Throwdown Question: Predators in Our Midst

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So. You visit a dojo, maybe in your own style or association, maybe just dropping into one that is in your community as a friendly visit. And you get vibes. Nothing specific, but hey, it's not your dojo and you walk away.

Or, maybe you suspect, or you hear some allusions in private conversations, about another sensei/dojo. Nothing concrete. Maybe it was old gossip rehashed, and not something one wants to dig up. Maybe, as in this case, the abuse is more of an 'open secret'.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20277

Where do you fall in the range of responsibility. At what point would you feel it was important to learn more, or do more?

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
It looks to me that on that forum, the community are doing everything they can. People are protected by various double jeopardy laws, so trying him for charges he was already acquitted of is impossible. If one of the students at my academy confided abuse with me, I would take every formal action I could, regardless of my low rank. Cops would be promptly involved, and if the abusing instructor stripped me of rank and banned me for it, well I'd consider that a WILLING payment for the knowledge that I helped a child gain protection.

OP
H

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I found the thread there thought provoking. That forum provides a place and avenue to help with self-policing within the aikido community. I suppose all forums serve that function in some way. But it made me consider, what do I consider to be the line in policing the various circles I may find myself in? I study goju. Is my business to keep an eye on other martial arts/studios in my community?

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hesitate to condemn a person so harshly and powerfully in the absence of clear evidence or at least potent circumstantial evidence about his/her/their guilt. I don't know the specifics regarding this matter,and from what I read regarding the link that was provided? The police themselves didn't feel that the case was strong enough to take to court. If other victims had been unearthed as the poster asserts,then perhaps they could all go in together on a case vs Mr.Klickstein. However,I am wholly unaware of the state in question's laws or the intricacy of the legal situation of each alleged victim and their parents,so there's much to be ferreted out.

I do think,however,that it's clearly best to NOT have this gentleman be in attendance regarding the honoring of the Aikido Sensei (Sato?) who stripped him of his rank. This,to me,is quite clear. Sato Sensei would certainly not appreciate such a thing.

Furthermore,having learned at the Hwarangdo dojo back when Eric Lee was teaching (Eric Lee was a terrific guy btw)? I strongly believe that we must be aware of predators and charlatans in our midst. There is no doubt that Taejoon (Henry) Lee is an exceptional--maybe even an extraordinary--martial artist in his own right. However,his father Joo Bang Lee trained in Hapkido not Hwarangdo,and back in the 60s used to have his sons learn Hapkido from the truly extraordinary (and oftentimes labeled "the best kicker alive") Grandmaster Sea Oh Choi (hope I have that right)...the same who taught Bruce Lee fast flashy effective kicking combos for the GREEN HORNET series. Only after breaking with him did Mr. Joo Bang Lee begin to promote his art as Hwarangdo. There are many martial arts elders who know of this and other attempts to legitimize some form of huckstering and we should police ourselves and prevent such a thing as much as possible.My Hapkido and Hung Gar Master GM CHU also speaks of this with great authority and disdain in his voice.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know about the incident linked to in the first post. First I heard of it. I did hear of an incident some 10+ years ago where a TKD/HKD school's instructor closed the doors of his school, abandoned it, and left the area suddenly due to accusations of abuse of a 16 year old female student. Again, I don't know specifics since I am not privy to any police investigation that may or may not have taken place. Point being, apparently it does get reported. It is also accepted that it is easy for people to use allegations of sexual abuse as a handy tool to cause an innocent man much trouble.

However, in my opinion, that is a matter for the police and courts to sort out. I think if a student makes such an allegation, it should be reported to the authorities at once. Just as it is "accepted" that false accusations can be made, it is just as "accepted" that abusers will try anything to hide their crime and then will continue to seek victims on which to commit that crime. Rape/sexual abuse is not a thing that real men tolerate. From my experience, women don't think highly of it either. Just as importantly, the law doesn't allow it.

As a society we don't believe it should happen, and we have those laws to use when it happens. One of the ways to prevent it from happening is to ensure it is reported to the authorities when we hear of it. Whatever you may think of police or our judicial system, it is what we have to combat all crime. That includes sexual abuse. It is also the best protection an innocent person has. How many can afford to hire investigators to clear themselves, and get the word to the media?

So to the OP's question, I don't think we as citizens, much less as MA (where other MA are being accused), have any choice but to see allegations are reported to the police. Now, if someone says they heard 3rd or 4th hand of something like that, perhaps it shouldn't be passed on to friends or reported to the police. Each person has to decide for themselves on that, or check the law in their State. At that point is it just malicious rummer or a real incident that has gone unreported to authorities? But if a student, or other under age person reports to you that they have been raped/sexually molested, I think it should be reported. It is difficult sometimes to determine if a victim is better served by being given tools to protect themselves without the public exposure, or come under the protection of courts. But the problem is, how many of us are trained to make that evaluation? If you aren't, and can't defend you actions in court and the press, I suggest you report it.

Again, I suggest people check the law in their State. Some people have a duty under the law to make reports, and can be sanctioned it they don't.

Latest Discussions