Traditional martial art channel on TV?

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Let's start a"traditional martial-art channel" on cable and direct-TV?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you looking for people to go into business with you?

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Someone should start a "traditional martial art channel" and call it "TMAC". It would be 30 minute segments that highlight all of the major, traditional martial arts from around the world- It would focus on class instruction, sparring, competition, and advancement. First 30 minute segment would touch on brief history of said art. With this channel, many people would gain education, inspiration, and more knowledge regarding the " traditional martial arts". Would serve a larger purpose, entirely, and be very interesting to watch on TV...let me know your thoughts :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd watch it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1896855_10152013952104150_975053564_n.jpg

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Its a great idea, and you know it.

I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous idea. Do you think at all before you post things, or are you deliberately posting things to gain notoriety?
Television channels are business ventures. There are very few people that practice traditional martial arts, and even fewer who would wish to watch about them on TV. The only possible way it could happen is if you're willing to finance the entire thing out of your own pocket.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds unbelievably boring. I doubt anyone would watch it. As it is, it is hard enough to get people to watch anything except MMA. The xma and even breaking competitions are well recieve but have a comparatively small audience. A traditional event is hard to draw, nevermind a whole Channel. I don't believe that there is enough interest for it to be a financial success.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To my mind, such a channel might only have a chance if it paid for the rights to show old martial arts movies, so the ads on those movies (a very small audience?) would subsidize the instructional-historical shows or coverage of judo/karate tournaments ... which would also have a ridiculously small audience.

I doubt that the channel could broadcast UFC, as it would be competing with the UFC's channel. Mind you, rebroadcasting old fights might be an option, but the rights would still have to be paid for. UFC® FIGHT PASS™ - Watch LIVE and on-demand UFC PPV events now

It all costs money: paying for production (new shows) and rights (existing shows), for a small advertising dollar. (shrug)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your area has a public access cable channel, you could always create your own show for a reasonably low price. Of course, these days it would be easier to launch a YouTube channel and you could potentially get a significantly larger viewership. The YouTube channel could even possibly earn a little bit of money if you got enough viewers.

Starting an actual cable network devoted to TMA would be a major business venture which would require funding by investors with real money. Those investors would rightly conclude that there isn't the viewership for them to make back their money on such an enterprise.

If you disagree on that last point, don't bother trying to convince us. Put together a business plan and put it out to the people with money to make it happen.

Human Makiwara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
With UFC and other MMA brands out there you'd have plenty of filler in between your shows on traditional arts. I'd call it MATV.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous idea. Do you think at all before you post things, or are you deliberately posting things to gain notoriety?
Television channels are business ventures. There are very few people that practice traditional martial arts, and even fewer who would wish to watch about them on TV. The only possible way it could happen is if you're willing to finance the entire thing out of your own pocket.
You can do it for free on YouTube.

Human Makiwara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You could have shows with martial arts fails and BS internet crap and saturday afternoon kung fu flicks. I don't know... I might watch this channel. lol

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds unbelievably boring. I doubt anyone would watch it. As it is, it is hard enough to get people to watch anything except MMA. The xma and even breaking competitions are well recieve but have a comparatively small audience. A traditional event is hard to draw, nevermind a whole Channel. I don't believe that there is enough interest for it to be a financial success.
and i thought that Phantom Gourmet TV show sounded boring until i watched it, IF it was a TV show based the same way i would definitely watch it. get 2 experienced MAist to go to 3 or 4 different kinds of schools in the same area and interview and compare classes and rate which are best for certain subjects etc..

Latest Discussions