Thinking about an iPod...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only real issue with the Ipod is the "ease" of transferring files... the process for making an Ipod file burnable to a Cd or transferrable to a different mp3 player... Ive never done it, but I have heard that its much more complicated than drag and drop.

I bought a 20 Gig RCA Lyra A/V Jukebox. Its a little large (just a bit smaller than an old sony walkman) but it plays video on a built in LCD screen AND is a pocket sized DVR for recording video. Also has expandable storage via a media card slot and functions as a 20gig (plus with the media card in it) removable harddrive via a USB 2.0 interface. I think it has an Ebook reader on it as well, but I have never used it.

More player than you need, Arni, but a cool one, nonetheless.

:D

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just want something small and simple that'll play music and other audio! But, I appreciate all suggestions. If I see an iPod Nano soon, though, I'll take it.

Has anyone here gotten one of those yet?

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found an iPod Nano today and picked it up. I'll try it when I get home!

I passed on the $60 warranty.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My father-in-law bought me an i-Pod for Christmas. It's the black 30GB video i-Pod.

This is my first Apple product. I'm trying to get some recommendations (links are good) on which accessories I would like.

I've visited the Apple web site but there are several choices. I was hoping someone had used some of the accessories.

I can tell immediately that I need a set of earphones besides the ones that came with it. I can never get those round kind to stay in my ears. I want something I could wear while at the gym or even jogging.

I would think a car adaptor would be good. I travel a lot for work.

I know the Nano had problems with screen damage. I don't think mine does. Still, a carrying case would be a necessity. This is especially true when going back to my workout issue.

Beyond that I'm not sure. Anything really cool as far as remotes, connection devices for tvs and cameras, etc. would be fine.

If anyone has any personal experiences (good or bad) or recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them. Thanx!

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have the car adaptor but don't use it much. The speakers are helpful.

We got my daughter the ZVue for Xmas, which has a video screen.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I have the car adaptor but don't use it much. The speakers are helpful.

We got my daughter the ZVue for Xmas, which has a video screen.

That's cool, Arni. My i-Pod has a video screen too, which makes it much more versatile.

Did your Nano work out well for you?

So you don't recommend the car adaptor or is it just that you don't travel with it that much?

Any experience or recommendation with any of the other peripherals?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got a 30 Gig Ipod for Christmas with the Bose Triport Headphones. It is awfully nice having your entire ear covered with the headphones. And they do sound great.

As I was told when younger, never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear, I never quite warmed up to the little earplug speakers.

I got my wife the Bose Sounddock for her IPod ... and it is awesome too.

I may have to get the Bose Wave Radio as an alarm clock.

I don't listen to music much anymore, but it is nice to hear the music.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son took over the one I gave my husband last year. Really took it over, installed it in his new car but he can take it back and forth to the house. I should have thought of that first! I have a Bose system in my car already so with the ipod it would have been great! tW

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I've figured out how to get video on my iPod. When I got it and saw that it could handle video I was, like, "Cool!".

I quickly realized that my PC videos (the wmv files that Windows Media Player uses) wouldn't import into iTunes. QuickTime can't open them either.

I upgraded to QuickTime Pro. This gave me exporting options.

I can open a wmv file in Windows Movie Maker and convert it to an avi file. This will open in QuickTime Pro. I can then export the avi file to an ipod file that my iPod recognizes.

I don't know if there is a better way or not. I'm glad it works but it takes a bit of time to do the conversion.

Any gurus have a better suggestion?

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Did your Nano work out well for you?

Yup, just what I needed!

So you don't recommend the car adaptor or is it just that you don't travel with it that much?

Any experience or recommendation with any of the other peripherals?

For me, I make such short trips that setting up the adaptor is hardly worth the effort. If I make long trips, my kids are usually choosing the music anyways (on CDs).

But the speakers for at home are useful. I like those!