Thought about quitting…

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't quit. I'm hooked.

And despite the fact that I do dedicate a significant portion of my life to the dojo, my sensei has it worse. Until he recently graduated with his PhD in business, he was running two businesses, teaching at the dojo, a pilot and member of the CAP, and teaching graduate students at two universities. Now he has his PhD and he was asked to take over the courseload for another instructor who has a family medical emergency. He does all this and still never complains, never shirks, and always gives his best to our students. I'm amazed.

It's kind of hard to complain when I see what others are doing in order to keep training. I'm not suggesting that you guys don't have legit issues that might impact your training, just noting that I have recently taken a look at how much time I'm investing...and I'm OK with it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Priorities have a way of shifting, esp. When you have kids, need to go back to school, buy a house, start a business, etc. it's the way it is.

Eventually my son will be old enough to take part in these things, or won't need constant supervision, and I'll gain some of my time back.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Coming from a family with members who had and have serious health issues simply because they didn't exercise, is a strong motivator for me. My other motivation is watching old kung fu practitioners move with ease. Being old isn't horrible, but being old and having some of the physical difficulties that come from not being physically active (through exercise) throughout one's life, is more than enough to keep from quitting.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I can't quit. I'm hooked.

And despite the fact that I do dedicate a significant portion of my life to the dojo, my sensei has it worse. Until he recently graduated with his PhD in business, he was running two businesses, teaching at the dojo, a pilot and member of the CAP, and teaching graduate students at two universities. Now he has his PhD and he was asked to take over the courseload for another instructor who has a family medical emergency. He does all this and still never complains, never shirks, and always gives his best to our students. I'm amazed.

It's kind of hard to complain when I see what others are doing in order to keep training. I'm not suggesting that you guys don't have legit issues that might impact your training, just noting that I have recently taken a look at how much time I'm investing...and I'm OK with it.

I'm hooked too...that's the problem :)

Latest Discussions