The value of communicAtion?

stabpunch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What emphasis if any does your style place on communication?

Do you include drills intended to diffuse situations?

One way we use communication is during palm strike shield vocalising ***parade ground voice*** "BACK OFF".

After avoidance de-esculation is the next best form of self defense.

Any comments?

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What emphasis if any does your style place on communication?

Do you include drills intended to diffuse situations?

One way we use communication is during palm strike shield vocalising ***parade ground voice*** "BACK OFF".

After avoidance de-esculation is the next best form of self defense.

Any comments?

Thats not descalation. Descalation is essentially trying to diffuse the situation violence occurs, shouting BACK OFF at the opponent is unlikely to do that.
Attemtping to give a command to a would be attacker is more likely to cause an aggressive response than persuade him to walk away peacefully.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel that communication is very important if you have time for it. De-escalation does have some potential to work in some situations. If trying to "reason" with the person fails, or in a situation where it's not just a simple fight (i.e. a self-defense situation where you've been selected as a target and de-escalation is not going to work anyway), it's time for some strong verbal commands, again, presuming you have time.

Verbal commands (e.g. "Back Off," "Stop," etc.) can accomplish a few things. One, there is a chance that the person will realize that he's selected the wrong victim and leave you alone. Two, verbal commands ensure that any witnesses in the area will realize that you are not the aggressor. And finally, verbal commands can "cover your ***" when the BG's attorney tries to rake you over the coals. If you don't give verbal commands, there is a chance that you will be accused of beating this "poor innocent individual" without giving him any direction as to how he can modify his behavior to make the beating stop. By giving commands, you're letting him know that all he has to do to make the pain stop is to leave you alone.
I've heard it many times (including from one poster in this thread) that commands may just make the person more aggressive. If that's the case, oh well. They were already presenting a threat and if they get more aggressive when I give them a command, they are actually helping me in the sense that I can then say: "I told him to back off and at that point he just charged me. By ignoring my commands, he clearly demonstrated that he meant me harm." Once again...CYA.

That said, I'm not going to carry on a conversation with this guy. The verbal commands will be short and to the point and will be given in conjunction with strikes until he either disengages, or is no longer capable of presenting a threat.

And of course...there may be times when you don't want to call any attention to yourself or the situation. Just deal with it and move on.

OP
S

stabpunch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thats not descalation. Descalation is essentially trying to diffuse the situation violence occurs, shouting BACK OFF at the opponent is unlikely to do that.
Attemtping to give a command to a would be attacker is more likely to cause an aggressive response than persuade him to walk away peacefully.

Sorry i didn't mean to give an exmple of descalation, it is only an example of a drill which involves communication.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I feel that communication is very important if you have time for it. De-escalation does have some potential to work in some situations. If trying to "reason" with the person fails, or in a situation where it's not just a simple fight (i.e. a self-defense situation where you've been selected as a target and de-escalation is not going to work anyway), it's time for some strong verbal commands, again, presuming you have time.

Verbal commands (e.g. "Back Off," "Stop," etc.) can accomplish a few things. One, there is a chance that the person will realize that he's selected the wrong victim and leave you alone. Two, verbal commands ensure that any witnesses in the area will realize that you are not the aggressor. And finally, verbal commands can "cover your ***" when the BG's attorney tries to rake you over the coals. If you don't give verbal commands, there is a chance that you will be accused of beating this "poor innocent individual" without giving him any direction as to how he can modify his behavior to make the beating stop. By giving commands, you're letting him know that all he has to do to make the pain stop is to leave you alone.

Great post, it's amazing how many situations can be avoided when some one is shown an exit out, and until the exit is presented some will stay even when they don't want too.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actually, most of the stats say it's very likely to deescalate an impending attack on a woman. Check any reputable womens' self defense class in the past 15-20 years. See also children and teens dealing with bullies.

On the other hand, I don't recommend this technique if you're a guy who wants to calm down the drunk idjit two barstools down. In that case, you're absolutely right.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I've said in another thread, a peculiarly effective communication 'technique' if you're in a situation that is getting aggressive but has not yet devolved into violence is to shout in the would be assailants face "What's the time?!".

Such an unexpected non-sequitor can defuse things long enough for you to make your escape.

Latest Discussions