There's a Hunger Out There...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
for self-defense instruction.

I've mentioned a few times before that I am a visiting instructor in my friend's tae kwon do school. I teach karate bunkai applied to the Chon-Ji series of hyung he uses in his curriculum. My friend brought me in because he injured himself over the summer and he just can't teach material like throws and breakfalls right now and truthfully I'm stronger in this aspect anyway.

I'm bragging a bit but my adult class is currently the second most popular class offered in his school for the over 16 age range. The most popular one is the 'kardio karate' class taught by his wife! Least popular is the sparring class where they usually point fight (not all the time).

I am a bit surprised that the general class where they focus on learning belt requirements isn't the top in attendence, but it kind of makes sense. Many adults don't care about belts and ranks - they want a good workout or some useful self-defense skills.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My wife would love a self defense only class. She has no interest in patterns, board breaking, belt testing, or uniforms. Our master is bringing more self defense into our curriculum, so I'm going to suggest he do a self defense only session.

Latest Discussions