The way of mercy

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A story i often tell people, even people who are not martial artists, is a story that moved me greatly. I believe it is contained in the book, essence of ninjutsu... it goes something like, and excuse me if i'm a tad off with the wording as i'm working from memory-as my book was taken to japan by a fellow ma; it is actually a memory of Hatsumisensei when he was studying with Takamatsusensei, at some point while practicing weapons and fighting movements, the young Hatsumisensei made some kind of mistake in his movements and promptly appologized to Takamatsusensei. Then Takamatsusensei replied, 'there is no need for you to appologize, when you make a mistake, it is not you that is at fault, i as your teacher am to blame for any mistake that you make.'

When i heard this story, i once again felt the authentic vibe from Takamatsusensei who as we can read about was a really tough warrior-type of person that had seen much brutality in his life and was a very tough man to say the least. So when i felt that mercy and love for the students, i was very moved.

Do you get what i'm saying? Often when i tell people the story, many are not that impressed. But recently i told it to this buddy of mine with whom i frequently philosophize, and upon hearing this tale, he immediately said, 'ah, so that is how the mercy is transferred.'
yes, i thought to myself...

this was right after we started talking about ma and he told me of a chinese martial arts master who was asked if it is possible for a woman to be a master or martial artist, the master replied,'it is not possible because as a martial artist, one needs to train all the time and women have a time when they cannot train' -
I promptly shared my opinion that i believe that this is a very oldfashioned way of thinking. My friend agreed. I said that men too, have their psycho moments while i motioned a crazy circular motion towards my head. My friend topped it off in his usual roman style and expounded that also men are sometimes more under the influence of Venus than of Palas.

Then i remembered another important line that Takamatsusensei had shared. He said that in life, there is a time to dormant and there is a time for action. One must know when the time for action is at hand so as to harmoniously flow with the inevitable changes in nature.

j

EWBell

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That Takamatsu sensei story always reminded me of what the great American Football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant would tell his team after a loss. "It is not your fault that we lost the game. It is my fault for not preparing you enough to win." I think this type of thing is done so the student, or in this case player, doesn't continue to think about their mistakes in a way that will hinder them in the future. Of course, the flip side of that would be more intense practices and running until you threw up, so I don't know about it being merciful. :D

OP
K

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting take! Definately i can see that happening too as a result of the positivity. I guess it's hard to know when scolding or harshness in needed, but more than often, people act all tough and allknowing just to stroke their own egos and take advantage of being in the position of a teacher or even a parent or law enforcer.
Kind of strange it seems that this world is often a world of fake harshness. No need to fear it really, foolish if one does. No need to fight it because it's sick on it's own. But it sure can be a pain in the *** if not a complete obstacle in life sometimes.

In the face of such lameness, a loving teacher or a really great parent is like a breath of fresh air.

j

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
That Takamatsu sensei story always reminded me of what the great American Football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant would tell his team after a loss. "It is not your fault that we lost the game. It is my fault for not preparing you enough to win." I think this type of thing is done so the student, or in this case player, doesn't continue to think about their mistakes in a way that will hinder them in the future. Of course, the flip side of that would be more intense practices and running until you threw up, so I don't know about it being merciful. :D

This would also have the effect of having the student feeling concern that their lack of preparation or performance would be hurting someone they respect or care about, so it's rather clever psychology as well to motivate someone.

Matt

Latest Discussions