Tom Toy "springing Leg"

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone practice the 10 set Tom Toy form? If so what advice could you share with me. This is my first form in a potential new school. I come from a kenpo background.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The 10 set is usually referred to as the "Muslim" set and features more high kicking techniques than does the 12 set "Buddhist" version. Advice- stretch and work on your stances.:asian:

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

R

RCastillo

The Buddhist version, but still continue to work on those stances. I enjoy the form myself, as it 's in the Tracy System. good luck with your work!:asian:

OP
don bohrer

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yili,
As far as I know it's only been called Tom Toy, but I've only been training there for a week now.

Randy,
The instructor has indeed said this was a muslim form. Although I am unsure what the differences are between 10, 12 etc...

RCastillo,
We came out of the Tracy system when we were TRACO. However this Kata is not currently part of AKKA. I like the kata, but am told I must practice with no power or effort. Kinda hard since I am not used to this.

F

Furious George

For what it's worth:

Sifu Daniel K. Lee's website http://www.leesshaolinkungfu.com/ lists a 7* Mantis empty-hand set called Tan Tui (Mandarin) or Taam Tuui (Cantonese) and translates it as "Tan's Legs". This is one of the 36 empty-hand sets listed by Huang Han Xian / Wong Hon Fun (the HK Mantis King)

I'll try to remember to ask my Sifu about it...

G

Gwailao

i know in wah lum northern mantis they have tam tui, very low stances and such. not too familar with it myself though.

J

Jill666

I tried a search on Tom Toy and got a link to www.shaolininstitute.com/tom_toy

The page had an explanation of the forms- interesting. I had never heard of them before.

Now I wonder if Tom Toy and Tan Tui are the same...

Anyone?

I would like to see this also if anyone finds a video link.

G

Gwailao

would think so, just different romanizations of the same chinese term, like ving tsun and wing chun. of taiji and tai chi

G

Gwailao

hmmmm maybe... but its all pinyin anyway, its the actually the way your pronounce it that makes the diff, not the latin based spelling. i think its just a variation. they dont sound that diff being spelled those to ways.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
Now I wonder if Tom Toy and Tan Tui are the same...
Anyone?
I would like to see this also if anyone finds a video link.
Yep, they're the same form. It's that Chinese-English translation problem again. The 10 form and the 12 form start out the same, but diverge as the passes progress. Generally, the 10 form features moves which are more athletic and require more flexability, but it's clear that both forms are related. As to which form came first, that depends on which reference you consult, but the majority I've found point to the 10 form being the original.
I couldn't find any streaming video, but www.wle.com sells a video of the 12 form. It's also presented on the Tracy's System K-22 tape (second version).
Hope this helps.

Randy Strausbaugh

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
Yep, they're the same form. It's that Chinese-English translation problem again. The 10 form and the 12 form start out the same, but diverge as the passes progress. Generally, the 10 form features moves which are more athletic and require more flexability, but it's clear that both forms are related. As to which form came first, that depends on which reference you consult, but the majority I've found point to the 10 form being the original.
I couldn't find any streaming video, but www.wle.com sells a video of the 12 form. It's also presented on the Tracy's System K-22 tape (second version).
Hope this helps.

Randy Strausbaugh

I just remembered, there were two different final sections for that form as well! The one on the tape, and then Master Tracy showed us a different one, that he wanted to see implemented.:asian:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
I just remembered, there were two different final sections for that form as well! The one on the tape, and then Master Tracy showed us a different one, that he wanted to see implemented.:asian:
Thanks for the heads-up. Do you know if he intends to put the new version out on video or just re-film that section of the old one? :asian:

Randy Strausbaugh

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
Thanks for the heads-up. Do you know if he intends to put the new version out on video or just re-film that section of the old one? :asian:

Randy Strausbaugh

To my knowledge, neither!:asian:

J

Jill666

Thanks-

Easy to navigate site with tons of products! The vid I saw there contains the muslim version. Interesting.

:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A little late on this thread, but I love the Tam Tui set. Now , the "Spring Leg Routine" and actually doing a Tam Tui is quite different, and I have to say, I do not enjoy practicing tam tuis alone.

7sm

Latest Discussions