;) glad you found an answer, and again, congrats on your achievement.

Latest Discussions