To Attack, or not Attack?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
had I been in this kind of situation, personally, I would've slammed my knee up into the guy's groin, as long as he didn't have any friends with him. For me to take any action more lethal than that, he would have to touch me first, so I can guarantee that the law would be on my side.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As Dan said, you can defend yourself before you are struck. However it is not based on a feeling, but on the belief that immenent physical harm is happening, or about to happen to you. Nightingale could pretty much have done what ever she wanted, short of killing him, and gotten away with it ... especially with all those witnesses. The amount of violence used to defend yourself is usually carefully looked at, as is the "perceived threat." A 6' 4" 230 lbs guy cannot trash a 5' 6" guy over a shove in a bar, and get away with it legally. There are exceptions to this of course, what if he had a weapon, what if he was a she, what if he had friends with him, what if, what if, what if. A little common sense here is what we need.

Most states also have a "duty to flee", but in this case your escape route was limited. Reasonable force is the doctrine defined by the law in regulating or judging the amount of force you can use to defend yourself. Although martial artists hands are not "registered" weapons, they can be lethal due to the training we receive. This does not preclude someone else from being equally lethal with no training ... stuff happens. If you are certain you are being attacked from, whatever cues you pick up, I would not risk being hit ... but I probably would not chop him in the throat unless he had friends coming or was armed. It is likely that he would die from this particular response, and I would be liable civilly if not legally. Conundrum.

Trust your instincts, consider the options in advance, role play in your schools.

Remember the more skills you have - the greater the range of response patterns you have available if needed.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

B

brianhunter

well said....Mr. Billings have you had some LE experiance????/

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
all my actions in self defense......!!!!!

If I were not attacked or provoked in some why then I do nothing......
I repeat........
"But should I be forced to defend MYSELF, my PRINCIPLES, or my HONOR, Should It be a matter of Life or death.... of right or wrong...."

Damn ....... wish I would have thought of that!!
It about covers it.

:asian:

OP
Zoran

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I repeat........
"But should I be forced to defend MYSELF, my PRINCIPLES, or my HONOR, Should It be a matter of Life or death.... of right or wrong...."

This is what I was waiting for!!! As I said in the beginning of my post.

So, my question to everybody is, when should it be justified to "pull the trigger". Is self defense only to include protecting your self, and your loved ones, from physical harm? Do we have to wait until the physical attack is made, or is a threat enough? What about honor? I know what the law says, I want to know what you say.

Now as I said, forget the law for now. I started a new thread on that already. Now no one is going to attack me over the head with a "princple". So when is it okay to pull the trigger.

To make a real life example; a few years back, a male individual decided to steal a very large some of money from a female friend. After checking around, I found out that this person was a scam artist and had done this to many woman. This completely went against my principles!! The law could do nothing due to lack of evidence. So I visited this person and "convinced" him of how my idea of returning the money was the right thing to do.

Legally, I was in the wrong. I didn't care and still don't. What I defended was my view of right or wrong.
:soapbox:

Thanks GD7, I've posted this in several places and you are the first to take it to where I was hoping someone would go. I was beginning to feel like a dinasour.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but (as my friend Popeye) would say...... Alls I's can says is I feels likes I feels........ Ah ka kakakakakakaaaaaakaaaaaalkaaaaaa

Don't worry Zoranasaurus...... there are still a few Conasaurus Rex's and if you watch carefully.... you'll see a LaBrontasaurus or a Kellytriceratops roaming around..... even the rare Hukalatapus, or Joe Baldasaurus is roaming around...

:asian:

OP
Zoran

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think I would rather be called a Z-Rex.:D

OP
Zoran

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Bump, just dusting off an old thread for new members.

Originally posted by Seig

A Z-Rex would be like a T-Rex with Longer arms?

Seig, thanks for the idea for my little tag line.:D