thinking of starting karate

sendo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking karate for self-defense and discipline purposes but I have trouble finding a place nearby. Could someone possibly help me? Boston, Massachusetts (Quincy to be specific).

If there isn't a place close by then I'll probably just do muay thai.

Also, what's the difference between shotokan/seiei kan and Kyokushin?

Thanks.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Discipline is what you make of it, and Muay Thai is an excellent choice for getting good self defense skills pretty quickly.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Find the Training Hall's in your area and go check them out. Then you will have a first hand idea to base your decision on.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Brian alot of the time it is not the style but the instructor that is teaching the style.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
First off let me say, I am glad to hear of a new karate student.
Now, Kyokushinkai is was developed by Masutatsu OYama from Shotokan and Goju ryu. It is a hard style with a lot of full contact training.
Seiei Kan karate was developed by Don Madden and it comes originally from the Koei Kan style of karate do in Japan(which was developed by Eizo Onishi-still alive-) It combines both Nahate and Shurite. In later years more Shotokan,Shorin ryu,Goju ryu,Shito ryu,and even Kenpo elements were added into the Seiei kan. Simply because we have members from these many styles. You may also see Taekwondo and other korean stylist in the organization. Some Seiei kan teachers are more Shotokan,mainly because it was their base when they joined or their instructor was Shotokan when he/she joined. I can see where some might think that Seiei kan is Shotokan,many Seiei kan instructors advertise Shotokan, they are usually Shotokan people that joined the organization. I trained with the founder for seventeen years, so I am a little closer to the source.
As far as finding a karate school in your area, I will do some research for you and get back to you.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I have found there are many kenpo schools, an Uechi ryu(okinawan),and a few Taekwondo schools in that area. It is a predominately a kenpo karate area. Which may be what you want. Good luck and remember it is the man that makes the style not the style that makes the man.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I studied Uechi Ryu many years ago. Good stuff. But a lot depends on whether certain things are still being taught. Back in the day they were doing a variety of power breathing that was extremely unhealthy. In the Sanchin kata we were taught to hold our breath on the strike, then exhale on or after the retraction. Yes, it can help you armor and generate a lot of power, but it is very bad for you.

Years later when I first started Silat my teacher asked to see some of what I'd done before. I went through Sanchin. He said "Don't do that. You'll give yourself a stroke, and your guts will shoot out your ***." Some time down the line I found my old Uechi Ryu sensei and asked if they still did that sort of breathing. He said that he didn't teach it because too many practitioners were having strokes and hemmeroids :disgust:

I've been told that some teachers still instruct that way. If they do, find another school.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tim,
I knew you would be able to help alot on this. Thanks I learned something to.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Normally, I'd say that unless you have your mind dead set on continuing in a particular style, the style shouldn't be the ultimate determinant of what you want to train in, and that you should make your own decision based on what you see when you watch a class, and speak with the instructors.

I still hold true to that idea. Basically, I'm more of a traditionalist, and when I was searching for schools after I moved, I eventually found what I was looking for, even though I had never trained in the Wado system. I never had any intentions of training in this system, but that's where I ended up, simply because the material presented, and the teachers were to my liking.

The style of Kyokushin, though, does need a bit of explanation, since they are rather unique.

The Kyokushin organizations were the product of Masutatsu Oyama, and heavily emphasizes full contact sparring, no pads. The sparring is still controlled, with neither fighter punching each other in the face, and they do some kata.

Most Kyokushin schools adhere to Oyama's demands that his students behave honorably. Furthermore, the only competitions you'll generally see them partaking in, are their own.

Even though I do not train in Kyokushin Karate, I still have a healthy respect for them. They attract a certain type of people to their organization, and there's really little competitive overlap between their schools and ours. I've always found the local headmaster here, Yasuhiko Shihan, to be a pleasant fellow.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

And thanks a lot for finding this place for me! ^^ I'll check it out sometime next month.

You're very welcome! I've never been there myself but I've heard some very good things about it from a friend that owns a school in a different part of Mass. :)

Best of luck!

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are a couple more that I dug up...

[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Okinawan Karate Do
169 Beale Street, Quincy, MA 02170
(617) 786-8805
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Don't know the style (likely Shorin Ryu, Uechi Ryu or Goju Ryu) and they have no website.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Institute Of Okinawan Karate Do
28 Chestnut Street, Quincy, MA 02169
(617) 471-8919
www.iokarate.com [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Jae H Kim Tae Kwon Do Institute
1453 Hancock Street, Quincy, MA 02169
(617) 773-2000
http://www.tkd-boston.com[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]This is a TKD school, but worth a look. I started my training with GM Kim in the Boston school and can't say enough about it. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]There are others but these are local.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]As others have said, go check out each school and watch/take part in a class. Talk to the students and the instructors and make a decision based on what you see. Good luck and keep us posted as to how things turn out. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Find the Training Hall's in your area and go check them out. Then you will have a first hand idea to base your decision on.
YES!!!
YES!!!!!!
To Brother Brian you listen. (In my best Yoda voice)

GO SEE!!!
Observe. Find out things about the style, the system, the instructor, their instructor....research! But most of all, watch the advanced students closely and ask yourself:
Do I want to MOVE like that?
Do I want to have THOSE skills?
Do I want to behave like they do?
...etc.

Scrutinize.
Question.

But at some point, you've got to stop aiming and SHOOT!

Your Brother
John

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you can find a traditional Muay Thai school I would go for it. MuayThai takes great discipline and great conditioning. Self defense abilities can be gained quickly in this art.

Latest Discussions