Thuggery Vs Martial arts (a youtube clip)

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Idon't know if this clip has been posted on here before but it is well worth a watch to see what happens when the average thug picks on the wrong man!

Analysing this I personally think the martial artist allowed the thug to get too close and was at risk of a nasty headbutt numerous times but it was wonderful seeing how cool he kept under the pressure. When he decided enough was enough and fought back, his targeting was perfect so he was obviously managing any adrenal dump really well. He took complete control and popped the inflated ego of his attacker like a balloon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad it all worked out for him in the end.

However, allowing someone to get up right in your face and initiate a dominance role like that is very, very, very, very dangerous. (can I say
very again
icon6.gif
)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looked as though the skinhead had his hand on the defender's neck not once, but at several points during the confrontation. I am not an expert, only a newbie, but I'd say that the defender let the skinhead get much, much too close to him starting from the very beginning of the clip. The appears to have taken place in the UK, and perhaps laws are different there. However, in the US, since the defender was on his own property, and the skinhead was clearly threatening violence, an instant response of the sort the defender eventually used would have been justified, I would have thought.

However, I heard what sounded like a bunch of people egging the skinhead on, including the person videotaping the event. Perhaps the defender felt that he would have incurred the wrath of the crowd if he fought back. It would be interesting to know the whole story.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I love seeing a bully get his *** handed to him. Kudos to that guy although personally I wouldn't have let the guy keep getting that close to me. What if they punk kid had a knife ?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have seen many instances where someone would stand like that and let someone get that close only to get themselves KTFO. It is as Brian said very dangerous to take a netural or defense stance that close in range.
Because in an instant you can get sucker punched.

The defender looks at least 40lbs heavier then the skinny guy who must be 105lbs in boots. So a good solid punch in which I think he walked into against his glass jaw did it.

Here are some youths around my area having some fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzavy70NmI&feature=related

How Miami plays football:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNypDGoC_8M&feature=related

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for him, but he waited way to long. He needed to act faster. From the video it looked like the neighbors were rooting for the skinhead. Maybe I am wrong, but it seemed that way to me.

OP
myusername

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score

The defender looks at least 40lbs heavier then the skinny guy who must be 105lbs in boots. So a good solid punch in which I think he walked into against his glass jaw did it.

Personally, I think the defender deserves a little more credit than that assessment. To me the skinhead certainly appeared very intimidating. Additionally, though I know it is hard to tell from a phone camera view, but it also appeared to me that the martial artist hit him in the carotid artery or around that area, I say this because the few strikes he threw before connecting appeared to be knife hands directed at that area. I think that he demonstrated good striking skill in a high pressured situation in full view of a crowd that seemed to be rooting for the attacker. He managed to present himself as very composed and calm through out the whole confrontation.

I totally agree with you and every one else who suggest that the guy waited far too long and left himself very vulnerable to being assaulted. I train from the fence in both jujutsu and TKD so the idea of letting somebody get that close to me and allowing them to actually grab my head would feel very wrong for me. I would like to think that I would have acted a lot sooner personally.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The law here says that most definitely the householder could have and in fact should have made the first strike. If you are in fear of your life or safety the law says its sensible to strike first. It would have been interesting to have heard the householders view on the situation.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
artist hit him in the carotid artery or around that area, I say this because the few strikes he threw before connecting appeared to be knife hands directed at that area.

I agree. But it did not look like a shuto, it looked like a haito to the carotid. Devastating to see it - notice it did not take a massively powerful (or even very fast) strike. Just open hand, haito to throat, ready stance and whammo, the guy falls over. I really think it was a carotid strike just because of the fact that it seemed to take a second AFTER the strike for the guy to fall over. My sensei would have said he 'disrupted his ki flow'.

Again, just a comment from a newbie, disregard if it sounds totally stupid.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He should have instantly dropped him the minute he entered his personal space. On a side note the guy doesn't appear to be a karate master by the way he was carrying himself, and by the way the situation was progressing until the end.

He probably should have just gone back in his house and called the coppers.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I agree. But it did not look like a shuto, it looked like a haito to the carotid. Devastating to see it - notice it did not take a massively powerful (or even very fast) strike. Just open hand, haito to throat, ready stance and whammo, the guy falls over. I really think it was a carotid strike just because of the fact that it seemed to take a second AFTER the strike for the guy to fall over. My sensei would have said he 'disrupted his ki flow'.

Again, just a comment from a newbie, disregard if it sounds totally stupid.

I'm familiar with the term "shuto"( side of hand blow) but what is a "haito"? same thing but angled as more of a thrust?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the term "shuto"( side of hand blow) but what is a "haito"? same thing but angled as more of a thrust?

Sorry, I should have explained. In isshinryu, a shuto is the outside edge of the hand, which can be used as a thrusting punch or a chop. The haito is the inside ridge of the hand, which can be used in the same manner, although it is less frequently used and the thumb must be tucked in if you don't want to break it. The striking surface for the haito is right at the base of the knuckle on the index finger, only on the side of the hand. Lower is soft tissue, higher you break your finger. But for a strike into soft tissue (like the neck) it can be quite effective. We practice thrusting with it as well as bringing it in like a reverse chop.

But it also looked like the defender had his thumbs sticking out on both hands. A throat grab? I dunno. When I leave my thumbs out like that, sensei offer to remove them for me. But it might be that he grabbed and pushed the skinhead's throat using the 'vee' of his hand. It kind of looked like it.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have explained. In isshinryu, a shuto is the outside edge of the hand, which can be used as a thrusting punch or a chop. The haito is the inside ridge of the hand, which can be used in the same manner, although it is less frequently used and the thumb must be tucked in if you don't want to break it. The striking surface for the haito is right at the base of the knuckle on the index finger, only on the side of the hand. Lower is soft tissue, higher you break your finger. But for a strike into soft tissue (like the neck) it can be quite effective. We practice thrusting with it as well as bringing it in like a reverse chop.

But it also looked like the defender had his thumbs sticking out on both hands. A throat grab? I dunno. When I leave my thumbs out like that, sensei offer to remove them for me. But it might be that he grabbed and pushed the skinhead's throat using the 'vee' of his hand. It kind of looked like it.

Yeah, maybe a dialed-down version of what I used to know as a "tiger mouth" strike.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe a dialed-down version of what I used to know as a "tiger mouth" strike.

That'd be koko uchi, the "tiger mouth strike". DOn't have an image to show the difference, but it's sort of the same striking area, but with the hand shaped differently, and the motion of delivery more in line with a thrusting motion.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That'd be koko uchi, the "tiger mouth strike". DOn't have an image to show the difference, but it's sort of the same striking area, but with the hand shaped differently, and the motion of delivery more in line with a thrusting motion.

That's the one. The particularly nasty version of it I was shown had the strike off center so that the thumb of the "V" directly impacted the trachea hollow. But I'm not such a fan of broken/jammed thumbs.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally, I think the defender deserves a little more credit than that assessment. To me the skinhead certainly appeared very intimidating. Additionally, though I know it is hard to tell from a phone camera view, but it also appeared to me that the martial artist hit him in the carotid artery or around that area, I say this because the few strikes he threw before connecting appeared to be knife hands directed at that area.
I personally do not see it as a cartoid strike and the video is so grainy that I doubt we will ever know. We can see at 2:33 the strike is hitting somewhere on the upper part of the body but from jaw to throat we can not see with guy blocking the way. Also I don't know if he is a Skinhead or not http://www.solomax.com/images/skinheads.jpg

Usually if it was true Skinhead fasion it would be 5 skins on the one guy because most Skins fight in a group and attack like that.
At least the groups I have seen.

Latest Discussions