Topless Women

M

MisterMike

I thought that would get some people looking in here.

With all the controversy around the gay marriage thing due to it's "gender-based" standpoint on equality, why shouldn't the same apply for women wearing tops at the beach?

Can a person be "for" one and "against" the other?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MisterMike said:

With all the controversy around the gay marriage thing due to it's "gender-based" standpoint on equality, why shouldn't the same apply for women wearing tops at the beach?

Personally, I think if you have the body you can display it. If yo do nothave the body then be polite ;)

And yes I think you can be for one and not the other.

Topless would or could be an affront to some people, and is a public display, yet just being married does not cause an affront in public.

Now you could argue that kissing in public no matter the mix, could also be an affront, yet, the hetro kiss is much more accepted, just look at the recent Madonna and Britney hoop la.

Just my opinions :)

OP
Q

Quick Sand

Here in Ontario, it's also perfectly legal for a women to go around topless in any public place she wants.

OP
G

Gary Crawford

I love the idea of women going "topless",but "having the body" is the problem.If you give the right to the beautiful,you also give the right to the ugly.I have enough imagination(with the revieling styles these days)that I don't need to see them topless,I know exactly what they have.Anyone who has ever visited a "nude" beach knows exactly what I mean.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
I love the idea of women going "topless",but "having the body" is the problem.If you give the right to the beautiful,you also give the right to the ugly.I have enough imagination(with the revieling styles these days)that I don't need to see them topless,I know exactly what they have.Anyone who has ever visited a "nude" beach knows exactly what I mean.
Nude beaches are mostly old men just hanging out on the beach :barf:

OH did I say that out loud ;)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Nude beaches are mostly old men just hanging out on the beach :barf:

OH did I say that out loud ;)

Now that was discriminatory. There might be old men on this forum who hang out at nude beaches. You are going to hurt their feelings...

Also, Ontario, sounds kind of like heaven....oh wait a minute that is how I always end up in the 2nd level of Hell...

OP
G

Gary Crawford

Nude beaches are mostly old men just hanging out on the beach

That's exactly what I mean,you allow people to expose themselves and you never see what you want to see.If you want to see some healthy looking breasts,go to a strip bar.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Now that was discriminatory. There might be old men on this forum who hang out at nude beaches. You are going to hurt their feelings...

Also, Ontario, sounds kind of like heaven....oh wait a minute that is how I always end up in the 2nd level of Hell...
I support their right to do it , I just do not prefer it ;)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
What exactly are you asking ... if married lesbians can go to the beach?

This is an awfully big non-sequiture.

What rights do you think are being denied to a woman on those public beaches that require women to cover their breasts?

What harm do you think women who are not free to sun-bathe topless suffer compared to those who choose to sun-bathe with their tops covered? Outside of the increased risk for cancer.

Come On' MisterMike. I have seen very thoughtful posts from you. Why are you disengaging your brain on this issue?

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:

Well, in this part of New York State, they don't call it the Canadian Ballet for nothing. I get in so much trouble whenever I go to Toronto for my son's hockey tournaments.... maybe it is the grass is greener syndrome but all the wait staff (girls in my case) are gorgeous.

OP
Q

Quick Sand

I said it was perfectly legal. I didn't say many people acutally do it. I've been living here for four years and I still haven't seen a woman walking around without a top on. It only became legal sometime around '97 (can't remember exactly what year) and most of the people I know who have lived here their entire lives have only ever seen one or two women do it. It's very, very rare.

That being said, one of my friends was working the pick up window at a fast food restaurant and an OLD lady on a motorcycle came through topless. :eek: On a beach is one thing but a motorcycle !!!!! What about bugs and rocks popping up off the road and stuff???? :idunno: Ouch. No thanks.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
When I went out to dinner last night..... We had a Topless Waitress..........

NO BRAIN at all!!!!!!!!

%-}
Yes, I have had this type of service before :D

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
taking it back to a more serious response, I don't really see the correlation between topless laws and legalized same sex marriages but I applaud the idea of analogy.

Here's one for ya'll:

With all the 'boob banter' going on here:

If you could hear a table of people talking like this in a restaraunt (family type not a hooters or what ever), would you think it was appropriate or offensive? What if it was a table of homosexuals having a similar discussion about the object of their obsession/sexual preference?

I guess my point is that gender has nothing to do with classy behavior. I get a seriously bruised shoulder in Toronto from my future wife because, until I acclimatize, my head is on a swivel. The same could be true of a gay married couple. I really have a problem with the assumption that gay means 'dirty' 'kinky' or 'perverse'. I would say it isn't for me, but I can imagine that there are some pretty prudish homosexuals out there, just like there are in the hetero world.

Public displays of affection was mentioned somewhere so I don't know if that would fall into the same category as POA's, but I think both, for hetero observing/hearing homo, might create discomfort or out right hostility.

OP
M

MisterMike

michaeledward said:
What exactly are you asking ... if married lesbians can go to the beach?

This is an awfully big non-sequiture.

What rights do you think are being denied to a woman on those public beaches that require women to cover their breasts?

What harm do you think women who are not free to sun-bathe topless suffer compared to those who choose to sun-bathe with their tops covered? Outside of the increased risk for cancer.

Come On' MisterMike. I have seen very thoughtful posts from you. Why are you disengaging your brain on this issue?

Mike

I'm just comparing 2 policies that are based on gender.

Men can only marry women/Women can only marry men.
Women can not go topless/Men can go topless.

The hypocracy:
Why is that sexual preference when it comes to state marriage is abhorred but yet no one cares that we have rules for women that men do not have to follow?

1st school of thought:
Is it because what we have been taught is proper and descent is holding out over blind interpretation of the law? Should it not be the same that marriage is reserved for a man and a woman? In some countries women cannot show their hair or faces. Here at least we allow swimsuits in the summer.

If homosexuals feel their rights are infringed because they do not have access to the same things as same-sex couples, then they should work on repealing those obstacles. Just as women who want to go topless should petition to go topless if they want, not force men to wear bikini tops too.

2nd school of thought:
If we are to honor everything so it is equal with regards to race, sexuality, gender, etc, then everything written against one of those items should be re-worked or pulled from the books. So we allow gays to be state married and allow women to go topless because both policies are based on gender or sexuality.

My mind is quite engaged on this. It seems some justify one over the other.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If a woman really wants to go topless than they should. How many really want to enough to put up a fight over it. THere is a differnce in the two things though going topless and gay marrigige are very differnt. Those to are kind of similar.You could also say that Hitler and Jesus are similar. They both made giant impacts on Jews in their days. Both the comparisons are flawed as is my comparison between the comparisions. My point is though that it is very differnt to say that women going topless and gay marrige are similar is not true. Going topless would be a choice something you could do for a while and change freely. Gay marrige would be longer lasting.
that said I doubt it makes much sense so I'll say yeah theres a differnce I just can't quite show it well enough probably.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Going topless would be a choice something you could do for a while and change freely. Gay marrige would be longer lasting."

There is a hint of an idea that topless is a conscious choice and gay is not a choice, but a genetic thing. Is that the premise you are working from?

I understand what you are saying if that is the point, but I think the focus of the comparison between the topless and the gay marriage issues is in social perception and legislation and not the individual behavior/choice issue.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Well, There are some downsides to going topless. First off, most guys are going to go nuts when they see boobs. I think it's a dumb idea to go topless. Its better to wear the shirt or clothes over top of the breasts due to the fact that it arouses rape and such. Yeah, its the guy's fault for not controlling himself, but also it helps not having the temptation there. Also, there is a reason why most states make it a law not to go topless. Yeah, you all know why, but it's the law. It's like saying its stupid to not smoke until your 18+, but its the law. I mean, it's crazy. And no I don't smoke.

In Florida, it's illegal to not cover the breasts, particularly the nipples. The thing that gets me and so many others though is this: A girl can paint her nipples, completely cover them in paint, or paint her breasts and such and they call that a covering, as long as the nipples are covered so that the skin color is covered, even clear nail polish. I mean, it's like the wet t-shirt contests. You can see everything and it's basically the same thing. But the police can't get you because it is a covering. LOL. I mean it's the stupidest thing, but it's legal. Amazing how liberty made things so legit.

Latest Discussions