Thing Google just implemented...

T

TheRustyOne

if you go to google.com and enter in any listed home or business address, it will give you a name, address, and even a map. I can imagine some people are going to get up in arms about this over safety and such.

doesn't work for cell phones or unlisted numbers tho.

just thought this was interesting.

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by KenpoTess
yeah scary ~! I input our phone number and got directions to the school ~!!!

Hmmm. I can see that, as it might be considered a commercial address. What happens if you put in a residence?

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by pknox
Hmmm. I can see that, as it might be considered a commercial address. What happens if you put in a residence?

If you put in a residence phone number and it's listed, then the name and address of the person pops up. It is pretty scary.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If it is only posting numbers that are listed then it's really not that scary. Those numbers can be researched on several phone companies web sites. A lot of them offer reverse look up.
SBC (Southwestern Bell)
Verizon

You can even call the phone company and ask for the owner of the number and their address. Google just made it easier.

You can remove the info from Google here. But like it says, it only removes it from Google and no others.

OP
T

TheRustyOne

My dad's home number is unlisted since it got changed because *grumbles* phone companies are dumb*

but i tried my friend's home line and got their address and a mapquest link...

*twitch* evilsh.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
they're not doing anything you can't do yourself with either a regular phone book or a reverse directory. My number's unlisted, and nothing comes up. My work number lists my work addy, tho, which is fine, cause its City Hall, and that's kinda a hard to miss building in LA anyway. Just lists a street addy, no suite/floor #

OP
S

Spud

Google has been doing that for a while. As other's have said, it just removed a couple of steps that any 13-year old with a crush knows.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Entered my phone number and got my name, city, and Zip Code.

I knew about the reverse search sites but this is certainly, uh, convenient.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Folks,

With a little work, anyone can get that information if your number is listed. Most libraries have cross reference address/phone listings. If you have a particular number, you can look up the address and name of the resident. They come out on CD's now...and a person can buy them. Its not as convenient as Google, though...but Google isn't the first to do this.

So if you're worried about being stalked...get your number changed and unlisted. Even then, you'll be found by a determined person. There are plenty of old phone books out there that can be used for cross referencing and finding you.

You could do the above and MOVE of course. That might be asking too much.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions