Tournament Sparring

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Found some tournament sparring videos from a tournament I attended last year in November . Won both the semi-finals and finals 6-5. Camera died at close to end of the finals match.

Semis:

Final:

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you allowed to punch in these tournaments

In this one yes, but punches to the head or body are worth 1 point. Kicks to the body are 2 and Kicks to the head are 3. So punching doesn't really get you any points.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In this one yes, but punches to the head or body are worth 1 point. Kicks to the body are 2 and Kicks to the head are 3. So punching doesn't really get you any points.
Yes it does it gets you a point 1 point can be the difference between winning and losing plus If you punch more you're making your opponent think more so they have to worry about punches and kicks and you can use your punches to set up you kicks otherwise it'll end up being very easy to read because you've most likely got a favourite which you'll throw and people will know what to look for especially if they watched your earlier matches. The punches aren't just useful for scoring points they can also work as set ups to your main kicks and if an opponent rushes in a punch is quicker to snap out than a kick

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes it does it gets you a point 1 point can be the difference between winning and losing plus If you punch more you're making your opponent think more so they have to worry about punches and kicks and you can use your punches to set up you kicks otherwise it'll end up being very easy to read because you've most likely got a favourite which you'll throw and people will know what to look for especially if they watched your earlier matches. The punches aren't just useful for scoring points they can also work as set ups to your main kicks and if an opponent rushes in a punch is quicker to snap out than a kick

This is very true , in this specific tournament I stayed away from punching. For one this was about 8 months ago and at that time I wasn't very comfortable in my hand's abilities. Punching more is something to this day I am still working on. Secondly I thought that since my punching was mediocre ,at best, it would be easy to counter with a kick. That being two points would put me at a disadvantage , since I am attempting to score 1 point. I honestly wasn't thinking about setting up my kicks with punches, which you are right in saying it is a better strategy. This being better because I am less predictable. As you are also right, that then and now I have a set of favorite kicks. In this specific tournament, coaching isn't allowed either, and I am sure , if it was, my instructor would tell me some of these things. But I didn't get to talk to him until the tournament was over.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is very true , in this specific tournament I stayed away from punching. For one this was about 8 months ago and at that time I wasn't very comfortable in my hand's abilities. Punching more is something to this day I am still working on. Secondly I thought that since my punching was mediocre ,at best, it would be easy to counter with a kick. That being two points would put me at a disadvantage , since I am attempting to score 1 point. I honestly wasn't thinking about setting up my kicks with punches, which you are right in saying it is a better strategy. This being better because I am less predictable. As you are also right, that then and now I have a set of favorite kicks. In this specific tournament, coaching isn't allowed either, and I am sure , if it was, my instructor would tell me some of these things. But I didn't get to talk to him until the tournament was over.
Fair enough just something to work for next time

Jujutsuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This really takes me back to my younger days as a taekwondo student. More specifically the first time I got the wind knocked out of me by a hard side kick. :p

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This really takes me back to my younger days as a taekwondo student. More specifically the first time I got the wind knocked out of me by a hard side kick. :p
I think everyone who's ever competed remembers that feeling lol

Latest Discussions