Toyota passes Chrysler as No. 3 seller

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love Toyotas. I bought a 96 Tacoma in 97 (it was a year old). Since then, it has gone through three batteries and many oil changes, but that is it. I have never broken down. It still drives like the day I bought it, and I have put a lot of miles on it. I have never done one repair or even changed a hose on it. I did send it in for a full check and brake job up a few months back and my mechanic told me everything was great.
By the way, my Tacoma was made here in the states. Let me clarify that, actually the transmission was made overseas and the rest was made and assembled here. That is what I read many years ago, if I am wrong, someone correct me.
I have more than gotten my money out of my little truck.

AoG

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My family has been diehard Ford for like ever.
My grandfather recently bought a Toyota, and my GF bought a Scion (Toyota).
Why?
The higher reliability, lower maintenance and high fuel efficiency just can't be beat.
When American automakers again put out a reliable, fuel efficient and safe vehicle, we'll consider switching back.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They deserve it as their product is a better one than the big 3 make.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
This isn't really a surprise, it was more a matter of when than if...wonder how long it will take for them to get to number 2...they have a better quality product and to many people a more astetically(sp?) pleasing product, even the most die hard american loving car owners are buying their cars these days...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doesn't hurt that the US manufactuers are still fixated on the big SUVs. How long will it take them to get with the program and offer more good quality, fuel effecient cars that doesn't look like the vomit of one of their bigger cars?

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My family has been diehard Ford for like ever.
My grandfather recently bought a Toyota, and my GF bought a Scion (Toyota).
Why?
The higher reliability, lower maintenance and high fuel efficiency just can't be beat.
When American automakers again put out a reliable, fuel efficient and safe vehicle, we'll consider switching back.

Did you check consumer's report for Fuel economy and warranty cost?

Also try to find their reports on vehicles they have kept over a year or two.

The US Automakers do have vehilces that get good gas mileage. Yet there is a perception, just like there was in the 70's and 80's towards the Japenese, except today it is toward the US Automakers.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
American automakers can't expect to be #1 when they insist on making steaming piles of #2.:soapbox:

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
American automakers can't expect to be #1 when they insist on making steaming piles of #2.:soapbox:

Did someone say the Pontiac Aztec? or what is also called *Bleep* Crack. ;)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you check consumer's report for Fuel economy and warranty cost?

Also try to find their reports on vehicles they have kept over a year or two.

The US Automakers do have vehilces that get good gas mileage. Yet there is a perception, just like there was in the 70's and 80's towards the Japenese, except today it is toward the US Automakers.
Read CR, did several net searches, and talked to my uncle who's been a mechanic for over 30 years. :)
(He works on those expensive European cars btw)

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read CR, did several net searches, and talked to my uncle who's been a mechanic for over 30 years. :)
(He works on those expensive European cars btw)

Talking to a local mechanic is a good idea.

Things to avoid are the one off's.

One person had a problem with a type of vehicle.

One person had one go for ever.

Look for trends and multiple sources. :)

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree completely,but the lines have blurred so much. My Nissan was made in a plant in TN. My Toyota was made here in the states (except the transmission). The new Mustang is only one third US parts, the rest are Asian. My dad's 1982 Chevy Luv was actually made in Korea (I believe it was Korea). The newest Toyotas are made 100% here in the US. There is a KIA plant coming to Georgia soon.

So what is really an American car? I say an American car is a car made in the US, regardless of what the name is on the bumper.

AoG

Latest Discussions