Tomato bliss

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Last night I picked and ate the first tomato of the season. I've got to say, it was frickin' delicious! It is an heirloom variety called "Pineapple". 12 oz, golden, marbled with red. Gorgeous and juicy. I believe I have finally stumbled upon the perfect tomato.

You may have forgotten how tomatoes are suppposed to taste after years of eating those mealy, flavorless baseballs they sell at the grocery store.

Folks, you can buy tomatoes in every supermarket(sometimes even fancier varieties, for an obscene price), but I'm telling you, growing your own heirloom tomatoes is the only way to know their real flavor.

I eat my 'maters fresh, diced up in a salad or sliced and layered with mozarella and basil leaves.

How are y'all enjoying the harvest season?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks, you can buy tomatoes in every supermarket(sometimes even fancier varieties, for an obscene price), but I'm telling you, growing your own heirloom tomatoes is the only way to know their real flavor.

I eat my 'maters fresh, diced up in a salad or sliced and layered with mozarella and basil leaves

The only thing I can grow is aggravated, a green thumb I aint got..So I take a ride out to the farm country here and buy them by the bag full..Fresh "maters" is GOOD eatin...

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night I picked and ate the first tomato of the season. I've got to say, it was frickin' delicious! It is an heirloom variety called "Pineapple". 12 oz, golden, marbled with red. Gorgeous and juicy. I believe I have finally stumbled upon the perfect tomato.

You may have forgotten how tomatoes are suppposed to taste after years of eating those mealy, flavorless baseballs they sell at the grocery store.

I eat my 'maters fresh, diced up in a salad or sliced and layered with mozarella and basil leaves.

How are y'all enjoying the harvest season?

I hear ya. I have been growing tomatoes in my townhouse using self-watering pots for two years now...They are excellent....and I have one or two that are only a couple of days away from mastication.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
some months back we harvested wild garlic to make into pesto etc..
just the other day we went to look for wild plums to make jam, but the tree was gone-sad really-fortunately can still enjoy some from last year.
we did make plenty of apricot jam. sadly we missed the wild cherry harvest time. and the violets -
this has nothing really to do with harvesting, but ive also been having a great time making kimchi recently-

i did harvest some other house plants recently.. most excellent! dunno if it was worth the hassel though. 2 plants only

still planning on looking in other places for the wild plums-undoubtedly the best jam- and im not really much of a jam fan myself
in around 2 weeks the nuts will be ready.

j

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't plant enough snap peas (I'll know better next year) but they were great while they lasted. The beans are about to start - the vines are all over and covered in flowers. The tomatoes are just about there - another week, maybe, and I'll be starting to pick a lovely bumper crop! The bell peppers never really grew; it I think it's been too hot - they're still there, but the plants are very small; I'll have to plant sooner next year, but I am getting a couple of bells and some hot peppers. The squash is flowering, but so far, no fruit :(. The lettuce went nuts and is bolting, and it's just about raspberry season.... mmm.... raspberries... :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to plant, haven't had time the last few years, but I hit the farmers markets regularly for real tomatoes.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I used to plant, haven't had time the last few years, but I hit the farmers markets regularly for real tomatoes.

Well at least you do have access:)

Seriously though, when you go shopping, ask them for Pineapple 'maters. If they don't have them this season, maybe they'll plant a few for ya next year.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't plant enough snap peas (I'll know better next year) but they were great while they lasted. :)

I always forget how much I love those. Next year I plan on devoting twice the space to snap peas and beans. They're two of the few green vegetables my kids eat without complaint.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
still planning on looking in other places for the wild plums-undoubtedly the best jam- and im not really much of a jam fan myself
in around 2 weeks the nuts will be ready.

j

the wild stuff is the most fun to make into jam. There's something adventurous about the process. Often the trees will be in plain sight and nobody else seems to realize that the fruit is there for the taking.

People still don't believe me when I tell them I harvest my poms wild for the jelly. They grow right alongside the railroad tracks for a mile.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well at least you do have access:)

Seriously though, when you go shopping, ask them for Pineapple 'maters. If they don't have them this season, maybe they'll plant a few for ya next year.
I've never heard of that variety around here, but I'll look. I'm partial to Ponderosa Pink's myself. Only 1 greenhouse here even carries the plants.

Latest Discussions